Wind noise during high crosswinds, doors actually pull open slightly. Problem?

Took the 08 GT on a road trip with high cross winds one day. When the crosswind would blow hard enough for me to feel it driving, the driver and/or passenger door, at the very top, rear would pull away enough to become very noisy for a few moments. Is this typical or is an adjustment needed? (P.S. didn't find a sub-forum called "Body" so I posted here.)

SOLUTION at end of thread.

Last edited:
could be worn hinges, could be weatherstripping that is not inserted 100% properly in one spot, could be car has been in a wreck before that you may not know about?

Thanks for the ideas. The car is clean title and we got it from Carmax so I trust them. The wind was really blowing so I suppose I am partially checking to see if anyone else has encountered this. FWIW, the doors close with very little effort. Perhaps they could be brought in a bit to hold a little tighter? Just exploring.

and we got it from Carmax so I trust them

i wouldn't be so sure about that. there have been many a complaint about carmax purchasing wrecks and then repairing them on the cheap.

No, I checked the VIN. I've bought enough used cars to spot repair work, especially paint, with my eyes closed. This is a perfect vehicle. Plus I bought the 7-year bumper to bumper warranty from them so if something is amiss, they are on the hook.

Carmax? I don't know about the cars they sell, but I will not sell them any of mine.

Tell you a story if you have time:
I had a hard time selling my BMW 540iA in SF bay area due to the facts that it was V8 and it had auto-shift (thanks to my wife).
I tried selling it for over a year on and off w/o success. It was really a high-maintenance vehicle.
BlueBook price was about $13K at the time. The BMW dealer I bought from would only offer $7K to take it from me.
No way! Then, I heard Camax was going to open a new store 40 miles away from me. I had high hope for it.
Their web page claimed to offer the most "reasonable" prices for used vehicles. So, I waited 3 months.
On the opening day, I drove 40 miles to get there. The people were nice. At the end, they offered me $5K!!!
I drove 40 miles back. I wasn't happy as you could imagine....

My brother-in-law's father had a E39 540i manual. What a fun car that was. Bro-in-law took me out a couple of times and slid the rear end out.

Well his dad got beat by a rice boy one day (so the story goes), so he sold it and got an E39 M5. Apparently that wasn't good enough so he sold that and got an E60 M5.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of the body styling of the E60.

They did a nice job going back to their roots on the F10. Wish I could afford one.

Their web page claimed to offer the most "reasonable" prices for used vehicles. So, I waited 3 months.
On the opening day, I drove 40 miles to get there. The people were nice. At the end, they offered me $5K!!!
I drove 40 miles back. I wasn't happy as you could imagine....

When I was shopping for CX-9's I saw one @ Carmax in Cincinnati, OH. It was the highest listed price within a multi-state area of any comparable CX-9.

I emailed them to ask if they would come down, and pointed out the fact that it was extremely over priced.

I received a really, really rude email in reply, they said "if you're not happy with the price, go somewhere else."

That is terrible. I, conversely, had a very pleasurable experience (well, as pleasurable as buying a car from a "dealer" can be). I continue to recommended Carmax to anyone shopping for a new car as an alternative.

My local CarMax offered me 1.5K less than what a dealership was offering for my 06 Rav4. The people there were nice and polite, but their appraisal calculation just s*cks.

My local CarMax offered me 1.5K less than what a dealership was offering for my 06 Rav4. The people there were nice and polite, but their appraisal calculation just s*cks.
Exactly like my experience. ($7K -> $5k!)
The guy did not even bother to see my BMW in the parking lot and gave me an offer?!

Just to follow up I found the problem.

Sometime previously the front passenger window sealing rubber became contorted and the window would not seal in the upper rear corner. After some futzing, I was able to put it back and got the window up in there to retrain it. Works as new now.

Back