Would you trade in yor Protege5 for this ?

Would you trade in yor Protege5 for this ?

• Sell the Protege5 & buy the EM2

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Keep the Protege5

Votes: 24 96.0%

• Total voters

UKDM_323f

:
UKDM 323F 2.0 Sport
I very much doubt its gonna happen since i put lot of money into the car recently & got some bits on order but saw this
http://www.hondaowners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=639

& this
http://www.hondaowners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=603

OK, the Protege5 is quicker BUT not that much quicker or even noticeably(well Euro spec ones anyway) plus this the only Civic i like, not keen on others apart from the new civic coupe which isnt even sold in UK or Europe!
In UK well have something called a road tax & the road tax for a 2.0 car is something stupid like $373 usd (190) & it may even go up again nxt yr to 393+ usd (200) but the 1.7 Civic EM2 Coupe is a 1.7 just slightly slower than a Protege5 not that its noticeable but car tax for cars in UK for engines under 1.8 is cheaper so the 1.7 car tax i be paying less than i would for a 2.0!

I gathered the Civic EM2 Coupe is more common in America since its made here but very rare in Europe!

So would you choose the EM2 over the Protege5 or even trade in your Protege5 for a Civic EM2 Coupe? How you rate the Civic EM2?

Last edited:
I absolutely wouldn't trade in a Protege of any kind for that. That civic has the most boring drive, boring interior, awfully cramped engine bay, etc.

I would much rather trade my Protege5 for a Protege DX (no power windows, no power locks, no tach, etc.. but still a protege) than ever get a Civic from that generation. Plus I think they look really cheap (visually)

Unless the tax difference in one that will affect your cost of living in a drastic way, I would say just keep the P5. Head-to-head against a Civic coupe, and I would much rather have the Protege.

UKDM_323f said:
I very much doubt its gonna happen since i put lot of money into the car recently & got some bits on order but saw this
http://www.hondaowners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=639

& this
http://www.hondaowners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=603

OK, the Protege5 is quicker BUT not that much quicker or even noticeably(well Euro spec ones anyway) plus this the only Civic i like, not keen on others apart from the new civic coupe which isnt even sold in UK or Europe!
In UK well have something called a road tax & the road tax for a 2.0 car is something stupid like $373 usd (190) & it may even go up again nxt yr to 393+ usd (200) but the 1.7 Civic EM2 Coupe is a 1.7 just slightly slower than a Protege5 not that its noticeable but car tax for cars in UK for engines under 1.8 is cheaper so the 1.7 car tax i be paying less than i would for a 2.0!

I gathered the Civic EM2 Coupe is more common in America since its made here but very rare in Europe!

So would you choose the EM2 over the Protege5 or even trade in your Protege5 for a Civic EM2 Coupe? How you rate the Civic EM2?

I'm not fond of civics my self, but i would probably only own a EG hatch civic, and that's only cause it's the lighest civic body ever made. I still wouldn't sell my P5 for a civic eather. besidses, that particular engine is crapy. here's the stats on it

D17A1 1.7 16VSOHC PGM-FI 1668 115hp@6100rpm 110tq@4500rpm 01-02 Civic DX/LX
D17A2 1.7 16VSOHC VTECII PGM-FI 1668 127hp@6300rpm 114tq@4800rpm 01-02 Civic EX

in the end, if you buy a civic, don't get one with that engine, or at least try to get a swap. you want atleast a b series engine. preferably a b16b or a b18c1. but to do that you have to swap the engine bro, cause those are fromthe civic type-r and integra gs-r.

one last word of advice, stick with you P5. you'll love yourself more (second)

If you wanna do a motor swap get the Honda...if you want to have a faster car to start with...rock the Mazda.

1killercls said:
If you wanna do a motor swap get the Honda...if you want to have a faster car to start with...rock the Mazda.

True that...But then again P5 has more room.

Thanks guys seems you lot like your P5's not that i dont of course!
Am i right i thinking you dont need to buy car tax in America ?
I not really keen on Civic's aprt from the older ones EG EK, ones after that i dont like so i wont even look twice or even consider one apart from the EM2 & the new Civic Coupe which we dont get in Europe or even in Japan i dont think??

Got a point i say !doesnt really apart from the money saved can buy me quite a few round of beers & some for mates too !! lol(drunk) lol, come to think of it i probably lose out since i recently spent some dollars on the car & still got few things arriving shortly for it ! maybe i should keep the P5 do some more work to it & sell it in 1 & 1/2 years time for something faster which was / is my original intention anyway !

Scott said:
Unless the tax difference in one that will affect your cost of living in a drastic way, I would say just keep the P5. Head-to-head against a Civic coupe, and I would much rather have the Protege.

Yeah in the U.S. we don't have any car taxes that are based on engine size.. and even if we did, it would only penalize you for engines like.. over 5.0 litres or so haha. A 2.0 is a tiny little engine here, as much as I love mine.

I know my town in Connecticut has car taxes but they are just based on the value of the car. I pay about $1000 USD a year for that.

jersey_emt said:
There is a 'gas guzzler' tax in the US for cars/trucks with pitiful gas mileage.

Yeah but it's gotta be really, ridiculously bad to get that tax. I think any car with city gas mileage under 25mpg should have a gas guzzler tax.. but that's just me.

No, the EM2 is the worst looking model I think in the civic design. If it was a EM1 si. Then yes.

EM2's are flaming piles of s***. I work for Honda and we have more problems with that gen of civic than any other honda ever made. Random stuff from transmissions going out to motor mounts snapping and tearing. We had one come in the other day with 53k miles on it and the cam locked up. Stay far far far far away from that vehicle.

Woa ! Really ??!! I generally though Honda's & japanese cars are very reliable wit not much going wrong, the only reason why i considered this is the car is in my area & if was to buy it (dont think i will now) i wont have to tune it up since all tuning work like body kit & intake, exhaust etc have been done to my liking plus i know whats been done to this car & they not cutted any corners like cheap parts! & fact that servicing & parts for Mazda are more expensive (well in UK) but nothing goes wrong with Mazda's though!
Probably would cost more owning this Honda though !
Thanks for feedback

TXMazdaSpeeder said:
EM2's are flaming piles of s***. I work for Honda and we have more problems with that gen of civic than any other honda ever made. Random stuff from transmissions going out to motor mounts snapping and tearing. We had one come in the other day with 53k miles on it and the cam locked up. Stay far far far far away from that vehicle.

Back