wtb mazdaspeed protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much you looking for that's quite a few miles

$4500 asking price. It's got 161k right now, that was a typo. It runs great, unmodified. Has a few minor things it needs done but I drive it every day. I'm only selling to get a truck so I can haul and tow my jeep. I'm going to list it soon.

dont listen to evil monkey, hes a penis ( ;) ) as long as the motors are taken care of properly and not abused, id say its worth a look. but i wouldnt look at anything thats been run over 10 psi. if it has been run over 10psi, it better have supporting mods. but these cars can handle additional boost if they are well maintained and not abused.

I have a 2003 black mica speed 39k miles stock no mods done on car !!!! looking for at least 8300 for it if you are interested!
also have about 3500 in mods for the car that I never have installed !!!!!
Would sell it all for right price !
Mods included
FMIC - CAI - Moto mounts ( full-set ) unichip - 3' Stainless exhaust - meth inject unit - speedsteed exhaust mani polished- intake mani - steering gauge pod- tripl pod - cross drilled rotors -alum thero housing - red caliper paint and much more need to dig it all out .

Last edited:
I would honestly be careful with buying an msp in general. They have an oil starvation problem when they are hot. I will say there are alot of benefits with them! They handle and ride great, get good mpg, stereo is really nice for stock setup, interior is clean and comfy. But to purchase one it should be stock! But....you have to think how the previous owner took care of it!! Some people just cant drive a stick n mess the tranny n clutch up quickly, some people dont watch the oil levels or do preventative maintenance!

Its all an opinion, mine blew up at 126k, after parting it out and looking at everything. The previous owner modded the car, kept all the stock parts, put all stock parts back on and traded it in to a dealer. So me being second owner was happy to buy a one owner car only for it to blow up a year and a half later. I put 50K on it in a little over a year, all highway miles. Took extreme good care of it and it still went kaboom! To me, a daily driver cannot be a toy! Good luck with the search and choose wisely!

Hey dude, See if you can buy a "shell" or see if that guy will sell you everything MINUS the engine if you concern is reliability, you can always convince him that he can put his engine on ebay or CL or someting like that....this might sound silly to you but TRUST ME is easier to start fresh than to figure out someone else's problems, I guarantee this is the cheaper way!! All this is assuming that you will want to modify the MSP, if not i'd just buy it and have some"fun" with it..my 2 cents

Hey dude, See if you can buy a "shell" or see if that guy will sell you everything MINUS the engine if you concern is reliability, you can always convince him that he can put his engine on ebay or CL or someting like that....this might sound silly to you but TRUST ME is easier to start fresh than to figure out someone else's problems, I guarantee this is the cheaper way!! All this is assuming that you will want to modify the MSP, if not i'd just buy it and have some"fun" with it..my 2 cents
yeah true since im looking for a dd. i have to drive 40 mins everyday for school. i baby the hell out of cars. but i do know alot of these have been beatin pretty good

yeah true since im looking for a dd. i have to drive 40 mins everyday for school. i baby the hell out of cars. but i do know alot of these have been beatin pretty good

If I were you i'd try test driving one ( if that is possible) and decide from there.
FYI: after driving this car and realize that you can out maneuver like half the cars on the road you will want MORE POWER!!! Our cars are slow ( lets face it) BUT put her on some twisties and she will shine like a new penny....

when ever someone drives my car ( very rare) they ALWAYS comment on two things
1) your car is fast ( its boosted)
2) your SH*T handles well, what suspension you got

