WTB roof rack for Mazda5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nellans57

:
07 Mazda5 Touring
I would prefer the OEM Mazda model, but would consider aftermarket like Yakima. Will also need installation instructions and hardware, if possible. Would be shipped to commercial address in ZIP 46563. Thanks!

I'd stick with the OE if you can. I heard a lot of complaints about aftermarket racks such as Yakima and Thule about wind noise.

Good luck with the find. I saw a set of used OEM ones on Kijiji (Toronto based buy/sell website) for 08-10 MZ5 and a cargo net for around $200 CND for both a month ago.

I have a Yakima system for sale

I'm getting ready to sell the Yakima roof system off my 5, if you're interested. It includes a fairing and either 60" load bars with a bit of age on them or a set of 48" load bars that are in nearly-new condition. I'm asking $200 plus actual shipping, whatever that comes out to. I just ran a quote from Rack Attack's site, and new this setup is about $331. You can reach me at somalley dot home at gmail dot com.

The 48" bars will give you the same width, I'm pretty sure, as an OEM rack - room for a luggage box or probably up to 3 bike trays. The 60" bars will accommodate 4 bikes, possibly 5, or two whitewater canoes plus a mountain bike - can you tell I have experience with this? :D

BTW, the fairing pretty much solves the wind noise issue and also buys back a couple of mpg versus "naked" bars. I've run roof racks on various cars for the last 20 years, and I can't recommend fairings enough. Anyway, that's for another thread.

I'll include some pictures below.

I have a sunroof on my 2007 5, and with the towers at Yakima-recommended spacing, the fairing feet just barely clear the sunroof opening. I could have slid them forward an inch or so, but I never saw reason to do so, since everything operates just fine as is:

IMGP2197.jpg

IMGP2189.jpg

Closeup of a front tower:

IMGP2190.jpg

Closeup of a rear tower:

IMGP2191.jpg

Closeup to show some of the age/rust on the a 60" bar:

IMGP2192.jpg

Below are the 48" bars. I took a closeup of the ends so you could see that the galvanizing is pretty much like new inside - no rust yet, the way there is on the 60" bars I currently have mounted.

IMGP2195.jpg

IMGP2196.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back