Wiring question for P5

k2kyo

Question.. I've got a new HU, sub, amp, and front speakers. I need to know how to run wires from the amp to the front speakers. How do I get them into the door and to the speaker? I would assume through the rubber cover that the regular wires run though.. but how??

Also, what kinda wire do I run from the amp to the sub? (edesign 12o.44 sub, axa 440.4 amp)

I have a 2003 P5 and this is the last thing I gotta figure out so I can install!!

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Kyle

well. . i ran my wires to the factory harness to make it easier on myself instead of running new ones directly to the speakers since im only running 50watts rms to my speakers

I did that as well, and I won't be the first to tell you that there is no difference in SQ in tapping in to the thin factory wires versus using what I used in a previous install (Monster Cable spkr. wire, like 12 or 14 gauge). It's easy and saves you the hassle of trying to run wires through the rubber boot which is next to impossible.

As for sub wires, 12-16 gauge will do you just fine.

If you have a Metra or Scosche wiring kit, the color scheme matches the factory wires. You can determine which is LF, LR, RF, RR (Left front, left rear, etc.). Usually they have the same colors or atleast my Alpine's wires matched the color scheme as well, but I would go by the diagram on the bag that the wire harness came in.

Since you have an aftermarket radio, Just connect the speaker output of the amps to the wire harness adapter. Since the amp powers them now they no longer need be connected to the head unit.

The doors have 2 part plastic molex connector that you will have to drill out a spot to run wire through. It took me about 4 hours to both front doors.

Where exactly do I drill a hole?

I havn't installed the HU yet.. it's all sitting in my livingroom..

Also, there are some things that came with my speakers.. they call them crossovers or whatever.. what exactly do they do.. and where do I put them? They sound like they are used for the tweeters.. I'm all confused.. which is annoying because I THOUGHT I had it all figured out heh.

Ah well, I'll get it eventually... maybe if I figure out what I'm doing I'll do a how-to on some of this..

Kyle

k2kyo said:
Where exactly do I drill a hole?
In the plastic molex plugs where there are no used pins.
I would not recommend this one for newbie to do.

k2kyo said:
I havn't installed the HU yet.. it's all sitting in my livingroom..

Also, there are some things that came with my speakers.. they call them crossovers or whatever.. what exactly do they do.. and where do I put them? They sound like they are used for the tweeters.. I'm all confused.. which is annoying because I THOUGHT I had it all figured out heh.

Ah well, I'll get it eventually... maybe if I figure out what I'm doing I'll do a how-to on some of this..

Kyle

Crossovers split the frequencies of the music and direct them to the speaker that can best handle them. They need to be used and have to be installed in the door.

then what would you recomend that I do?

I think I know what you're talking about now though.. I'm a quick learner.. maybe I'll figure it out.. but I really don't wanna do anything that could raelly screw me up..

Kyle

Screw up that molex clip and it either won't reconnect or you will loose many of the electronics in the door!
Grab the wires behind the radio or have a professional installer do it.

ok screw it.. how much you think it would cost me to have the whole system professionally installed?

Is there any other way to do it? I just want the amp to power the speakers instead of the HU so that I have more control... is this the only way?

Here is what I'm trying to do..

I have a new alpine HU, CDT front speakers, an Avionixx 440.4 (4 channel) amp, and an edesign 12" sub..

I'm trying to run the sub off of the rear channels of the amp, then run the front speakers off of the front 2 channels.. and leave the back speakers wired to the HU.

I didn't think it would be this difficult.

Kyle

Besides builging the box I could do it in 5 hours.

Front components - $100+$15 for adapters
Amp - $65
Headunit - $45+30 for kits

If you are going to do this then search in this area alot. I have help numerous people though basicly the same install a few times now. Just about any peice of info you may need is here.

I would recommend doing one task per day. One day replace the front speakers. Another add the deck, then the amp on another if the deck takes to long.

Installing the amplifier out puts to the speaker wires behind the radio is incredibly easy. DO not let that scare you off.

Ok if I'm getting this correctly.. I'm gonna wire the speaker outputs from the amp, into the stock harness? So I figure out what wires are the speaker wires, and splice the new wires into them?

Sounds simple enough.. but just to make perfectly sure.. I'm basically trying to get the amp between the HU and the speakers?

Oh, and also.. if I'm using the stock speaker connections to the new speakers.. how do I make them fit? They are connected to a plastic holder thing that just plugs into the stock speakers.. I'm assuming I can take that off.. but then how do I tell negative and positive? (they arn't labled as far as I can tell)

Thanks,
Kyle

yea man the connections are label on those plastic connectors. . or at least they were labeled by polarity on teh stock speakers themselves

DOn't cut the factory harness. Use the wires fromt he harness adapter.

listen to first dont cut a thing you just make life harder...SO much harder. Buy a harness and a pocket kit, then get a wiring kit for the amp. Run your rca and power on seperate sides. Dont be afraid to stop and ask for help.if your going to use a amp buy rcas from the head unit to that amp. then match colors and your sitting pretty.

OK, here's what you need:

Scosche Radio install mounting kit:
http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SCOMA1537B&vq_id=none

Scosche Factory wiring harness adapter
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...c=11&g=103000&I=120707903&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

The Crutchfield factory harness adapter allows you to connect to the existing factory harness in your car so you can utilize the existing power and speaker connections for your aftermarket deck without cutting anything. You will be connecting the adapter that came with your new deck to the Crutchfield factory adapter with "butt connectors" and then plug the Crutchfield adapter into the factory harness. It takes more to write it than to do it.

Since you will be using an external amp to power your door speakers, you will need to run two pairs (4) of speaker cable from your amp to the dash where the deck is. Instead of connecting the pairs of white, grey, green, and purple wires from the scosche adapter to the aftermarket deck's adapter, you will connect them to the two pairs of speaker wire you ran to the deck. While behind there, you will also need to connect the RCA cables and remote turn-on wire (blue wire in the Crutchfield adapter) and run those back to your amp (preferably on the opposite side of the car that you ran the power cable from the battery to your amp.

It is a fairly involved process for someone who's never done it, but it's nothing you shouldn't try. If you don't want to do it yourself, ask the shop you do have do it, if you can sit quietly in the corner and watch. That's how I first learned about it. Also, understand that the install bay does get pretty hectic at times and having someone back there does bother many installers.

Good luck

Last edited:
I cut the factory harness and soldered them in the car. My install is pretty permanent (holes cut in doors) so I won't be reusing them probably. as for running the wires, tehres a how to on it stickied

Latest posts

Back