windows xp problem

joefufu

I have windows xp professional. Everytime I try to play a computer game, either my computer restarts by itself, or it kicks me back to the window screen. Does anyone know what the problem is?

make sure you dont have the worm virus. Im not sure that it would do that but its a good idea to scan for it anyways.

I scan all my hard drive with norton yesterday, and it saids it remove the worms successfully. But I still couldn't play the game without problems

Sounds like your possibly your video card settings make sure you read the literature that comes with the games. Some games require you to reduce your setting or increase your setting to start them. If that is not the problem then just uninstall the game and reinstall. Always restart the computer after install before playing the game. This will allow changes made to your sytem to be made prior to playing the game. Hope that helps. I don't it is a virus if you are talking to us. You might run your anti-virus anysways and make sure your dvirus definitions are up to date.

Dave

Have you gone to Windows Update and download any of the service packs or critical updates? If you haven't, the worm comes back VERY easily even after being removed by antivirus software.

Ack I downloaded all my new updates and then my computer wouldnt turn on. It would start to turn on and then the monitor would stay black after I logged on. :cofused: I hit F8 for the settings and had it restart at an earlier workable setting. I dont know what happend. :(

Well... I do know that some of the updates don't work exactly nicely on my computer, but I've never heard of any that keeps your computer from starting. Did you download and install service pack 1 or 1a, or did you just download certain updates?

joefufu said:
I have windows xp professional. Everytime I try to play a computer game, either my computer restarts by itself, or it kicks me back to the window screen. Does anyone know what the problem is?

if it's still restarting you still are getting the virus, your computer grabs it when it goes online, go and download the windows updates.

If you are familiar with your computer manager and the services you can go to RPC and change restart your computer to restart the service, and you won't be booted offline anymore, but you'll still need to download the update, then the worm remover.

go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/virus/alerts/msblaster.asp

My bro was updating. I complained to my friend that works on the comps here at work that mine was running really really slow considering that is supposed to be a fast system. And he said to do all the updates. My bro said it started to mess up after he downloaded one about imaging. I thought the montior crapped out on us (and was mildly happy because that means flat screen) but we still arent sure what happend. Its still slow but I think thats because of my bros downloading habit.

I definitely know the problem.......you're using Windows :)

....you knew that one was coming!

Make the move to Linux.......

. . . . . New Computer --- $899

. . . . . Windows XP Home Edition --- $199

. . . . . Getting the the "blue screen of death" while typing the last line of a 2 page resume --- "PRICELESS"

2 years......no crashes......one OS....Mandrake Linux....spread the word!

Back