WTB PRE-CAT and Catalytic Converter

pinoiboi82

:
2002 MAZDA Protege5
Wassup Guys,

I am in need of help!!! Im currently living in the United Kingdom (serving in the Air Force) and my 02 Protege5 Threw multiple codes including P0421....One of my friends who is a trustworthy automechanic says that the Pre-Cat in between the 02 Sensors could be bad. I spent endless days and nights trying to find a website that will provide me with the proper parts and when I do find the parts I find out that they don't ship to APO addresses (WHICH IS B.S!!!) is there anybody that has their stock exhaust system lying around the garage......my car is all stock, no aftermarket exhaust system. If anybody has the pre-cat and wants to sell theirs that would be great and if you also have the 2nd cat that that would be awesome. Willing to buy both!!!(rockon)

Just do the sparkplug non-fouler mod to the 2nd O2 sensor and the CEL for the 1st Cat won't come back. This is what you are looking for:

42009.jpg

Just drill one of them out so the tip of the O2 sensor will fit through it then screw the sensor into it and then screw that assembly into the other non-drilled one. Then screw it all into the 2nd O2 bung.

While you are working on it...take the 1st cat off the car and knock all the ceramic out of it. Car performs a little better and sounds better.

Last edited:
That sounds good but Im sure that the non-fouler won't solve the symptoms of a bad Precat or Catalytic Converter i.e. Slow Proformance and bad Gas Mileage..............Just the CEL light

xelderx said:
Just do the sparkplug non-fouler mod to the 2nd O2 sensor and the CEL for the 1st Cat won't come back. This is what you are looking for:

42009.jpg

Just drill one of them out so the tip of the O2 sensor will fit through it then screw the sensor into it and then screw that assembly into the other non-drilled one. Then screw it all into the 2nd O2 bung.

While you are working on it...take the 1st cat off the car and knock all the ceramic out of it. Car performs a little better and sounds better.

Thats what I told him... in the other thread...

pinoiboi82 said:
That sounds good but Im sure that the non-fouler won't solve the symptoms of a bad Precat or Catalytic Converter i.e. Slow Proformance and bad Gas Mileage..............Just the CEL light

Yes it will... your car is running in "limp mode" because of the CEl, if the CEL is gone your car will run just fine. A bad cat in itself wont make your car run bad, and gutting out the cat will acually increase performance and exhaust flow, probably resulting in better gas mileage.

And the first Cat is pretty useless anyway. It's a free mod to gut it. It takes about 30 mins to an hour. Just spray all the nuts and bolts holding it on with penetrating fluid the night before you get started and use air tools to get it off.

jeg0024 said:
Thats what I told him... in the other thread...

Yes it will... your car is running in "limp mode" because of the CEl, if the CEL is gone your car will run just fine. A bad cat in itself wont make your car run bad, and gutting out the cat will acually increase performance and exhaust flow, probably resulting in better gas mileage.

Sounds good.....I'll definitely do the spark plug non-fouler and seeing that theres a "how to" on the process, installing it would be a snap. But Im not sure of "gutting out" the pre-cat, is there a HOW TO on this or is this a straight shot, as in "GUT" (remove) everyting that in the 1st cat?

pinoiboi82 said:
Sounds good.....I'll definitely do the spark plug non-fouler and seeing that theres a "how to" on the process, installing it would be a snap. But Im not sure of "gutting out" the pre-cat, is there a HOW TO on this or is this a straight shot, as in "GUT" (remove) everyting that in the 1st cat?

Aren't you installing a header? Why would you bother messing around with the pre-cat?

pinoiboi82 said:
Wassup Guys,

I am in need of help!!! Im currently living in the United Kingdom (serving in the Air Force) and my 02 Protege5 Threw multiple codes including P0421....One of my friends who is a trustworthy automechanic says that the Pre-Cat in between the 02 Sensors could be bad. I spent endless days and nights trying to find a website that will provide me with the proper parts and when I do find the parts I find out that they don't ship to APO addresses (WHICH IS B.S!!!) is there anybody that has their stock exhaust system lying around the garage......my car is all stock, no aftermarket exhaust system. If anybody has the pre-cat and wants to sell theirs that would be great and if you also have the 2nd cat that that would be awesome. Willing to buy both!!!(rockon)

i see that you have the same problem i am going through. i was able to find brand new cats for half the price than the dealership. they are california and OBDII compliant so there shoudnt be any problems if you are trying to smog your car. here is the link if you are interested. good luck!

http://www.convertergeek.com/epcstartreverse.epc?cookieID=24617QEHD2470YGC39&drillid=7&engineid=2.04@@%2D+2%2E0L+%2D+CC%3A4+%2D++%2D+Electric+%2D&clientid=convertergeek

mp5wgn said:
i see that you have the same problem i am going through. i was able to find brand new cats for half the price than the dealership. they are california and OBDII compliant so there shoudnt be any problems if you are trying to smog your car. here is the link if you are interested. good luck!

http://www.convertergeek.com/epcstartreverse.epc?cookieID=24617QEHD2470YGC39&drillid=7&engineid=2.04@@%2D+2%2E0L+%2D+CC%3A4+%2D++%2D+Electric+%2D&clientid=convertergeek

there aren't any mazdas on that link past 2001...

thrasher said:
Aren't you installing a header? Why would you bother messing around with the pre-cat?

Im not planning on installing a header.....just to let you know that Im living in the United Kingdom, they have very strict rules on whats street legal and whats not (Probably more strict than Cali) ...plus it doesn't help that my car is an american spec.

BTW: that website doesn't ship to APO addresses.......the search continues......

Back