windshield disaster

06_m-5_hehe said:
did it hit the dashboard or anything inside the car besides the people?? because if it hit the dash I could imagine some MAJOR scratches, I 100% garuntee that someone threw it, that just does'nt magically bounce out of a truck and fly through your windshield, and it looks like it hit at an angle, oh and if someone ran that over thier tire would be GONe and thier rim would be too, so yeah someone deff. threw it I hate to tell you. So what happened when it hit? was it loud? did u swerve or pull over? I can assume everyone was screaming, I woulda S*IT myself. lol

good luck with getting it fixed, and after make sure to vacum out the car real good, even though the glass is tempered it can still make minor cuts, and if you opend your windows it may fly around and hit people.

Yeah it cracked my center console next to my arm rest then flew way to the back and scratched my rear panel and chiped my rear tint. I think any inches more towards the passenger side and it would have hit my wife. It was very loud, at first we thought someone had shot us. And there was even smoke. Luckily i was able to stay calm and pulled over to the side without losing control. My question is.... I know widshields aren't bulletproof, but can it be penetrated easily by a rock considering the size of the rock that hit me????

I don't think windshields are designed to withstand that type of force. I'm guessing that the rock probably hit the windshield with the 'skinny' side, if it would have hit on the fat or flat side it probably wouldn't have penetrated. It would have smashed the glass, but it probably would not have entered the vehicle.
But since it presumably hit on the skinny side the rock acted like a knife and cut through the glass & laminant stuff. With the rock hitting on the thin side it hit with more pressure.

*It's been a few years since I took a science or a physics class, so I can't really explain it very well.
I know what I want to say, I just don't know how to explain it (if that makes any sense).

Oh, the 'smoke' you saw was probably tiny powdered bits of glass and dirt/dust from the rock.

Last edited:
mabye you should ask for double laminated glass then they do the windshield.. it cuts down on wind noise, and if another rock that size magillay hits your car, the winshield won't puncture, and if it did hit your wife...well lets just say we would all be praying..(no offense) but once again I'm very glad that everyone was safe, and good job of you to keep the car under control :clap clap clap:, I also think that no matter how the rock hit it would have punctured, just make sure to ask them if they will do a double lamination for you, or just put some VERY light tint on the front windshield, and that will cut down on the puncture effect, ONCE again VERY good luck, and I'm SO glad that your family was safe, but I do wish that the car would have grabbed ahold of the wheel by itself and rammed the life outta the bastard who threw that at your car....

06_m-5_hehe said:
...or just put some VERY light tint on the front windshield...
Tint completely covering the windshield is illegal in the entire United States (regarless of how light the tint). But I have seen 100% transparent/clear tint for the safety/shatter resistance. Even that may be illegal, but if you can find somebody to put it on for you, I doubt the cops will hassle you because they wouldn't know it's there.

yea, i heard that too but if a cop pulls you over for it, you can just tell him its for safety reasons and if your kids have carseats (?) the cop will see them and probably let you go if its VERY light.

On the rare instance an officer notices the tint and gives you a citation, bring the rock, photos of your windshield, and your replacement reciept to court.

I would almost guarantee it would get dismissed.

Matt

MD5 said:
On the rare instance an officer notices the tint and gives you a citation, bring the rock, photos of your windshield, and your replacement reciept to court.

I would almost guarantee it would get dismissed.

Matt

Instead of "tint" I should have said "the 100% clear film".

Matt

Good God man you are lucky!!

I hope you have reported this to the police. I know there is no chance of catching this person but at least it will be on record and if it happens again then it establishes this person as a repeat offender.

I commend you on your driving too - if something like that hit my window - I'm not sure I could keep the wheels on the pavement. I'm so glad to hear everyone is ok - this could have been horrible.

geezerz99 said:
Here is the rock that could've dramatically altered life for me... scaled next to a regular cd. it's pretty huge for some innocent car to drive over it and have it go airborn and hit smack on my windshield. It had to be thrown from somewhere. There was no overpass where it happened. Although, there is a regular road next to the freeway where it happened. My suspicion is it had to be thrown from there by the the angle the rock penetrated.

Just wondering, did you call the cops by any chance?

canadianexpress said:
Just wondering, did you call the cops by any chance?
I reported everything.... I called 911 on the spot where it happened. Can you believe the highway patrol, the cops, the ambulance (wife got glass in her eye), got there 45 minutes after i called for help. Isn't that something. If any of us got hit and were bleeding we would have bled to death. But if you're speeding on the freeway, CHP's everywhere. That's why i'm convinced that if ever something happened like that and you require immediate medical attention i think you'll get it quicker if you drive yourself there rather than waiting.

geezerz99 said:
I reported everything.... I called 911 on the spot where it happened. Can you believe the highway patrol, the cops, the ambulance (wife got glass in her eye), got there 45 minutes after i called for help. Isn't that something. If any of us got hit and were bleeding we would have bled to death. But if you're speeding on the freeway, CHP's everywhere. That's why i'm convinced that if ever something happened like that and you require immediate medical attention i think you'll get it quicker if you drive yourself there rather than waiting.

Thanks for the info, 45 minutes is definitely too long of a wait.

canadianexpress said:
As a parent and a husband, I am really glad to hear no one was hurt. There was a case near the Toronto area that someone threw something from a bridge overpass at a vehicle on the highway. The woman was not so lucky and got hit in the face. She had to get reconstruction surgery and I am don't think they caught that idiot who threw the object.

Well there was a bus driver killed over here last year or the year before from a rock over the bridge

Back