Why the 2010 Mazda 3 over the 2009 Honda Civic?

Kuroshya

I just test drove a 2010 Mazda 3 (2.5L engine) and a LX Honda Civic.

Right now I am looking to buy the iTouring with the 2.0L engine because it is suppose to get great gas and the fact is I have a 300zx in my garage for when I want to go really fast.

Pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying the car is, how is the Reliability? I am looking for a car that will last 6-8 years problem free. Obviously you will need new tires, brakes, oil, etc... but how else is the reliability?

My family drives mostly Hondas, and they will last 7-10 years without any major issues. The only reason we dump them is because after 10 years we want something new.

With modern car designs, I would not expect any difference in reliability between the Mazda and Honda. You should easily get 7 to 10 years out of a new Hyundai if taken care of properly.

I like to keep my hauling stuff and going really fast separate. Plus if I am going to drop 25k+ on a car, I would just go get the 370z and I rather have my fast car be RWD.

I guess that is a good argument for reliability. Even the American made cars are starting to become more reliable...

I have to 2.0L I Touring model. I have had only one problem since July 2007 and that was a fuel problem, the dealer replaced the part and nothing since. Just changed the oil, bought a better set of tires and have run the hell out it. 86,000 later its still running great.

+1

With modern car designs, I would not expect any difference in reliability between the Mazda and Honda. You should easily get 7 to 10 years out of a new Hyundai if taken care of properly.

Yeah "better reliability" is getting to be more of a marketing driven differentiator for Honda and Toyota. The fact is that Mazda builds cars that are just as reliable as the "reliable" brands. In fact an argument could be made that Toyota and Honda have actually built less reliable cars over the past few years. Toyota's recall rate has been high and Honda's transmissions have been failing on their Civics and Odyssey's.

Modern manufacturing and quality control have made reliability much more common.

I think Mazdas are a great car. I plan to buy the 2010 in 2 months. I already have a 2007 M3 GT.

My suggestion, if you are going to buy a Mazda, I would get the top of the line. For about $2,000 more you can get the M3 GT. Mazda does a great job at giving you features like no other car company can do without charging you an arm and a leg.

What I like most about mazdas is that they are a "J" car, meaning 100% built and assembled in Japan. You can always tell by the vin #. I was taught this 15 years ago. A "J" car is built better and has higher labor law standards than most other countries. I know this for a fact, with much research and I have talked to many people who work in car factories around the world.

I own a Mazda, Nissan, Honda and Toyota. All are great cars. One recall on the Honda, 5 on the toyota and none on the Nissan and none on the Mazda, However, the mazda broke down on me several times and needed a tow. This was a brand new car too.

Other than that I am still a faithful mazda owner.

Yes it would seem Toyota is getting lots of recalls and their Corolla is just way to boring. It makes me sad to hear the Honda Civic is having transmission recalls.

I did notice that only the Nissans and Mazdas are still made in Japan. I think that just made the Mazda become my top car.

I looked into the Mazda GT, but for that much money I cam going to toss in a few more grand and get the 370z. Pretty much I do not want to go over 18k and I want the 35mpg.

I am glad yo hear you all have good reliability and that you all love mazda. This is helping my decision making.

Which Mazda broke down several times?

I think Mazdas are a great car. I plan to buy the 2010 in 2 months. I already have a 2007 M3 GT.

My suggestion, if you are going to buy a Mazda, I would get the top of the line. For about $2,000 more you can get the M3 GT. Mazda does a great job at giving you features like no other car company can do without charging you an arm and a leg.

What I like most about mazdas is that they are a "J" car, meaning 100% built and assembled in Japan. You can always tell by the vin #. I was taught this 15 years ago. A "J" car is built better and has higher labor law standards than most other countries. I know this for a fact, with much research and I have talked to many people who work in car factories around the world.

I own a Mazda, Nissan, Honda and Toyota. All are great cars. One recall on the Honda, 5 on the toyota and none on the Nissan and none on the Mazda, However, the mazda broke down on me several times and needed a tow. This was a brand new car too.

Other than that I am still a faithful mazda owner.

I'm curious. :)

If I am getting a Nissan it will be the 350z or the 370z, which I believe is still made in Japan.

