Who's left?

viVid

:
02 Protege5
Spool - gone.
Begi - gone.
Wagner - gone.
MAM - suspended?
Hi-Boost - still kicking, but for how long?

Are there any other kits being offered out there for the P5 that are going to have some staying power?

viVid said:
Spool - gone.
Begi - gone.
Wagner - gone.
MAM - suspended?
Hi-Boost - still kicking, but for how long?

Are there any other kits being offered out there for the P5 that are going to have some staying power?
MAM is no longer suspended and is back (in my opinion never really left)

i had been offered the gearing and jigs for the BEGi turbo kit by Corky Bell a few weeks back but the costs in assuming production are simply too high to justify in what is pretty much a dwindling market.

Yeah, I don't expect any NEW kits for the P5... are there any other existing kits out there worth a crap (besides hi-boost and mam)?

Notorious_V.I.C said:
wanger or Spool

spool and begi were the first turbo kits to hit the scene for this car. the talk on this forum used to be much hyped "begi VS spool" which is better, lol. begi eventually turned over all marketing to Flyin Miata, who in turn formed "Flyin Protege" as a brand name to sell protege parts and turbo kits. the idea never really took off and arguably hiboost stole alot of that thunder. Flyin Protege was around for about a year until they decided to go back to strictly focusing on Miatas. terry (spool) ran into some financial woes and despite his best efforts to save the shop, it went under and was sold to a group of tuners who dropped the protege support as soon as the ink dried. the widely known "spool ITS mp3" is now owned by none other than turfburn.

wagner was never really a key player in my opinion, not on this forum. there was always talk of a wide variety of cams, exhaust components, engine parts, etc coming from them that never seemed to materialize or when they did were never backed up by any real claims. wagner had teamed up with perfworks (whom at that time was from MPI) to develop a full AEM standalone for the protege. the partnership ended with perfworks making off with many customers' money and reportedly being hauled off to jail on an unrelated charge. wagner was also participating on the WOMP supercharger project, with the results being fairly poor. very recently wagner had planned a full slate of product (mazda6 twin turbo kit, etc) and botched up a shorty header group buy before the company mysteriously shuttered its doors late last year.

the other turbo kit that came and went without so much as a flash was the Tripoint kit. the kit used an aerodyne turbocharger and was under perpetual redesign after aerodyne went bankrupt.

this community has seen its fair share of vendors come and go, with all the associated drama that accompanies it

True enough! Now that MAM is no longer suspended, will you be picking up thier product line again?

Captain KRM P5 said:
this community has seen its fair share of vendors come and go, with all the associated drama that accompanies it

viVid said:
True enough! Now that MAM is no longer suspended, will you be picking up thier product line again?

mental addiction will be making thier future production plans public very soon. right now i can't really comment on whatever direction they might be taking.

sandspeed said:
glad i got the begi fmic on the way before anything happens

bell intercoolers is a different branch than bell engineering. they have no intentions of not making the FMIC kit, just not the complete protege turbo kit.

its seems to me, for the most part, that hi-boost has their s*** together. they offer products for more than just the protege. i think they'll be around for a while.

Yup I think that HiBoost and MAM are both going to be sticking around in the Protege/3/6/5/whateverothernumberMazdadecidestouse markets for a while.

Back