Why is check engine light on?

rhino1616

Hi
My protege has 90100KM on it & the check engine has turned on, (at 82,000KM I did a tune up = pvc valve, spark plugs, air filter, cleaned injectors, oil & filter change, trans fluid & trans filter change). I've checked the oil & trans fluid & they seem OK, can anyone else suggest what else they think it could be, that would trigger the check engine light?

Thank you

best bet is to go to a place like autozone and have them read the code. once u get the code, u can figure out what may be the problem. i'm thinking EGR valve cause its the most common problem here haha. but ya didnt give enough info to figure it out like rough idle, stalling, etc.

Tell us the codes and we'll can push you in the right direction...It's basically impossible to tell anything from a CEL alone..

I think that light means you should "Check" the engine...

If it's not flashing it's OK to drive...If it starts to flash...don't drive it..

most likely cause is an EVAP leak, or and O2 code, but until you know which code it is your shooting in the dark.

i recently had my CEL come on... turned out to be a misfire... dont remember the code tho... i hadnt done a tune-up in a while so they wanted to change my spark plugs and coils... also they told me that mazda just extended their warrenty on the EGR valve. unlimited mileage/7 years. i was suprised to hear that.

Again, need the code. Could be as simple as the gas cap left off.

If you like, you can disco the battery neg terminal and stomp the brake pedal 20 times and re-connect. This will reset the ECU. Then you can see if it comes back...

misfire codes are p030(then the number of the cylinder)

p0301 <cylinder 1
p0302 <cylinder 2

so on and so forth

mine always reads P0455....evaporative system in my book but what's the problem exactly? that's a mystery.

i recently had my CEL come on... turned out to be a misfire... dont remember the code tho... i hadnt done a tune-up in a while so they wanted to change my spark plugs and coils... also they told me that mazda just extended their warrenty on the EGR valve. unlimited mileage/7 years. i was suprised to hear that.

Is that extended EGR warranty to the vehicle itself or only to the original owner?

Without having the code read these guys can keep guessing but we'll still have absolutely no idea why it's on. Anyone want to start a pool?

Without having the code read these guys can keep guessing but we'll still have absolutely no idea why it's on. Anyone want to start a pool?

Yes.

90K miles and a tune up. Didn't say the car was running different just that the CEL was on. I say temp above threshold bank 2, secondary 02 sensor is reading that the cat is not working and he will need to replace the cat or buy a header.

If he had stated that it blinked and the car shuttered I would say spark plugs/ignition coils. He didn't say that though.

sorry for the late reply, yes 90KM tune up & the car seems to be runninug fine... no idleing problems, stalling..etc.
and no the light is not blinking. its a constant yellow

Back