Why not the P5?

Mike

I'm glad to see that Mazda are finally giving us a little more choice in models. But why choose the standard Protege saloon?

They have the much sexier Protege5 which desperately needs a little oomph, and which would have been the better choice to aim MazdaSpeed at.

Mazda needs something to compete with the Mitsubishi Eclipse or the Toyota MR2. The P5 is the obvious choice given it's stylish design. The P5 is a tiger with the heart of a pussycat. OK, it's not that bad, but it needs more power to take on the Eclipse, MR2 etc. At least a V6.

The new Mazda 6 is still a standard saloon shape. The P5 is different and should be where Mazda looks to improve their image!

no hard feelings but..........

Mazda needs something to compete with the Mitsubishi Eclipse or the Toyota MR2. The P5 is the obvious choice

lol....

first of all, when I think of the eclipse, i certainly DO NOT think of the MR2 as being a competitor at all! these are entirely different classes.............eclipse = celica = rsx = tiburon i do believe...... MR2 = S2k = Miata.........and to say that when trying to compete in the two door sport coupe market, which has somehow just been lumped together with the sporty roadster market..........mazda should choose its four door WAGON........my friend.....you're insane

I dont think mazda has any plans of competing with the eclipse as the RX-8 will be a higher end sports coupe and fall into a category with 350zs and mustangs and all that jazz. I believe to compete with the MR2 and other sport roadsters a mazdaspeed miata is a mildly more appropriate choice than a p5. the MSP competes with the sport compact sedan market......jettas, sentras, civics and all that jazz.

okay well, id have to say

1) not everyone wants a wagon. i for one dont.

2) protege is mazda herritage. you know what im saying? p5 is fairly new. mazdaspeed = herritage.

3) the p5 looks "sexier" than the sedan because it comes standard with the front fascia and s***. you can make a sedan look sexier (ie. MP3 sedan)

edit: and you say the Protege5 badly needs some "oomph". well so does the protege sedan. its an issue of senority in my eyes, protege/323 has been around forever!
sorry.

Last edited:
Dexter said:
okay well, id have to say

1) not everyone wants a wagon. i for one dont.

2) protege is mazda herritage. you know what im saying? p5 is fairly new. mazdaspeed = herritage.

3) the p5 looks "sexier" than the sedan because it comes standard with the front fascia and s***. you can make a sedan look sexier (ie. MP3 sedan)

edit: and you say the Protege5 badly needs some "oomph". well so does the protege sedan. its an issue of senority in my eyes, protege/323 has been around forever!
sorry.

I believe the reason Mazda corporate would give, Roger Foo notwithstanding, is that the sedan is a much tighter, more rigid platform to build around than the hatchback/sport wagon. A rear strut tower brace might fix that to a certain degree, but would also make the protege5 a bit less utilitarian.

Back