Will oem ES struts handle lowering springs

2litrePRO

:
2001 Protege ES 2.0
Hey im new here just got my pro about a month ago and im eager to start modding it. I looked around and couldnt find the answer so i was wondering if the oem struts on my 2001 ES will handle a drop. Ive been looking at a set of tien lowering springs.

Thanks, Jamie

There's plenty of people running Teins with the stock struts...
but the struts life is shortened to 6 months - 1 year.

It would be easiest to buy a set of tokico blues (HP) and install them at the same time....
but if money is tied up you can always buy the blues next year when your stock struts give out.

zverg said:
I'll 2nd what Prodigy said. I rain on my stock struts after lowering in April 2005 until I was at 62k miles a few weeks ago.

Be warned about buying Teins though! I wouldn't go anywhere near eBay after reading this debacle

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123630585&highlight=tein

Wow, thats pretty sketchy. Hmm i would probably have to ask for pictures for things like the logo if i got them off ebay. So what are ppls opinions of the eibach pro kit? Does anybody have a pic of there car lowered on these? I can get a discount on them through work but my only complaint is they lower the rear more then the front and the front is already a bit higher, thats why i was leaning more towards the teins.

2litrePRO said:
Wow, thats pretty sketchy. Hmm i would probably have to ask for pictures for things like the logo if i got them off ebay. So what are ppls opinions of the eibach pro kit? Does anybody have a pic of there car lowered on these? I can get a discount on them through work but my only complaint is they lower the rear more then the front and the front is already a bit higher, thats why i was leaning more towards the teins.

I've heard that the Teins lower something a lot more than the other. I don't remember which though. Just so you know.

i ran ground control coil overs w/stock ES struts for a while. my struts are shot now (after a yr or so) but i have some jic a2's to throw on next week. the tokito blue's are alot better then stock es struts from what i have heard!
rob

i've been runnin Tein S springs on stock struts for a lil over a year, my rear ones are gone, but the front are still hangin on :)

can't wait for the illuminas

Well, Ive had Tein S-tech's for well over a year now....actually close to two years and my struts are still fine. I probably have another year in them and then gonna have to upgrade.

Im the kind of person that would get everythign on at the same time. so try to get new struts in with those springs.

zentrandi said:
Im the kind of person that would get everythign on at the same time. so try to get new struts in with those springs.
yea thats the best way to go about it. That way you wont have to hassle and remove the struts/springs 2-3 years later.

DiS said:
yea thats the best way to go about it. That way you wont have to hassle and remove the struts/springs 2-3 years later.

sexactly. Plus the more mods you do at the same time the more dramatic the change seems to be. Feels more gratifying rather than putting them on a little at a time, but who am I to say anything, I dont have the cash to do that yet.

Well thanks for the opinions guys I ordered the eibach's today from work I got too good of a deal to pass up! Should be here next week :)

2litrePRO said:
Well thanks for the opinions guys I ordered the eibach's today from work I got too good of a deal to pass up! Should be here next week :)

sweet i'm thinkin about those or the tein h-techs. i don't want an aggressive drop so those were the choices i had besides coilover. i didn't do much research em. anyways welcome to the forum :)

The springs came in putting them on this weekend hopefully... My question is where can i get an alignment kit so i can adjust my camber and save my tires lol.

Also consider that the stock strut end-link tabs are notoriously weak, they won't handle a sway-bar upgrade at all, at least not very long I found out the hard way. The "blues" have godzilla sized tabs, I think the bar would twist in half first.

Back