60% Japan and 40% Mexico for the Nissan family including the (350Z, 370Z). Plus most of the parts are made in Canada, Mexico and USA. I would not buy a Nissan at all knowing this. This is merely my opinion.

Mazda=100% parts and labor. That I can live with.

Regardless of where the Mazda is made. The dealer has missed my past two appointments to talk numbers. On top of that another sales man laughed at me when I asked if they had an ITouring manual in stock; he told me "You have a better chance of finding a chicken with teeth".

60% Japan and 40% Mexico for the Nissan family including the (350Z, 370Z). Plus most of the parts are made in Canada, Mexico and USA. I would not buy a Nissan at all knowing this. This is merely my opinion.

Mazda=100% parts and labor. That I can live with.

You wouldn't buy a nissan because the parts are sourced from japan/us/mexico?

That is ridiculous

Ford is building some of the bbest cars on the market now, GM in a few cars is building fantastic vehicles.

It has nothing to do with where parts are sourced and everything to do with quality standards and mfg standars in place at various manufactureres and facilities.

simply basing it on the fact that parts are sourced in a particular country is a sure fire way to get yourself a bad product.

Having said that my wife's 2006 mazda3i just hit 60k this weekend, we're fixing to take it on a 3500 mile road trip, its been rock solid reliable, no problems. Far better tahn my POS 626 was. And I am now seriously considering a mazdaspeed3 as a result.

Make sure you drive cars extensively, pay attention to what each manufacturer is doing as opposed to where parts are sourced.

I buy USA when possible and when it fits my interest...

And by the way my 2002 maxima has been superbly reliable, I've gotta replace the gas cap but that is the ONLY non wear and tear part I've had issues with...

Toyota is having major reliability and durability issues compared with their historic norm most of this on cars built IN japan.

Honda overall builds the best car on the market, great sport/drivability combination. but I' have major sporting pretentions, and mazda seems to offer the best drivers car for the money when it comes to 4 doors and NOT shelling out the money for a BMW.

Pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying the car is, how is the Reliability? I am looking for a car that will last 6-8 years problem free. Obviously you will need new tires, brakes, oil, etc... but how else is the reliability?
From my experience, Mazdas are absolute s***.
I have a 99 Volvo that has been in the shop less than my 3 and it is 10 years old with its second transmission. My Mazda is 11 months old.

Get the Honda. You said you don't want to go fast and just get good mileage so get a nice Civic or whatever Honda makes that does good on mileage...so any Honda. lol It doesn't look as good but it won't fall apart in 4 months like my Mazda did.
My .02

How many Mazdas are you basing your experience on?

I have a 99 Volvo that has been in the shop less than my 3 and it is 10 years old with its second transmission. My Mazda is 11 months old.

Get the Honda. You said you don't want to go fast and just get good mileage so get a nice Civic or whatever Honda makes that does good on mileage...so any Honda. lol It doesn't look as good but it won't fall apart in 4 months like my Mazda did.
My .02

What type of repairs?
It's a bit unfair to condemn a product on one experience. That goes for all manufacturers.

I'd say steer clear of Honda based on the four myself and family members have owned. They had more problems than any of the Mazdas I've owned. On the other hand my family owned many Toyotas and they all were rock solid. They were just too boring.

having owned many mazdas and hondas myself, both were equally reliable, and currently owning an RX8 which people say is the bane of existance, i havnt had any issues. but my only peave with honda is thier seats. the rx8 is stiff but my old civic (03 civic ex) had boards for padding.

if your concerned about milage, im assuming you are going to have alot of seat time in the car, go with the mazda, that and the fact that its a tad bit spunkier than the civic in the turns. ive test driven both the new civic and the 3 and still think honda seats are not comfortable. then again, i have 6% body fat so i dont have much natural cushion.

good luck and happy buying

My .02

No offense to you but I've spent time reading your posts and maybe you should consider you treat vehicles? I also am wondering if you're either a) trolling because you can or b) pissed because you may have a bad dealer or two in your area?

All car companies have bad dealers regardless of MFG.

Instead of just posting how big a POS your car is which makes you seem like a troll why not post what happened, when, what mazdas response was and why you do not like them with some facts and detail?