Having just been thru the MSP buying process (and research I did prior to buying one)….some possible question to ask
How many owners (fewer is better)
If the current owner moded the car ask them what mods they made. (check out the “what Mods for the Daily Drive Post” they should fall in line with that for the most part).
If they boosted it ask them what boost they ran (more than 10 psi beware, if stock internals)… if it still runs smoothly you could probably claim that they didn’t break anything, but its a lot of stress on the stock internals, clutch and tranny..
Don’t know what the smog laws are in your area, but make sure that you have the stock parts just in case, or it is already Smog legal (ask when it was last smogged… a bit deal in CA where I live). Lack of Cats could be a particular PITA.
Talk with the owner and find out how they take car of their cars (you should be able to pick up on that after some discussion).
Dealers will ask seeming crazy prices $11,000 (for a 50-60k car), and they claim to get it in my neck of the woods… don’t know who is paying that kind of money. But private parties seems to fetch $7,000 ish more or less. Be patient… Mine has 102K, but it has the mods I would do anyway (minimal, like aftermatket Side Mounted Intercooler, hardpipes, BPV and a boost gauge). It also had an aftermarket LSD differential and a Stage 1 clutch, all nice daily driver mods; and I paid less than $6k. Most of all take it for a drive (a couple different ones if you can), and do lean into it enough to see how it responses to boost, and verify that the turbo is health and doesn’t make any strange noises.

Having just been thru the MSP buying process (and research I did prior to buying one)….some possible question to ask
How many owners (fewer is better)
If the current owner moded the car ask them what mods they made. (check out the “what Mods for the Daily Drive Post” they should fall in line with that for the most part).
If they boosted it ask them what boost they ran (more than 10 psi beware, if stock internals)… if it still runs smoothly you could probably claim that they didn’t break anything, but its a lot of stress on the stock internals, clutch and tranny..
Don’t know what the smog laws are in your area, but make sure that you have the stock parts just in case, or it is already Smog legal (ask when it was last smogged… a bit deal in CA where I live). Lack of Cats could be a particular PITA.
Talk with the owner and find out how they take car of their cars (you should be able to pick up on that after some discussion).
Dealers will ask seeming crazy prices $11,000 (for a 50-60k car), and they claim to get it in my neck of the woods… don’t know who is paying that kind of money. But private parties seems to fetch $7,000 ish more or less. Be patient… Mine has 102K, but it has the mods I would do anyway (minimal, like aftermatket Side Mounted Intercooler, hardpipes, BPV and a boost gauge). It also had an aftermarket LSD differential and a Stage 1 clutch, all nice daily driver mods; and I paid less than $6k. Most of all take it for a drive (a couple different ones if you can), and do lean into it enough to see how it responses to boost, and verify that the turbo is health and doesn’t make any strange noises.

all the info is great and appricated for sure. i never got a chance to test drive the one the guy said it needed sway brushings and a wheel bearing so i never looked at it. but i have a very good frien who has had a srt4 jetta 1.8t and vr4 twinturbo so he knows the boost. and he is gonna go with me when i do go. im assuming the boost in the msp isnt much different than most cars so he should be a big help

The handling comment......I just gotta say the handling is AWESOME for a stock little car. I had a 94 trans am 6spd LT1 ridin my ass on an extremely curvy Long road. He was rippin on me for bein a ricer, I laughed n said ok, well keep up in these corners if you can......ya, needless to say the guy did not catch up to me for a few miles after I snagged I think 3 good turns! Loll....ricers arent all about fart cans and speed. Some build them right and do it for handling purposes! I could keep up with an Mazdaspeed 6 in the corners n catch up but come straights your done for haha. Those Speed 6's are just fyuckin quick

The handling comment......I just gotta say the handling is AWESOME for a stock little car. I had a 94 trans am 6spd LT1 ridin my ass on an extremely curvy Long road. He was rippin on me for bein a ricer, I laughed n said ok, well keep up in these corners if you can......ya, needless to say the guy did not catch up to me for a few miles after I snagged I think 3 good turns! Loll....ricers arent all about fart cans and speed. Some build them right and do it for handling purposes! I could keep up with an Mazdaspeed 6 in the corners n catch up but come straights your done for haha. Those Speed 6's are just fyuckin quick

this has almost turned into a off topic thread lol. honestly im still looking hard. trying to sell my eclipse for extra money but well the market is tough. i also just switched jobs and have been out of work for 4 weeks. so you know how that goes with bills and stuff soo it may be a little bit of time before i get one. but hey im still looking and really hopping that i can find one soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back