WRX owner looking at Mazda5 for 3rd child

Sounds like you've decided on extra car seats instead of an extra car.

Still, the 5 would fit your needs perfectly, IMO, because you already said you use the RX for long trips, which I perhaps mistakenly took to mean you don't need a bigger 'mini'van for long trip capabilities. We have a 5 and a Baja (not a WRX, but similarly fast) and despite LOVING the Baja I occasionally feel like taking the 5 to work. We have 2 kids under 6, but the wife often has another kid or even 2 more with her during the day.

On long trips (we have taken the 5 to southern AZ and back a couple times) the thing that gets to me about the 5 is not the space it's the sportiness. Sportiness is fun and nice but not for a 12-hour freeway trip. For that a big Buick is the best thing in the world because it's smooth and quiet. In any event, we've thought very hard about a trailer hitch to hold a cargo carrier w/sack or box in it for long trips. IMO they're better than roof racks for loading/unloading and for mpg. We'll probably get one if we start back up on long trips again.

We have 3 kids: 7, 2 and 1.

We have a Town & Country for long trips.

I'm sure we could manage with a Mazda5, but would have to stop more to care for the "whining". I'd also have to attach the cargo box to the rear hitch and forget about taking any Pack'n'Play along on the trip (unless I added a box to the top).

A 1-seat stroller (umbrella fold) will fit behind the 3rd row. If you fold 1/2 down, you can get two 1-seaters in. A 2-seat stroller is a No-Go.

The Mazda5 is a great commuter car, but requires some extra effort for a trip with 3 kids.

We have the 5-speed manual version. I had to add a few items that didn't come with it, as manuals are hard to get.

I went from a turbo'd Saab wagon to this. So, I do miss the "on demand" highway passing ability. I think the 5 has enough pep for the highway. You just have to know how to use it, and what to expect. I have adjusted. I have pushed my 5 into turns with tires squeeling, and have no complaints.

I am VERY happy with my 5.

So here are my questions:
- links to crash safety tests were broken from the searches here, any working links? What's the crash safety (note that I'm coming from a subaru)
- MPG seems to average around 25-26 for most people... but a dealer is advertising 30MPG... is that total lie?
- reviews say the ~150hp engine is gutless at freeway speeds.... I often need to go from a 10 mph lane into the 70+mph carpool lane... am I gonna die?
- not much info on the 5 speed MANUAL. Does this help the power delivery?
- am I going to wish I had just got the bigger Odyssey?
- now that the Mazda5 has been out for a few years, have their been reliability issues?
- although family of 5 is workable, is it going to be regrettable?
- does it handle like a tall Mazda3?

I drive a 5, and I have 3 kids, and it works great for our needs. My kids are 8, almost 5 and 2, so I've got the two bigger kids in the third row on booster seats, and the baby is in a fixed car seat in the second row on the passenger side. I usually leave the driver's side 2nd row seat folded down, both for easier access to the back row, and for a place to stow groceries, bookbags, etc. I keep a Maclaren Techno classic single stroller behind the third row. I think the reason it works so well for us is that the two oldest kids are big enough to get into their own booster seats and buckle themselves. Before the middle one could consistently do that, I would reach in from the tailgate to buckle her (doable because I'm tall).

All of that said, most of our driving is short distances - 1 or 2 miles to drop the kids off at their various schools / daycares, and most of our longer trips are less than an hour. It works great when I occassionally take the three kids and one or more of my adult friends somewhere. Then we all fit in my car, and don't need to take two cars. When we've gone for a longer trip (to the beach this summer), my husband takes his car too, so we can get all of our stuff there. And now that our oldest can go without a booster, we can fit all three across the back seat of his car in a pinch (2001 VW Passat sedan). It's not comfy for long distances, but at least we can share afternoon pickup duties.

Back