Anyone can get online and badmouth a product, in addition the overall problems with the mazda3 and the mazdaspeed3 are somewhat different especially considering the completely different drivetrains in the two vehicles. So because you've had issues with your speed (but failed to provide details for the new poster) doesn't mean you'll have problems with the 3i or 3S. Acting as if they're the same vehicle is ridiculous, they're not...

Having said all that I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but if you're really trying to help folks please post details, problems, results etc most folks wont do the searches I do and wont search for your prior posts.

What type of repairs?
It's a bit unfair to condemn a product on one experience. That goes for all manufacturers.

I'd say steer clear of Honda based on the four myself and family members have owned. They had more problems than any of the Mazdas I've owned. On the other hand my family owned many Toyotas and they all were rock solid. They were just too boring.
Not just one experience, many experiences. I've been to the dealer at least 24 times by now visited the district manager once and called mazda direct 3 times. Mazda actually voided the warranty on half the car because "I complain too much" which just means they won't fix my problems and I have had no dealer ever actually try and fix something with or without a test drive beforehand. It's just been a terrible experience all together and I can't understand why I'm like the only person on the entire forum that has dealer problems AND car problems out the ass. (ugh)
Many of the people here are tired of my bitching but it's true. This car has posed the worst reliability and service out of any car I have ever dealt with. I mean it's been in the dealer for at least 40 days in teh first 10 months I've owned it (only 11 months ownership) and it was bought brand new as an 08.5.
I loved the thing, I want the thing, it's a great little car...but it's just a piece of crap.
No offense to you but I've spent time reading your posts and maybe you should consider you treat vehicles? I also am wondering if you're either a) trolling because you can or b) pissed because you may have a bad dealer or two in your area?

All car companies have bad dealers regardless of MFG.

Instead of just posting how big a POS your car is which makes you seem like a troll why not post what happened, when, what mazdas response was and why you do not like them with some facts and detail?

Anyone can get online and badmouth a product, in addition the overall problems with the mazda3 and the mazdaspeed3 are somewhat different especially considering the completely different drivetrains in the two vehicles. So because you've had issues with your speed (but failed to provide details for the new poster) doesn't mean you'll have problems with the 3i or 3S. Acting as if they're the same vehicle is ridiculous, they're not...

Having said all that I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but if you're really trying to help folks please post details, problems, results etc most folks wont do the searches I do and wont search for your prior posts.
I treat every car I drive wonderfully, never floor it, always on the speed limit, never idle for too long, always try to minimize shifting and maximize gas mileage. I would say my driving is nicer on the car than 99% of the people that drive around in my quaint little city.
It's definitely option B but it's more like every dealer I've been to is just terrible. First dealer busted a bunch of parts and killed my battery, second dealer never fixed anything but TSB's, third dealer got half the car's warranty voided. So far it's a 3 for 3 strike out.

I've got a bunch of details around here but I know nobody ever searches and re-typing it over and over again is a PITA. Besides that, it takes about 3 posts to include all my service records and resolutions with experiences and good detail.

I own a very slightly modded (see sig) Mazda3 S Grand Touring. Basically all the cars are the same, same body, same parts, it's just the quality of materials and engine that varies from car to car. So a 3i sedan and a 3S sedan could fall apart at the same rate. I'm not saying they will but from my experience the 3S wagon and the 3S sedan have an equivalent amount of problems but all the problems are different by most means.

Thank you, basically if you name a part I can say I have ahd some sort of issue with it. My last visit to Mazda (where they voided my warranty) it was in for 16 different issues. 4 of which were involving the brakes alone, 3 on the engine, and most of the rest were rattles or fit and finish issues that should have been fixed long ago.

There was a point where the dealer fixed my car but that was my first visit and it was for a few petty things like the headlight having a scratch on its glass lens (bi-xenons), the third brake light not working, and one other thing. But then again they ended up leaving my bumper on the floor, killing my battery, bending the hood prop, busting my battery box, and leaving greasy hand prints all over the front end that ate away the clear coat so now it's less shiny in some spots but the dealer said they couldn't see what I could...I don't blame them, that'd be expensive to re-paint not to mention how pissed I was and would be since the car was only 1 month old.

Last edited:
Back