winter tires!

faridk89

:
02 p5, silver
just want an explanation of what these mean, im a complete noob when it comes to cares, especially rims and tires
215/50/R17 Pirelli Winter Snowsport tires

r17 is 17 inch rims but what does 215/50 mean? just looking for winter tires for my protege5 and dont really know what im looking for...so any explanations/tips would be awesome

215cm width, 50=50% of 215cm for sidewall height. advice tip, get skinnier tired for winter. spreads snow easier and digs in instead of riding on top of it

215cm width, 50=50% of 215cm for sidewall height. advice tip, get skinnier tired for winter. spreads snow easier and digs in instead of riding on top of it

i dont know if i want to dig in that much, i live in canada and thats how a lot of people get stuck around here, but would these fit the p5? on 17's?

My recommendation is stay away from 17's for snow tires. The stock size is 16 so why would you want to +1 size for winter use?

If I were you I'd look into 14" or 15" for winter use. Or you could use your stock 16" wheels for winter and get a 17" package for summer use.

And the skinnier the width (first number 215) the better for snow use. For example 14" would be 185 and 15" would be 195 ideally.

As another Canadian, I've been running on 195/60/15 on steelies for a few years. No problems changing lanes over the ice ruts. Plus the extra sidewall width helps with the bumps.

thanks for the help guys, i ended up with

Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
195/55 on 15's...good reviews so wish me luck on my numerous snowboarding trips!

Back