Winter rims for 2002 Protege5

gassett

I want to be absolutely sure before I buy a set of steel winter rims that they will fit a 2002 Protege5. I used a 1998 Mazda Protege as the base car at www.tires.com and found some steel rims for $28 each (free shipping) They are size 14x5 and have a bolt pattern of 5x114.5 Will these 14" steel rims fit on the 2002 Protege5 without any problems? If they do fit then I will get some 185/65R-14 snow tires at a local dealer.

I currently have 626 14" rims with 185/65/14 and it works just fine. The rims are about 4 years old so probably the same. As long as they are 5x114.5(or is it 114.3?) it should be ok.

gassett said:
Sorry, I used a 1998 Mazda 626 as the base car!

I was just looking at a fitment chart I have and noticed '88-'92 626's have a 59.6 mm hub ring. The '93-'02 626 shows as 67.1 mm which matches the Protege 5. You may want to verify the hub ring diameter of the wheels you order before doing so.

Yello_Pro5,

There is no problem with 14" wheels clearing the brake calipers? Thats what I was worried about.

Thanks.

hey guys...i was just wondering...why do you guys use used steel rim for winter tires? and where did you guys find those rim??
i mean if you buying a new set of winter tires..why not just buy a new rims too?? so you don't have to look for tires to match the rim and the rim to match you car...beside steel rim are cheap
just little opinion...no offence
just curious why buy used steel rim
correct me if i'm wrong
:)

steel rims are cheap, and who gives a flying **** if they get scuffed or nasty. Thats the point, leave the good looking ones on in the summer, and when nasty old winter roles around use steelies cause they get the job done at a cheap cost.

JunkPunch said:
Yello_Pro5,

There is no problem with 14" wheels clearing the brake calipers? Thats what I was worried about.

Thanks.

They clear just fine!

hey guys...i was just wondering...why do you guys use used steel rim for winter tires

I got used ones because they cost me 60$ CAN for all 4 instead or 44.99$ each new... And since steel rims are ugly brand new I don't care to have uglier used ones...

and where did you guys find those rim??

Classified for me...

Back