Winter Tire Question

Pinnacle

I have heard that the Mazda 5's stock tires suck for winter driving.

Our local Mazda dealer is offering Continental Viking 2, steel wheels, balanced and installed, etc. for $899 plus tax. Are the tires very decent? Good price?

you could do much better than that price at discount tire or tire rack.

I thought it was a decent price (in Canada) as the tires are over $200 each, plus the price of steel wheels, etc. Hmmm.

tire rack has a set up with tires and wheels for 620 + shipping. so maybe 720 total

Better off going to an independent shop in my opinion and pricing out some different options. If the viking 2 are anything like the old viking snowtech tires made by Conti save your money and buy a good Hankook i Pike or cheap winterforce made by Firestone or bridgestone if I recall.

Good Luck

Tire Rack charges $300 in shipping, $30 brokerage fee, 7% duties, and any GST/PST/HST to ship to Canada. Might as well shop local.

A local independent shop quoted $1057 OTD for Toyo Observe G-02 Plus on steel wheels.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports just published their updated tire review - includes winter tires.

I too would call around to some local independent tire shops and get some prices.
Make sure you ask for and get hub centric steel wheels, as they fit much better and are less prone to vibration.
Ive used Toyo G-02's on my civic and Gislaveds on my 5 and I've liked both of them.
FWIW, Tire rack usually has lots of customer reviews and ratings for each tire on their website.

A local dealer is offering Gislaved Nord*Frost 5s in 205/55R16 with OEM steelies for $799 ($895 OTD), a deal I'm likely going to jump on.

I just got Nexen Winterguard 215/55-16's, mounted and balanced on steelies, for 700 Canadian OTD from the local Sprawlmart. Can't say what the tire will be like, but on the Island, I will wait for a snowfall before jacking up the 5 and slapping them on.

It snowed and road slippery, and I'm still on the toyo proxy. I wondered why I was not sliding around. Then I realized I have this 'scan gauge' clone and had changed my driving habit (gentle on the gas). Obsession with lowering the liters/100km reading, is beneficial afterall.

Tomorrow, in goes the steelies with hankook winter Ipike. the tire's fourth winter.

Last edited:
So what do people recommend for winter tires ie) brand, etc? What size of steel wheels would I need for the GT?

Any Calgary folks who could also point me in the right direction for a tire shop too.

Thanks guys!!!

I have 205/55R16 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s with 16X6.5 alloy wheels.

I like them very very much. Much better performance in wet weather than the OEMs, never mind the snow.

Last edited:
Why did you go with 215s?

I wanted to reduce the revs slightly at highway speeds, fill the wheelwells with more tire (appearance only), and soften the ride a touch during winter season (sidewalls are a little taller). Also, I was swayed by the positive comments in the wheel and tire section of this forum. I also considered going with a 205/60-16 but there were none in stock nor on sale.

Last edited:
Not ideal to go wider but hey some winter tires is better than no winter tires.

Someone was selling Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01s for a really good price, but they were 225/50R17 and in the end I wasn't comfortable going 20mm wider, but 10mm should be ok.

Hey guys.

So I've done some digging and the NOKIAN Hakkapeliitta 5 keeps coming up as the favorite from mechanics and tire folks. They are crazy expensive though. With a set of steel wheels (16x6,5), the tires (205/55/16), labour, taxes, etc. the final cost is $1580CDN.

The Blizzak's seem to have a bad rap for wearing out very quick.

So confused. The NOKIAN's are $500+ more than others...worth it? (confused)

I have used blizzaks in the past, and loved the grip. The winter "cells" did wear out quickly, but the remaining all season tread lasted about 60000km, so I probably got 80 000km in total. 205/65-15 and about $140 can. a tire installed.

Back