Windshield Cowl Drain Clogged

Was that the correct link? I saw how to remove the panel behind the passenger side sill, and how to clean out leaves; but not how to unclog the drain tube. Would it be ok to carefully use a coat hanger?

Was that the correct link? I saw how to remove the panel behind the passenger side sill, and how to clean out leaves; but not how to unclog the drain tube. Would it be ok to carefully use a coat hanger?
No, not like the drain tubes used for the moonroof, there’s no such thing to drain water in the cowl area on the CX-5. Just open channels.

On my previous 2001.5 VW Passat the battery is sitting there, and there’s a rubber valve under the battery tray to drain the water in the cowl area. That requires periodical cleaning or the drain valve will get clogged and the accumulated water will overflow into the cabin!

There is no drain tube. That channel where all of the leaves collect provides the drain path for the cowl. Try pouring water into the hole on the passenger side of the windshield cowl and watch where the water exits. I did use a coat hanger and there were a lot of leaves in there.

Back