wings west evo style CF HOOD

poboxjosh

Contributor
:
Franchising Opportunities
What are you guys with the hood doing about the vents in the hood. Is this a problem when it rains?

I've had no problems at all. And mine got driven in some torential downpours. Also I am running a short Ram. btw you know the Wings West hood is no longer available. To my understanding VIS bought out Wings West and since they make their own Evo hood they won't be continuing the WW version. Problem is alot of dealers still havent' updated their websites. Course you might be lucky and find one who still has one in stock.

Ooops just noticed you already have one....be careful with it (killed mine in an accident.).

poboxjosh said:
What are you guys with the hood doing about the vents in the hood. Is this a problem when it rains?

mine is already on my car i bought it off the forum. I was just wondering about how bad the vents would be. I get more looks with that hood than i ever did before.

which vents are u askin about? i have the VIS evo style cf hood.Mine came with teh rain guard for the big vents as for teh lil side vents one is closed and the other is open but i dont think itll be bad.As far as geting looks hell yeah my car gets alota looks with it off and with it on holyshit people are rubber neckin all the time.LOL even funnier my buddy owns a 04 evo and he drove it with teh hood and and told me its kinda like drivin an evo with out the hp lol

Reffoxel said:
I've had no problems at all. And mine got driven in some torential downpours. Also I am running a short Ram. btw you know the Wings West hood is no longer available. To my understanding VIS bought out Wings West and since they make their own Evo hood they won't be continuing the WW version. Problem is alot of dealers still havent' updated their websites. Course you might be lucky and find one who still has one in stock.

Ooops just noticed you already have one....be careful with it (killed mine in an accident.).
Vis didn't buy WW, they merged because WW was going out of business. To my knowledge WW will still be makeing their product as before. Plus the WW evo hood for us is on hold, not completly x'ed, at least thats what they say.

I got my WW evo hood in the very first batch of them that they made so like....2.5 years ago?

Mine came with 2 plexi inserts that go on the underside of the hood to keep water out but I only really used them for the first few months. They are kind of a pain to put in and take out so I left them out and just tried to not drive in the rain, but that gradually gave way to me rationalizing driving in the rain (see below) which then gave way to me not caring too much.

I have been posting this same tale for the most part when anyone asks about rain in their engine with a vis ww FI or any evo hood for the past year or two. Not only did I get rain in it a lot, but last summer I even drove it pretty hard for like 45 minutes to meet up with some ppl. Was looking for a DIY carwash nearby so i could clean it up before we met, couldnt find one but did see an automatic, touchless car wash. I tried to think to myself real quick why it was I had been avoiding these and I came to the conclusion it was because I didnt want them damaging my wheels at all and because the last time I used one there was grease or something on one of the spinning sprayers and it put a thin line of grease down the side of my car.....didnt think of the whole hood thing. So at any rate I went cruisin through the touchless car wash and my blazing hot engine got pounded by the high pressure sprayer on the ceiling that was shooting straight down into my vents. Knock on wood of course but I didnt even have any problems after that. So I think its safe to say a little rain is ok.

Heres what i meant by "see below":
I will concede with no data or facts to back this up that it cant be good to get your engine all wet when its blazing hot. But to comfort yourself about driving in the rain think of this. First of all if you are moving then that bump in front of the vents pushes the air up so the wind forms a little shield over the vents, similar to how a roof spoiler on the back of a tahoe creates a little shield of wind while driving that keeps the back clean by preventing road grime and dirt from coming up and hitting the back doors/windows. So if you are traveling at any decent rate of speed, no water is getting in there. Now what if you arent moving. Well even if you arent moving its only rain, its not a bucket being poured onto your hood its small drops randomly falling from the sky so you have a few things going for you here. The surface area of the vents isnt that big in the scheme of things so the amount of rain drops that fall within that area is pretty limited while its raining. I mean a lot will fall, but its 1 drop at a time tink tink tink... Now subtract from that limited surface area the drops have to fall into the mesh that covers the openings. Look at it, and you will see, it covers quite a large % of it due to the design. And any water that hits those when your engine is hot (those get blazing hot) will evaporate in no time. And if some drops DO happen to make it through and hit your head shield then they evaporate instantly too due to the intense heat in the engine bay.

so basically...i tihnk you're all set

Back