Winter Tire Question

Pinnacle, anything from Kal Tire is crazy expensive but their service is second to none. Nokians last long too, I heard you can get 5 or 6 winters out of them, and usually by the 6th winter it's because you shouldn't run tires that are more than 6 years old even if they have lots of tread left. They're a good investment if you didn't have to buy wheels at the same time like I do, but unfortunately we do so...

Here are a list of deals I got from local Mazda dealerships:

(All 205/55R16 mounted and balanced on 16" OE steel wheels)
$799+tax for Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 or General Altimax Arctics
$699+tax for Firestone Winterforce (very good in snow, ok on ice unstudded)
$799+tax for BF Goodrich Winter Slalom (very good in snow, sucky on ice)
$899+tax for Michelin X-Ice Xi2s (ok on snow, excellent on ice)
$1095+tax for Toyo Garit KX (good on snow, good on ice, H rated)

And there's one particular one I'm getting a local dealer to hook me up with, not an official package but 205/60R16 Toyo Observe G-02 Plus (very good on snow, very good on ice), for $1025 OTD.

But if you can spring out $1580 OTD, definitely go for the Hakkas, no other winter tire compares. If not, shop around at your local dealers and see what deals they have on tires.

I'm not too worried about the price...IF...they are the best as people are saying they are. If $500 more means I get that much more performance...then I will pay it.

They are worth it... BUT one thing to consider... I would assume that Calgary does a good job plowing/sanding their roads? If so, I would steer you towards the unstudded Hakka RSIs. Riding on studs is like riding in an airplane on bare pavement, though they provide ice and snow traction second to none.

I was quoted $918 OTD for Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s 195/60R16 with steel wheels which is one of the most popular and highly regarded winter tires, and they will last about 3 winter seasons. I think 3 to 4 winter seasons is about average for most winter tires, but the Hakkas do last about 5... depending on how much you drive and how much bare pavement you drive on. Remember that all winter tires lose their snow capability below 5/32" tread,

Last edited:
They are worth it... BUT one thing to consider... I would assume that Calgary does a good job plowing/sanding their roads? If so, I would steer you towards the unstudded Hakka RSIs. Riding on studs is like riding in an airplane on bare pavement, though they provide ice and snow traction second to none.

I was quoted $918 OTD for Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s 195/60R16 with steel wheels which is one of the most popular and highly regarded winter tires, and they will last about 3 winter seasons. I think 3 to 4 winter seasons is about average for most winter tires, but the Hakkas do last about 5... depending on how much you drive and how much bare pavement you drive on. Remember that all winter tires lose their snow capability below 5/32" tread,

Calgary is very hit and miss with snow. We can get dumped on and be -20C and then 4 hours later be +10C from a chinook. So it's the constant melting and freezing that gives us the driving grief.

Go for the Hakka 5s then, you won't be disappointed. :) I heard with the EcoStud system they aren't as bad noise wise as traditional studs.

LOL. I cannot get winter tires/wheels done at any shop unless I purchase the low pressure sensors too. "Legal liability". So add another $60 per sensor and $50 for calibration. Grand total OTD $1828CDN for Hakka5's, steel wheels, etc.

The GT Luxury's sesnors are a factory installed option (at least I believe they are). All vehicles 2008+ have to have them now. I was told, I have no choice if I want a tire shop or dealer to install winter tires/wheels.

Last edited:
FYI, I just ordered a set of alloys with winter tires for the 5 (no TPMS) for $619 shipped from Tirerack. They are on backorder until Nov 21, but I think I can wait for that price.

Specifics:
4 205/55R-16 Firestone Winterforce Firestone Winterforce Estimated 11/21/09 $77.00ea $308.00
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge) N/C N/C
4 16x7 Sport Edition D4 Silver Estimated 11/12/09 $59.00ea $236.00
4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C N/C
20 Required lugnut for vehicle In Stock N/C N/C

Some products above selected for the following vehicle(s):
Vehicle: 08 Mazda MAZDA5

Shipping: $75.39
Tax: $.00
Excise Tax: $.00
State Waste Tire Fund Fee: $.00
Order Total Including Shipping: $619.39
:D :D

I can't find anywhere that the 08 came with TPMS.

Anyway, apparently of you go to a dealer, they won't require you to install TPMS. Tire shops are pushing TPMS as being required.

It's an 09.

Oddly enough, I didn't need the TPMS after all. No clue. They said Mazda uses a different type of sensor to monitor TP. I was like...okay...whatever. (drinks)

PS Did I mention it has been above +10C since getting the Hakka 5's!? Haha.

205/55/16 and lugnuts

What pressure are you guys running with 205/55/16's? Just got my winters on steels but haven't mounted them yet. Dropped the pressure down to 34. Also read on another thread that the stock lugnuts will not work with the steelies? Can someone chime in on this so I can go ahead and get new lugs before swapping out to winters. Thanks!

What pressure are you guys running with 205/55/16's? Just got my winters on steels but haven't mounted them yet. Dropped the pressure down to 34. Also read on another thread that the stock lugnuts will not work with the steelies? Can someone chime in on this so I can go ahead and get new lugs before swapping out to winters. Thanks!

It'll work no problems, even wheel locks.

It'll work no problems, even wheel locks.

Depends on the winter wheels.

Didn't work with Walmart steelies. Factory lugs too shallow for how much lug is exposed.

Bought open lugs, now wheels work fine.

I decided to suck it and buy at the dealer two years ago. I forgot how much I had to pay then but just want to be sure that the wheel fits.

This is the third winter for my Yokohama IceGuards IG10 (or 20 cant remember) and they look new and handle better than any studded tires I've used. Living in Utah and Idaho I'm sure they've saved my bacon many times.

I can't find anywhere that the 08 came with TPMS.

Anyway, apparently of you go to a dealer, they won't require you to install TPMS. Tire shops are pushing TPMS as being required.
what happens if you run wheels w/o the TPMS? do you just get the dash light?

Back