wiring

hyck

:
Mazda 3i
sorry for the dmb question, but I am not sure to what wire should I connect the wire from my Radar so that it is not hanging? It's on the top so I wanted to connect it somewhere by the map lights, but I don't know to which cable ... Thanks :)

Last edited:
I think most people just run the wire along the head liner, down the a-pilar, through the dash, and connect it to the cigarette lighter. If you connect it to the map light, you will have to remember to turn the detector off every time you get out of the car because the map light power is always on.

hyck said:
sorry for the dmb question, but I am not sure to what wire should I connect the wire from my Radar so that it is not hanging? It's on the top so I wanted to connect it somewhere by the map lights, but I don't know to which cable ... Thanks :)

I did my Valentine off of a 12V I found in the harness for the map light, but just like said above its not switched. I take mine down when not driving anyways so its not a big deal. I did hunt around with a multimeter and opened/closed the door several times to make sure I didn't tap one that would fade out with the lights when the door is shut.

I would tap it into the cig lighter. just buy an extra adapter from radio shack, tap it in and hide it behind the ashtray/airbag light.

behind radio the colors are as follow for 2005 models - test wires to check accuracy
12v constant - red to orange/black (changes colors)
ground - black/green
12v switch - yellow

use the swich power / make shure to fuse your connection behind radio.

i pulled my dash apart and ran the wire under my navigation screen from the sig lighter. the only part of the wire you can see if the 2" from the dash up to the radar detector. lemme see if i cant find a pic.....
Not the best pics, and dont mind the huge crack in my windshield in the first one.

Attachments

• Roadtrip 06 046.jpg
    Roadtrip 06 046.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 170
  • dash shot.jpg
    dash shot.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 178
My radar detector wires go across the headliner, down the pillar, and taps into one of the switched 12v wires found in the kick panel (I added a 1A fuse just in case). Ground just goes to one of the chassis grounding points nearby. It's hard to explain without pictures, but I made a bracket that slides between the headliner and the passenger visor clip (I hate suction cups) to physically hold the detector. It works well, but does not allow the passenger visor to fold all the way back towards the windshield - but it does allow it to come down.

Back