WRX STi Or Mazdaspeed Protge ????????

YuYuRena said:
Ahh the hype, any car can have any value. BMW can worth more than a STi or the STi can worth more than a Bimmer, it's all to the buyer and what he's willing to pay. About the mileage on a car, actually the most stressful time on the engine is actually cold-starting, not really how many mileages are on the engine. Cold starting is when all the parts in the engine doesn't have to the most adequate lubrication = most wear on the engine, so an engine with frequent cold start can actually wear out the engine faster than a high mileage engine.

And back 2 the subject of the STi vs. MSP, well STi pushes like a fat kid rolling thru mud. Don't know what people's obession with AWD, it's nice and safe, but it ain't the best way to race. First, you loss the most out of all drivetrain configuration (FWD, AWD, RWD) due to more components in the drivetrain. Plus AWD aren't good for racing, cuz it doesn't let you turn, hence the safety factor of all wheel drive. Now I'm talking about track racing, not considering off-road racing. The only way STi is more performance than MSP is cuz it got more power so the car accelerate faster, but that doesn't make it a better car. Car with less HP can and did beat it, i.e. EVO. So with that in mind, give me 31k, and a choice between STi and a MSP: I'll pick MSP, cuz the money save goes into MSP's engine and the STi will have a handful against a now more capable MSP.

Which is why back in the early 90s the Skyline GTR broke the record around some austrlian ciruit by like nearly 30 seconds, and after like 4 years it was BANNED from the racing circuit even AFTER limiting boost to 19 psi and having it carry a 160KG balissast, it was still concedered TOO fast.

Sorry to say AWD > FWD.

thats the dumbest comparison i've ever seen sti vs msp :wtf:

anyways i think the sti is an ugly car. great preformance but terrible looking exterior.

31k i'd rather get a mazdaspeed rx8 or a pimped out g35

The msp is the best looking 4door car in its class at ANY value. Thats extremely important to me although I know a lot of you disagree.

I dont see the issue here. The STi is just a tuned version of the Impreza. The MSP is just a tuned version of the protege. Apples to Bigger, faster apples.

At any rate, the MSP is a GREAT buy. I love mine, and I came from a modded WRX. Both cars are equally easy to drive, and while the STi has far more power, you can make up for that with the 12000 (14000 in my case) you save. ITs a matter of preference. They are strikingly similar.

Seriously.

Incidentally, my friend is a mechanic and has lots of cars from an original Alpina 6, Renault R5 turbo and Turbo2, as well as modded M3s. He just put down a deposit on an EVO and when I brought my car over to him, he looked at it, drove it, and after I told him I only paid 17000 for it, he straight faced told me "I wish i hadnt put down my deposit!"

I ask him if he is serious and he tells me that with 4000 he can make the MSP so much faster than the EVO and still have moneys left to spare.

Just my two cents
--Adam

This has turned into a really stupid post. STi vs. MSP...what a comparison this has turned out to be. I see this post as another way for MSP owners and Mazda Protege Purists to enlarge their egos and try to say that the Protege is better than another vehicle that clearly out performs it in pretty much all categories. But just as other members have already stated. It's all personal preference and it really is a waste of time to try to persuade someone else that what you prefer is right and they are wrong. So if you feel that the STi is better looking, faster, not over priced for what you get, then more power to ya. And if you feel the MSP is a better buy, faster, better looking and you can modify it to be faster than the STi, then more power to ya.:D

Last edited:
just remember one thing you are forgetting fellows. you take the sti $31,000 now the msp 19,000 thats $12,000 if we took that extra 12 grand and put in the msp an sti couldnt even suck our tail pipe... thats how i look at it.. i could have bought an sti but thats too easy i wanna challenge so now i plan on beating one intsead and if i am really confident just race him for pinks than i have both lol

APEXistud said:
This has turned into a really stupid post. STi vs. MSP...what a comparison this has turned out to be. I see this post as another way for MSP owners and Mazda Protege Purists to enlarge their egos and try to say that the Protege is better than another vehicle that clearly out performs it in pretty much all categories. But just as other members have already stated. It's all personal preference and it really is a waste of time to try to persuade someone else that what you prefer is right and they are wrong. So if you feel that the STi is better looking, faster, not over priced for what you get, then more power to ya. And if you feel the MSP is a better buy, faster, better looking and you can modify it to be faster than the STi, then more power to ya.:D

Um, ok dude. :wtf:

BigGun has nailed it. STOCK STI and STOCK MSP aren't in the same category, in price OR power.

Drop the $ difference into an MSP though and (getsome)

I got spanked by a Z06 at the track last week. He ran a 12.69. A friend of mine told me the car was modded though.

What I mean by Protege Purists tryin to boost their ego is that those member out there who dislike a car mainly because it's not a Protege. Ever car crowd has them, just like Civic guys, Subaru guys, etc. Don't get me wrong, the MSP is a great car, but even after you spend $12k modding it, sure it will be fast and uncivilized to drive, that would run along the lines of stupidity. Why not just by the faster car off the bat and call it a day. I'd hardly call the WRX and econobox, it's clearly more refined than a Protege. At least jred321 agree's with me in saying that this is a pointless post and I too think it should be placed in off-topic.

They're both great cars in their respective classes, but key point is *different classes*...thats all there is to it. No more flames..

BigGun22 said:
just remember one thing you are forgetting fellows. you take the sti $31,000 now the msp 19,000 thats $12,000 if we took that extra 12 grand and put in the msp an sti couldnt even suck our tail pipe... thats how i look at it.. i could have bought an sti but thats too easy i wanna challenge so now i plan on beating one intsead and if i am really confident just race him for pinks than i have both lol

Yeah, you could void 96.87% warranty with $12,000 of mod.

Come on, the STi has 4WD and 6spd. I dont know how you relate a modified MSP to STi???

Daemos said:
Which is why back in the early 90s the Skyline GTR broke the record around some austrlian ciruit by like nearly 30 seconds, and after like 4 years it was BANNED from the racing circuit even AFTER limiting boost to 19 psi and having it carry a 160KG balissast, it was still concedered TOO fast.

Sorry to say AWD > FWD.

You guys didn't get it. Skyline Drivetrain isn't AWD full time. In fact it's actually RWD until the car goes into skid then it switches onto AWD. And that's my point. About that touring car series?? Well, considering the mixture of the cars that were raced, there were other factors besides just the drivetrain. STi's drivetrain is full time AWD. If you want something similar AWD system to what Skyline has, check out the 911 Turbo, our the new Infiniti FX450, that SUV is the SUV I would get, hehe if some had to make me pick a SUV. It's drivetrain is the skyline GT-R, fyi. you know the regular skyline didn't have AWD either. And if you want a point in racing comparing RWD to AWD, there's plenty of case of that. YES Skyline's AWD is awesome, hands down, and yes the quattro is legendry, it's record is awesome. But for track racing, the weight saving and more efficient drivetrain of the RWD beats AWD in my book.

And yes this is off-topic, move this thread mod.

Lastly, I respect both cars and actually all the cars mentioned here, but to a point, people stop jumping on the bandwagon of STi and EVO and AWD craze, it's getting to the point of that Civic and Honda things a couple of years ago. Both cars are awesome and great value at their respective price range, but there's plenty of other cars out there that deserve some attentions, too.

RWD in a race car is king. AWD is nice but most racers prefer RWD for the control/driveability over AWD.
In the rain its a different story though

yeah, i like my MSP and its revolutionary full time front wheel drive

Back