Winter Wheel Problem

Crock

:
Totaled
I currently have a set of wheels with winter tires that I've used for the last two years. Last winter I found out that the wheels I've been using were made for a RWD car. This makes the wheels sit further out than normal and I scrape in the back when going over bumps with people in the back seat. The tires are fine with a little rubbed off the sidewall but I can't use these wheels anymore. :(

Does anyone know where I can get a fairly cheap set of 15-inch wheels to use in the winter. I'd prefer not to use steelies but I will keep that as a last resort.

I'd rather not pay too much because I still have to get the tires taken off these wheels and then mounted and balanced on the new ones.

RWD=Rear Wheel Drive.

Most rwd cars use either a neutral or negative offset, while fwd cars use a positive offset.

Thank you. I do know what RWD means. I just didn't know about the different offset.

Damaga said:
Thank you. I do know what RWD means. I just didn't know about the different offset.

Neither did I when I tore these wheels off an old RX-7 at a junk yard. It took me 1 and a half winters of annoying rubbing to figure it out.

I'm probably going to end up with steelies but it kills me because they look so fugly.

Steelies look bad, but I tried getting cheap hubcaps for them, and my car ended looking ghetto! To me, steelies look like you know what you're doing during winter!

On Tirerack.com, they don't have any 15 inch wheels available for the MSP. If I look at 15 inch wheels that fit the P5, they should fit on my MSP right? I can get some decent ones for less than 70 bucks.

I have 15 inch steel wheels and they clear the brakes. As I remember, shortly after I got my snow tires and wheel, they started changing the recommended winter tire setups for the MSP. Best thing to do is to call them, they're pretty helpful over the phone.

Damaga said:
I have 15 inch steel wheels and they clear the brakes. As I remember, shortly after I got my snow tires and wheel, they started changing the recommended winter tire setups for the MSP. Best thing to do is to call them, they're pretty helpful over the phone.

You're right. I called them originally when I got the tires for the wheels I have. I'll call them up and see what they have to say.

What is the offset on the RX7 wheels?

Have you looked at getting 15" mazda millenia wheels?

goldwing2000 said:
Does an MSP have bigger brakes than a P5? They might not fit.

Good point...this is my first winter with my speed (she was in the garage last year) so i called up mazda to know what size rim and tire i should put on the car (cause i found some sweet deals on 15's) and i was told that due to the MSP's bigger brake calipers that 15's wouldn't fit, 16's are the ideal. But i'm sceptical....i really don't trust mazda as i have been fed some BS from them in the past. So what do you guys put on 15's? or 16's?.

15"'s fit but you would want to try them first to make sure because it is a tight squeeze. I can not have the sticky wheel weights on the inside of the rim on my 15" alloys because they rub the caliper.

My 15" steelies seem to fit fine.

moxnix said:
What is the offset on the RX7 wheels?

Have you looked at getting 15" mazda millenia wheels?

I have no idea what the offset is, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to that stuff. Is it on the wheel somewhere?

Where would be a good place to look for these millenia wheels you speak of? That would be a better way to go than getting something brand new from tirerack.

Back