WTB - Clear bra for Mazdaspeed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait till after winter when the inside is completely chipped and scratched up from all the road grim that has collected over the few months, then maybe you might want to rethink about a clear bra.

Im in so cali we dont get bad winters here, no its not on too often just when I drive freeways. As soon as I get home I take it off, no scratches. It does look like crap on the car though.

Geesh, the only last 5 years max in the first place and a front clip paint job is less than $800. So, get your clip painted every 5 years (insurance claim if you do it right) and call it even...

now that's interesting??? You say 5 years that is correct if I buy crap 20 mil film yes. The stuff I use and have installed on Porsches that are older then 5 years installed with NO issues what so ever, so some how I just don't think you would want to spend 800 to have ur front clip repainted since EVERYTHING else is faded, that would look just fantastic HUH??

to anybody thinking about doing it, definitely go for it. just set aside a day to put it on. probably better to get a friend to help.

pain in the ass to do but after having it on for a monthish...can't imagine not having it.

there are 2 vendors on ebay that are 3M certified and they send along the install video (watch it).

thanks everyone for all the info. due to unfortunate circumstances IRL i wont be able to make an immediate purchase as i first planned... so ill have to put this on the backburner for the meantime. thanks also for those of you who sent me quotes.

Geesh, the only last 5 years max in the first place and a front clip paint job is less than $800. So, get your clip painted every 5 years (insurance claim if you do it right) and call it even...

Less then 800, you go to a cheap shop. Where I get my work done the average full car job runs close to 7k. All Sikens paint and trained techs.

If you have the opportunity you should really get this done early before you get too many chips or imperfections. I had mine put on with around 1000 miles on the car and still had a half dozen scratches you can see through the clear bra.

You treat it the same way you would the paint, wash it regular and wax it. The guy that installed mine told me a neat trick if youve got a long trip and are going to plaster the car with bugs, spray the bra down with PAM and they will slide right off, you will have to wash the PAM off the bra after but it will come off easier than trying to scrub bugs off. Dont use your nails or anything to try and scrape anything off either.

simple green works wonders on the Godzilla sized bugs we have here.

*I just looked on ebay, for an MS3 a full frontal kit is $180. I may try it myself or get my shop to do it.

Last edited:
simple green works wonders on the Godzilla sized bugs we have here.

*I just looked on ebay, for an MS3 a full frontal kit is $180. I may try it myself or get my shop to do it.

I use turtle wax bug and tar remover it works well and is only around $3.

The kit itself isnt the expensive part, its finding a certified installer or even someone who will attempt it and then the labor costs. Mine took just shy of 8hrs so mine worked out to be ~ $100/hr including cost of the kit.

I'm noticing all my rock chips that are a couple inches above where the bra ends I couldnt imagine what the front of my car would look like without it. To do the full hood and fenders would have doubled the price to $1600 though.

Hey matt, you shouldn't be getting any chips on the hood at all, the kit I install the hood piece is 24" from front to back that covers basically the entire down curve on the hood, how tall is ur piece?? And who did u get the kit from??

I use turtle wax bug and tar remover it works well and is only around $3.

The kit itself isnt the expensive part, its finding a certified installer or even someone who will attempt it and then the labor costs. Mine took just shy of 8hrs so mine worked out to be ~ $100/hr including cost of the kit.

I'm noticing all my rock chips that are a couple inches above where the bra ends I couldnt imagine what the front of my car would look like without it. To do the full hood and fenders would have doubled the price to $1600 though.

Hey matt, you shouldn't be getting any chips on the hood at all, the kit I install the hood piece is 24" from front to back that covers basically the entire down curve on the hood, how tall is ur piece?? And who did u get the kit from??

Mine goes about 18" up the hood I think, I'm getting chips near the top of the hood and a nasty one on the a pillar and some on my rear doors and rims. Maybe I just need to slow down my driving. I had mine done at a place called paintshield and they used avery/xpel film i forget which was the kit and which was the film.

I think you can see the line in the picture here
DSC_5673.jpg

Yea mine definately comes up almost another 10" on yours. I have not seen any chips on my front hood or pillars but I did get one bad gash on my rear door on the bottom of the fold. Oh well shyt happens.

Yea mine definately comes up almost another 10" on yours. I have not seen any chips on my front hood or pillars but I did get one bad gash on my rear door on the bottom of the fold. Oh well shyt happens.

damn, which brand clear bra did you get? Having a white car i didnt want to go with a brand that would yellow quick, the guy that did mine said he had every brand and suggested avery/x-pel for my car but led me to believe all the patterns were the same

LOL... Matt, your hood would look like mine. I think it adds character to the car. LOL

well on my car its easier to notice the black primer under the white paint and the peppered look isnt what i was looking for.

as said above, normal wash and wax is fine. it's actually pretty touch and very difficult to scratch at all. i've used my nail to scrap sticky things off and no blemishes. just start gentle.

The brand that I Install is 3M, guaranteed for life to never yellow, crack or peel, it's 8mil. Avery makes some really nice stuff too, but it's not warrantied for life, I believe its only for 5 years. The avery kit is pretty good, but they seem to cut the kits to small actually, and yes the "patterns" are the same but it's the actual cut of the pattern is what makes the difference.

I think you can see the line in the picture here
DSC_5673.jpg
[/QUOTE]

See how your hood piece has a curve on the top, mine goes straight across installed...that's where the difference comes in as I was saying about the cut of the pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back