Wtb: Anything and everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
all these people who have no clue...cutting a coil off a spring wont do s***. It'll lower the car, make the car bouncy, and thats it. If you cut half of the spring off, obviously that will make the car bounce all over the place, which can cause damage i guess, but if you cut half the spring, you kinda deserve it

Last edited:
Makes the car bouncier, makes it easier to bottom out, which is hard on your alignment, shocks, tires, tie rods, control arms. Your car wont ride as smooth or handle as well. Also remember that the shock is under pressure. Once you have cut your springs your probably going to want to cut the bushing a little as well. With the ability of the shock to be compressed more than its supposed to you risk blowing a shock. Your putting more pressure on rigid suspension components to take up the slack from the reduced spring rate.

Not to mention some insurance companies will lower pay outs if they find out. Or even throw out your claim saying that your mod reduced the suspension system performance.

If you are going to cut them then at least get better shocks. Make sure that you cut all 4 of them at the same time so you can be certain they are perfectly the same size. If they are not then you change the alignment as well. Which can lead to other problems. I have seen after over a decade on the track even the best cut springs go badly. I spent three years working under my dad when I was 15-18 at a garage where race cars were built. People used to also bring in a lot of cars they wanted to form into full race vehicles. Even the best and well thought out cut springs in the end cost more than just getting lowering springs.

lowering springs on factory struts will do the same as cut springs. They both put more strain on the struts since they are not designed to ride that far compressed down. Some say its bad to run 10psi of boost on a stock fsde bottom end, do people do it? yes. is it recommended? no, but they still do it. An insurance company could also lower the pay out if they feel any sort of modification is done to the car that is not D.O.T. approved whether its lighting, performance, safety restraints, or anything for that matter.

Cutting springs is just stupid, and that's that. The only reason people do it is because they are too cheap to buy quality replacements. If you half ass it the first time, you can guarantee there will be a 2nd time. In the end it is just more money being wasted.

But let's not clutter this gentleman's thread. Buy my FPR :)

For those who can't read, they are not cut stock springs. They are cut eibachs that were cut when I received them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back