wind noise

rvmz6

Hello all, I have had my M6 GT for about 3 weeks now and has about 1600 mi, love the ride and mileage.
One thing that annoys me in a minor way is the wind noise from around the windows I hear at highway speeds - 50+ mph. Its constant - I can hear by the driver side front window and passenger side back window.

A quick google search came up with this:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/04/2014-mazda6-second-take.html
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/2014-mazda-mazda6-review
both the reviews mention wind noise.

Anybody else experiencing this ?

Yeah, it's basically from the side mirrors I think. The worst is when you open only the rear window and not the front ones. It'll drive you insane.

Have you looked into some additional sound deadening in the A pillars? Or possibly if some of the windows are mis-aligned?

I've been experiencing the wind noise a lot on highways. Especially when the music volume is low. Not sure if I am annoyed as yet, since I knew and read about this problem before buying the car thinking my highway driving will be low. The only thing I am worried about is insulation in winters and summers, is there a breach somwhere in the car that's leaking the sounds?

Not sure if anyone else who thinks in the same way.

I feel its due to a design flaw or more likely, poorly installed seals. I plan to take my car into the dealer to have this and a another problem looked at later this month.

jeffcarp03: I wondered about the same, but I am going to see if the dealer can address the root cause first..

I think it's a design flaw in the positioning/shape of the mirrors or the design of the door weatherstrips. Lots off people are having issues with the rear door weatherstrip rubber coming off at the mounting points. The weatherstrip design as a whole is far from robust. It really detracts from the satisfaction of the car. Mazbe Mazda would best serve its customers by ccorrecting known major issues like wind noise, before they go fiddling with the inteior and a new front fascia. Hopefully the one defecit a redesign might address is the navigation system. It will be interesting to see if they continue their affiliation with TomTom and the SD card setup. The couple '14 Mazda 3's I've seen were non-nav Touring's, so not sure what they've gone with there. But whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it will mirror what's on the new nav equipped 3's.

Maybe a dealer can make some headway with the problem, but replacing intact weatherstrips won't change the problem if the root cause lies there, not unless Mazda redesigns them and makes them available as a TSB to those who complain, and that will not be everyone. Blindly making adjustments like moves to the door strikers will likely mess up more than it will fix.

Yes, the wind noise is annoying at the driver side window. I drive a lot of freeway miles and little things like this detract from the car. I have also had issues with the rear mounting points for the rubber seals on the back doors. These kind of minor things have me disappointed in a otherwise great car.

Yeah, it's basically from the side mirrors I think. The worst is when you open only the rear window and not the front ones. It'll drive you insane.

+1
in literally 10 seconds already, just impossible to have only those open (unless you put them both on only a small gap)

Came here to also say it's the mirrors. The fusion does this also. I think most cars with similar side view mirror designs will do this.

Back