Why does my car idle like this after I fill up?

So after I fill my tank up and start the car this is what it does, the idle drops and rises it does this until I start driving then it smoothed itself out. Would anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks Chris

[video]http://s120.photobucket.com/user/bigpics_01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/3FFCB9CD-89CF-4E0D-BD06-DD65B60E8864.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
Does the car erratically idle like that only after you fill up? One of the usual culprits when it comes to erratic idle issues with this car is either EGR or IAC valve. Have you cleaned those in the past?

Also, might want to rotate the video to the left to make it easier to view.

Does the car erratically idle like that only after you fill up? One of the usual culprits when it comes to erratic idle issues with this car is either EGR or IAC valve. Have you cleaned those in the past?

Also, might want to rotate the video to the left to make it easier to view.

It only does this after I fill up. I have cleaned my egr valve before buts it's been a while, I've never cleaned iac valve. My car has over 200,000 miles on it and I have even heard of the iac valve or would know where to locate it lol.. What's a good website to upload videos from so that I can rotate that video and maybe just post the video without the link? Thanks for your help.. I was having an issue with the idle before but while the car was running and when I can to stops. I cleaned the egr and it fixed the issue, this is weird because it only does it after I fill the tank.

As far as the video...it's not a big deal. I thought I would mention it in order to make viewing a bit easier for others. For pictures, you can edit them in photobucket by using the rotate button. Not sure if it's available for videos?

There are a lot of threads on here for cleaning the IACV. Taking off the phillips screws is what seems like the toughest. Be prepared to bugger them up and maybe replacing them (with a torx bit screws instead). To get a good cleaning, you'll have to remove the throttle body (new gasket #FP87-13-655), and I would recommend getting a new IACV gasket (Part #FSD7-13-W89) because the existing one might be hard to salvage and properly fit back on.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...e=UTF-8#q=protege5+iac+site:www.mazdas247.com

Last edited:
As far as the video...it's not a big deal. I thought I would mention it in order to make viewing a bit easier on others. For picstures, you can edit them in photobucket by using the rotate button. Not sure if it's available for videos?

There are a lot of threads on here for cleaning the IACV. Taking off the phillips screws is what seems like the toughest. Be prepared to bugger them up and maybe replacing them (with a torx bit screws instead). To get a good cleaning you'll have to remove the throttle body (new gasket #FP87-13-655), and I would recommend getting a new IACV gasket (Part #FSD7-13-W89) because the existing one might be hard to salvage and properly fit back on.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...e=UTF-8#q=protege5+iac+site:www.mazdas247.com

I will definitely have to look in to that thank you.

Back