wires and plugs, who rates best?

_jp

:
which one?
ordering new stuff tomorrow. have read posts on magnecor, taylor, bosch, ngk, etc. open to opinions on what stuff lasts and is worth the prices.

also, ordering new plugs. looking at ngk ir, denso ir and a platinum plug from ngk. are they worth it? want something that will last but gives performance and will keep me rockin 33+ mpg.

is there a combo of these people are running and if so would you do it again. is there something that ive not seen?

open to all opinions, ordering stuff by noon tomorrow (dallas time) so i can get it by sat or monday. thx.

jp

IMO, any non-stock wires or plugs are a complete waste of money if you are looking for better performance of any kind.
Others may disagree...

whaa? ok so anything that's not oem is a waste of money? huh. ok you have "NGK long-reach plugs" listed in your sig. lol. just giving ya s****, but really im going with what i can find locally this weekend. people i was calling said anything from taylor, magnecor, msd etc would take a week. oh well. thx.

jp

_jp said:
whaa? ok so anything that's not oem is a waste of money? huh. ok you have "NGK long-reach plugs" listed in your sig. lol. just giving ya s****, but really im going with what i can find locally this weekend. people i was calling said anything from taylor, magnecor, msd etc would take a week. oh well. thx.

jp

Well, the long-reach plugs are J-spec. They're still just copper NGKs and maybe cost an extra buck. Ya got me...
But what I am really saying is, spending 40 or 50 bucks on plugs, for example, is not going to benefit you at all from a performance aspect, at least not if you're otherwise stock. Same with wires, unless you want them as an engine dress-up.
There are better things to spend your money on.

I say, that OEM plug wires are the best. All those theorems about aftermarket plug wires being better than stock is all bull s***. This been discussed so many times. Man you should look into SEARCH feature before posting something thats been discussed million times already. Just a hint for the future.

Anyhow, I used Magnecor plug wires and my car drove like s*** with them. Rough idle.....at idle rpm needle bounces between 900 and 750, where the normal operation of rpm at idle is 750. I put the stock wires back in and everything works like a charm.

Also there is no such a thing as "plugs or plug wires increasing performance of the car, hp for instance". Thats just overrated butt dynoes of those who dont know what they are talking about. So if you are also looking for a performance increase, you can forget about plugs and plug wires in that field.

I just pulled out cheap copper Autolite plugs (at 69K miles) after about 11,000 miles of use and they were almost like new. I put in NGk V-powers ($1.68 each) last weekend. Still runs great with original coil packs, although I'll probably change those at the 90K service along with hoses, belts, timing belt, etc.

I get a little detonation at 87 so with gas now at $2.42 I've moved up to 89 octane and that helps more than plugs. I would say get plug wires and fancy plugs only for dress up, and to impress the unknowledgeable people that you spent $30 on spark plugs. Go with OEM and spend the rest at Dairy Queen, IMHO.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. since ive been on boards for over 10 years Dis the first thing i did was search. there's a search nazi on every board. that seems to be your patented reply for lots of threads as ive seen that all over this board. anyway. with my background in desert racing (4.0 stroked to 4.2 or 4.7l) large caps, rotors, large comp ratios, etc there are a couple of choices for wire size and brands of plugs to get performance and durability. i run a 4.2l motor in a daily driver to get any resemblance of fuel economy i have to run 8.5mm wires and higher end plugs to get good det, etc. i think your mistaking my low post count for being a fukkin idiot or noob. im niether, just new to owning something imported. hell of a lot of difference between the 2.0s and the 4.0 fi, 4.2 carb'd, 318s, 5.8s or anything else that ive ran in the last decade of this. what i was looking for was info from na and others on what they are running. on a 02 prot there's no reason unless there is a gain in fuel economy, performance, etc for me to spend 75$ on wires and 50-80$ on plugs. once again, all i was asking was "are they worth it". to everyone else thanks for the relevant posts.

jp

_jp said:
thanks for the replies. since ive been on boards for over 10 years Dis the first thing i did was search. there's a search nazi on every board. that seems to be your patented reply for lots of threads as ive seen that all over this board. anyway. with my background in desert racing (4.0 stroked to 4.2 or 4.7l) large caps, rotors, large comp ratios, etc there are a couple of choices for wire size and brands of plugs to get performance and durability. i run a 4.2l motor in a daily driver to get any resemblance of fuel economy i have to run 8.5mm wires and higher end plugs to get good det, etc. i think your mistaking my low post count for being a fukkin idiot or noob. im niether, just new to owning something imported. hell of a lot of difference between the 2.0s and the 4.0 fi, 4.2 carb'd, 318s, 5.8s or anything else that ive ran in the last decade of this. what i was looking for was info from na and others on what they are running. on a 02 prot there's no reason unless there is a gain in fuel economy, performance, etc for me to spend 75$ on wires and 50-80$ on plugs. once again, all i was asking was "are they worth it". to everyone else thanks for the relevant posts.

jp

Look, there's enough drama in this forum already...with all due respect to your knowledge (and no, not meant to be sarcastic), someone's gotta be a search Nazi.
Honestly, if you've been on forums for as long as you say you have, then you must know that a lot of people ask the same questions over and over again and it can be tiresome to post a reply on a subject that has been covered numerous times.
So chill and don't take the search suggestion so personally.

Sometimes the answer really is 'save your money'. I believe that to be the case here.

If you insist on buying 'em anyway - please report back the performance gains. I didn't have any.

Please discount the old plugs if really crappy - sometimes *any* new plugs could not help but be an improvement over some serioulsy crudded up ones... ;).

jp, im not trying to bust your balls. Didnt try to intend to offend you in any way. Search button was just a suggestion for the future. No need to get angry. And yea as Protephile said, there are numerous threads about improvements of plugs and wires and what people think of different ones. There are probably at least 10-15 threads on this topic.

Stock plugs (NGK V-power) and wires...I'm not too happy with the results from my Iridiums..I'm not surprised about it either.

Damn so 60 bucks or so for the sparkco wires and it was just dress up? :(

I wasn't expecting to notice anything performance-wise (trust me, with all the performance mods my car has I know it was all just a waste of time) I just though it was higher quality materials than stock so why not.

NGK V Power are good, I ran them on my Dub and run them in my Camry. But they are after market upgrades for those cars. From what I understand those and NGK Iridium offer good detonation in the protege. I currently run AUTOLITE Part # APP3924 GAP .044 {PLUGS Double Platinum} to test detonation of a mid ranged price and quality plug. So far the low rpm detonation is a bit irratic. I will try NGK Part # 5464 {.044 gap} {Iridium IX Plug #BKR5EIX11} next as a small upgrade from the autolite. They are just below the NGK Part # 2647 {.044 gap} {Premium Platinum Plug #PFR5G11} and the NGK Part # 7994 {.044 gap} {Premium Iridium Plug #IFR5E11}

www.Rockauto.com has several plugs to chose from and I received my last ones two days after ordering them, with standard shipping.

(glare)

Back