wrx sti...trade worth it ?

i agree with person above awd is way better i used to drive one handling in rain you feel like a king haha!
and its takes of right away !

Agreed - with a few smart mods, you should be able to close the gap on an STI. However, that's not the whole story. The STI has a very fleshed out aftermarket. Tuning solutions abound, and just about every part you could want is on offer from multiple manufacturers. Only a TBE and reflash(st2) are required to get the STI to 350/392, or simply a reflash(st1) to hit 330/340. At this point the car still has plenty of potential just waiting for a larger turbo. It's a time tested a proven platform with a financial residual value to match.

Unfortantly the STi has the complete advantage when it comes to the world of aftermarket parts and power vs the MS3 hands down. Yes you are paying 12k more for a STi, but look what you are getting, a complete fully built street legal race car. I give Corvettes a run for there money and eat mustang GT's and camaro Z28's for breakfast. Now don't get me wrong, I tried my hardest to get a MS3 before I got my STi, but I got a complete steal on the STi and couldn't pass it up.

(drive2)

well, i understand that the ms3 can go faster with a couple mods, But I'm the type of guy that like versatility than just going fast on a straight line. I always loved hatches, and to find an awd hatchback is priceless...

I never really liked drag racing, nor autocrossing my car, i'm more of the daily driver type of guy that makes sure that i can have fun driving and also being safe as well. Although ive been to a couple drag racing places , it;s only to test my car's capabilities, and that is all :). the reason i am looking into the sti is because of strictly awd. I understand i can buy snow tires, but snow tires with awd is much better ;).

As for the wife... she really sucks driving....almost lost control of the ms3 a couple of times when it's raining,,,,, and THAT i cannot afford to happen :)

It'll be interesting to see how refined the new STI is and/or if it loses it's purity; when I drove a friend's '04 I had the following impressions: Awesome engine, great shifter, crappy clutch, great handling (though it understeered alot under power, which suprised me), tank-like ride quality, strong brakes, so-so styling, cheap interior. So pricing aside, I'd take the STI for hard driving but for me the MS3 is a far better daily driver. A better ride/handling compromise, more comfortable seat (a big deal on road trips!) and it feels more expensive than it is. FWD, the shifter and the engine running out of steam well before redline are the biggest letdowns on this car, but it's still damn fun to drive hard and isn't at all punishing to drive slow which is what I have to do 90% of the time. With snow tires it's very capable on winter roads, any car's going to suck with summer tires.

Unfortantly the STi has the complete advantage when it comes to the world of aftermarket parts and power vs the MS3 hands down. Yes you are paying 12k more for a STi, but look what you are getting, a complete fully built street legal race car. I give Corvettes a run for there money and eat mustang GT's and camaro Z28's for breakfast. Now don't get me wrong, I tried my hardest to get a MS3 before I got my STi, but I got a complete steal on the STi and couldn't pass it up.

(drive2)

Got any mods on your STI yet? I hope you're at least at stage 2.

Got any mods on your STI yet? I hope you're at least at stage 2.

Ya i'm stage 2, but not too many mods. APS TBE 3.5 inch race exhaust, Cobb AP v2 (street software, protune), and CAI. For suspention I got a Front rear strut bar and Rear strut bar. :cool: It works for now.

Just FYI for those that don't know yet, it's not STi anymore...it was officially changed to STI a while back.

Anyway you spell it, though, it is too expensive. Starts at 36K? For less than that price you will be able to get a 135i, which is 6 cylinder with twin turbos and it will have better handling.

You guys are getting a little off topic, he was asking for the opinion of getting the new HATCH STi vs his MS3.. not a BMW

Uhh the subie is 4 door... might want to relook at the pic posted above?

Ahah!! that it is... good looks...lol....to the untrained eye, it looks to be a 2door!! Thanks for the double take. (band2)

OP,

Post #22 by BayAreaMS3 has pics of an article ran in SUBIESPORT December 2007 issue. That article is a review of the USDM 2008 STI at Laguna Seca. If you can't read the article in the pics, go and buy the mag and read up. They are very impressed with the new car stating it is the fastest USDM STI to date as it set the fastest time at Laguna Seca for USDM STIs.

MSRP is listed at $34,995 (base) and a quote in the article has them saying:

"Regardless of the trim, however, this is probably the fastest and most capable car you can buy for less than $50,000."

The trim comment was in regards to another quote:

"It's only a shame that the interior hasn't kept pace with the performance envelope of the ever-evolving STI iterations. In short, it's fine. For a $20,000 car."

Whatever the case, most STI owners do not buy the car for the interior aspects of the car. You buy it for the ballz out performance built into the car. I was not a big fan of Subaru going to a hatch for the WRX STI, but in this case, I think this STI is going to be a nice leap forward in performance.

OP,

Post #22 by BayAreaMS3 has pics of an article ran in SUBIESPORT December 2007 issue. That article is a review of the USDM 2008 STI at Laguna Seca. If you can't read the article in the pics, go and buy the mag and read up. They are very impressed with the new car stating it is the fastest USDM STI to date as it set the fastest time at Laguna Seca for USDM STIs.

MSRP is listed at $34,995 (base) and a quote in the article has them saying:

"Regardless of the trim, however, this is probably the fastest and most capable car you can buy for less than $50,000."

The trim comment was in regards to another quote:

"It's only a shame that the interior hasn't kept pace with the performance envelope of the ever-evolving STI iterations. In short, it's fine. For a $20,000 car."

Whatever the case, most STI owners do not buy the car for the interior aspects of the car. You buy it for the ballz out performance built into the car. I was not a big fan of Subaru going to a hatch for the WRX STI, but in this case, I think this STI is going to be a nice leap forward in performance.

Very nice research (drinks)

I don't care that much about prestige, nevertheless the Sti is more prestigeous than any Mazdaspeed. And the Impreza Sti is tuned by rally pro drivers! ;)

well the Subi will have roughly 305 hp, i know the 2.0 jap spec STi will be there so the 2.5 in the US will not be much more cause subaru wont let it, it will more than likely make more torque though. The hatch was decided on by a subaru rally racer he said that Subaru should go with that body because it makes the overhangs smaller which inhances the weight distribution and makes for better handling. So obviously Subaru listened to him. After seeing the X run against its old self (its slower) i would say that the new STi will beat it since its faster than the old ones by a touch. plus its a hatch not a sedan(which the lancer is small for a sedan anyways). Oh and once again its got that nasty mean sounding opposed engine. a big upgrade for them is to make them front mount, makes them faster. oh and the new interior is great compared to the old one, another reason that subaru made this car was to start marketing it to the more mature crowd who were turned off by the old boy racer body and the dual color scheme inside. (doughpoke Haha just saw that smiley it made me laugh.

Oh and 135i will be in the HIGH 30s the 128 with the NA inline six is going to be around 31k and will have great handling...no LSD since BMW uses a break style LSD by applying the breaks to the wheels that are spinning.

Last edited:
Back