Who's got the money?

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
I read post after post and see pic after pic and have to ask.....where is all this money coming from? I'm scratching my head about how to get some cash for tint, exhaust, and intake.........much less, turbo (i wish). How do yall do it? Is it parents giving cash away? Is it credit card debt out the roof? Is it old folks with the house paid off and a hole burning in the pocket? Who's got the money? Can I have some?

its a drug my CC is almost maxed out pretty crazy i know. if you love you run with it, if you dont you dont spend the sam amount of money

I prepay everything. I used to put everything on my credit card but it is rediculious how fast it all racks up. Next thing you know you are paying $100 a month in intrest alone. I want a turbo but not that bad.

well im in the Army and i pay for everything that i buy on my salary, though a lot of my initial mods came from money i made while deployed to iraq. however, lately i have been requesting and recieving a good bit of parts through sponsorship. as for my turbo, i got a loan for it.

wut I do, is I save x amount of dolars of each paycheck, put it in an envelope which I keep in a safe spot, then, after I have so much money, I look around and see what I can afford to buy...so far there is not much, as I am paying off bills, and still a little in debt from swticthing from the P5 to the speed, but yeah, I just save for a while, it works for me.

I work like a dog full time. Ask any of the NorCal folks who know me. They'll back me up. I have had to skip many a meet due to work.

I'm single so all my disposable income goes towards my car. I make certain sacrifices such as an eighth every three weeks, 30.00 every two weeks for food, and Keystone light. I live like this so my car doesn't have to and it gets all the mods it wants. Plus I do this thing called save money. If I don't have the money I don't buy it. The car has been modded since the day it was pruchased and that was three years ago. Also try buying parts used or whenever there is a group buy. I never would have bought the header if it weren't for the fact that I organized the group buy on it so I got it for 125.00 instead of 340.00

i'm old (30) and single. high tech job in silicon valley.
only got a p5 cause I own a house here too. now that's some big bucks.

I know folks who saved money by living at home for a while too.

I am 30+ yrs old, married, with a house payment, large student loan payment and car payment. Fortunately, my wife works and makes decent money and we run a pretty tight budget. I pay cash for everything... If I don't have the cash I SAVE FOR IT. Living off credit substanially reduces your effective income! I hope to have my P5 paid off by the end of the year (it is two years old), which will free up a bit more dough for a turbo!.

SenorCorwin said:
what did jet hot cost you?
220 shipped out coated and shipped back in a week and well worth it. No purpling or discoloration. Looks as silver as the day I got it back and they also bead blast it and remove all the MIG spatter

Working as much as I can without it interupting my time in college, 19 here and grinding it out getting any small job I can find on my free time + on top of the job I have already. Also pretty much buying things and saving money left over not blowing all my money on one thing and building up my cash flow again, and spending money wisely also. Sacraficing some stuff in order for the money too go into my car.

I work full time as a Computer Science Research Assistant and on weekends I work part time as a Snowboard Instructor at Whistler/Blackcomb.

I also live at home so my measly RA job's disposible income can go towards fun stuff like my car. My friends think I'm crazy.... I think I'm in love! :)

I work 2 jobs.. 65-70 hours a week... i put college on hold for a semister.. possibly 1 more. I wan't to go back, but I work too much.. and if i dont work enough.. i struggle to pay for college, and I don't really want to go back until I find my calling in life. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'm pretty sure I wanna change my major from web design and computer science to something in the automotive field

Last edited:
This is how I do it

My job doesn't pay well, but I get a lot of opportunity to work overtime. A little over 2k so far this year, but I haven't worked a lot of OT relative to previous years.

I use my cc but pay it off at the end of the month. We'll all except the last three months. (flame2) Luckily, I got a pretty big bonus this month and a large reimbursement as well. . . .that'll help pay off the cc from the last three months. I also perform mods, maintenance, and repairs on other people's cars for spare cash. On Saturday, I have two people stopping buy. I'm also doing extensive stuff on another car -- his bill is 2k so far. He'll be on a payment plan. The cool thing is he's real active in car shows and is part of a number of car clubs. A lot of people I've met through him were real excited about the work I've done and the low cost.

I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do the same thing. Spend a little on tools, do your mods/maintenance/repairs yourself and learn from it. After that you can help others with their woes. Since I don't have the overhead that garages have, I can usually get a job done for 1/3-1/2 the price of what's charged at a shop -- people like that. They get a good deal, you get paid. There are risks though. Keep in mind, sometimes things don't go according to plan and the top priority is taking care of your customer. I've come out behind on certain people's vehicles, but they've come back with more than enough $ to make up for my loss.

Now if you come back and say, I don't have a garage to work in b/c I live in an apartment where they don't allow you to work on cars. FIX IT. . . move. If you plan on being in the same area for the next 5 or so years, buy a house --> build equity.

My P5 isn't really modified. Just an intake. Although, I was considering a turbo kit. Most of my modding has been done to my other car, and recently, I've started on my truck. I've spent about 9k in mods last year, but I'll have a low 12/high 11 FWD daily driver when I'm done.

I most always buy used, eBay, or discounted from a reseller via GB or just knowing the business owner. Avoid buying parts while there's a lot of hype. A few months after the hype dies down, people start selling parts off like mad. In the past few weeks, there was a FM turbo kit for 1900 as well as a HiBoost w/ injectors for 3500. That's when you want to move.

Before doing that, create a list of mods that you want. That way you only buy something off that list, not just every good deal that comes buy.

Well I have a very heavily modified Protege. I am only 19 and I live at home so that helps. I have yet to go into any kind of debt with all the purchases. If I don't have the cash I don't buy it, simple as that. But I work for my money, usually put in around 30 hours a week, plus college. It really just comes down to discipline. I don't waste all my money on alcohol and drugs like most of my friends do. Although I am known to make a slight donation to the tittie bars. I am going boost in July so I have already started saving. Trying not to waste the cash on anything not needed. Now that doesn't mean I just sit at home all the time either.

Well, to answer my own question.....I don't use the cc and must pay cash for everything. Being married w/ house and working on baby......the car must be put on hold. I'm going to try to sell a bunch of stuff in order to get some $$ but we'll see what happens.

I use my spare cash that isn't assigned to rent, car payments, diapers, and food to buy the parts. I usually have to save up for a couple weeks or months. With this car, most of the mods were paid by parting out my mustang. Another way I've been able to get the parts is to participate in the group buys and to by used parts.

Back