Who's Running M3 Springs on Their M5?

B16RacerN2NR

:
2006 Mazda 5
I know there are a few people running Mazda 3 Lowering Spring on their Mazda 5. I'm not looking for a big drop. No more than an inch. That being said, the springs I am considering right now are the racing beat springs and the mazdaspeed 3 springs. So is anyone having problems using the 3 springs on their 5? From my understanding the MazdaSpeed 3 springs will lower the mazda 3 and mazda 5 about 3/4th's of an inch, correct? The main reason I don't want to drop the car too much is because I don't want to buy a camber kit.

Any springs you guys would suggest that lower the car no more than 1 inch?

I'm a Honda guy, so Mazda is another world to me lol...

I've been running H&R M3 springs on my M5 for about 20mths now. At the time that I wanted to lower the car these were the only springs available. The drop is nice, bu you will need rear camber adjustment plates.....and they aren't cheap.
Anthony

I've been running H&R M3 springs on my M5 for about 20mths now. At the time that I wanted to lower the car these were the only springs available. The drop is nice, bu you will need rear camber adjustment plates.....and they aren't cheap.
Anthony
So with a drop as low as what the H&R kit gave you, you had no problem with camber in the front?

So with a drop as low as what the H&R kit gave you, you had no problem with camber in the front?

No, the front camber was adjusted with the alignment, the rear needed the camber adjustment plates in order to reduce the -ve camber and bring the wheels back into spec.
Anthony

No, the front camber was adjusted with the alignment, the rear needed the camber adjustment plates in order to reduce the -ve camber and bring the wheels back into spec.
Anthony
Oh ok... Can you show me some pics of your car? And if possible can you show me a shot of the camber plates installed? Thanks :D

Oh ok... Can you show me some pics of your car? And if possible can you show me a shot of the camber plates installed? Thanks :D

I'm attending a conference this week and don't have any pics with me but there are pics of the car on this forum. .....I don't have any of the camber plates since they're under the car and it's too cold now for me to get them. They're red MazdaSpeed camber adjustment plates for the Mazda3 that were used on the Mazda5. My dealership installed them...a bit pricey but they got the job done.
Anthony

I'll let you know, I just got a set of mazdaspeed3 springs, gonna get the camber kit in case, but still gotta wait til I can find new shocks...I wanted to slam the hell out of my 5, but gotta share with the wife...so..going OEM....anyways, when I get it all put together, I'll post pics and my take on the ride....I'm still trying to figure things out, as my last few cars were hondas and vw....

Actually probably gonna be getting the Ksport coilover suspension...might have a set of mazdaspeed3 springs for sale...if I do. I'll post it in the for sale section....

hey, I heard some negative comments on the ksport coilovers...are they really that bad? What would be a good setup if I didn't want to slam the 5?

What would be a good setup if I didn't want to slam the 5?

I went JDM Mazda5 Mazdaspeed springs with USDM Mazda3 (JDM Mazda5) Mazdaspeed dampers. It's perfect for me. It gave me the performance and the real world drivability that I was seeking.

I went JDM Mazda5 Mazdaspeed springs with USDM Mazda3 (JDM Mazda5) Mazdaspeed dampers. It's perfect for me. It gave me the performance and the real world drivability that I was seeking.

HotRodSaint,

How much of a drop from stock is that set up?

And when you say "real world drivability" do you mean the wifey can drive it with the kids in the back without yelling at me about an uncomfortable ride every day when I get home?

How much of a drop from stock is that set up?

And when you say "real world drivability" do you mean the wifey can drive it with the kids in the back without yelling at me about an uncomfortable ride every day when I get home?

About .75. I really didn't measure the before and after though.

It's firm, without being harsh. And I don't have to worry about scraping driveways.

About .75. I really didn't measure the before and after though.

It's firm, without being harsh. And I don't have to worry about scraping driveways.

So with this set-up you didn't run into the camber issues that others have discussed in these forums when lowering? I'm about to buy my 5 and am already thinking about modest suspension upgrades (though I know NOTHING about suspension mechanics). Lowering isn't too important to me, infact the height you've got sounds perrrrfect. Most importantly I'd like a bit more lateral agility in the car (despite it's already good driving dynamics) but don't want to sacrifice TOO much ride quality as I have a 2-month old that needs to be able to sleep in her carseat.

I don't know about you buy my factory 5 can corner good enough to make a baby brain into mush as I thrash around corners. ;) Might even pop it's head off.

I don't know about you buy my factory 5 can corner good enough to make a baby brain into mush as I thrash around corners. ;) Might even pop it's head off.

A nice reassurance in a....morbid/disturbing...sort of illustration. Do you have kids???

Either way I can appreciate what you are trying to say.

BTW it's the casual driving that needs to be somewhat civilized. Enough for my baby to sleep just fine (she sleeps 'like a baby' currently in the Mazda3GT we're driving now). When it comes to harder driving...that will be when she's not in the car.

Last edited:
So with this set-up you didn't run into the camber issues that others have discussed in these forums when lowering?

The rear might be slightly off-camber, but I haven't given it much concern and the tires aren't showing any wear.

Back