Who (legal authority) do you report Fraud to? (Scam Miata)

Foolish

...of Awesometon
:
'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT
I'm trying to figure out how to get a scammer arrested. Anyone know?

I saw a very nice Miata on Craigslist Atlanta this week, at a price that's (literally, I think) too good to be true. The ad has since been flagged and removed.

I sent this email:
Is this car still available?

Is there any time tomorrow, Wednesday 6/5, that you'd be available for me to check it out? Where are you located?

Thanks,
Eric M
A couple of days later, I got this email, and knew it was too good to be true. The listing was already gone from CL.
Hello,

The car is in excellent condition and it has a clear title. If you are really interested I can send you more pictures. The car's selling price is $ 2900. Even if the price seems too low i can guarantee that the Mazda doesn't have any hidden defects.
Here is a short list of the vehicle's options:

1.8L L4 FI DOHC 16V, Axxis Metal Master brake pads, 15x7 Enkei RP-02 wheels, 195/50/15 Pirelli P7000 Summer tires, 'R' package air dam
- 'R' package rear lip spoiler
- Painted rocker panels
- Pilot oval fog lamps
- Clear side marker lights
- Isotta Nivola D-shape steering wheel
- Voodoo pistol grip (polished)
- Polished Aluminum vent rings

The car passed through the dealer's inspection and it is dealer maintained.
I have to sell the car because I've recently purchased a Bimmer and I cannot afford to pay taxes for both vehicles, thus I have to sell it as soon as possible.
I had posted it on eBay so i could benefit from their Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. I want to assure you that there are no hidden costs whatsoever, and the shipping and insurance charges have been paid by me. $ 2900 is the final price of the car.
Also, I need to sell it as soon as possible so do not hesitate to ask all your questions in your reply.

I hope we will be doing business together!

Sincerely,
Ryan Davis
Knowing now that this was some kind of scam, (shipping charges? The car is listed in the Atlanta Craigslist, and says it's in Atlanta. I reply:
Hello,

Where is this car located? Could I come see it this weekend?

Thanks,
-Eric M
Here's where it gets deeeeeeep.
Hello, Eric!

Sorry for the late answer. It's been a hectic week for me.I've spent the last two days on the phone with all kinds of people most of them asking stupid questions, not even being interested in buying the car. Hence, I've decided to do this via email.
Unfortunately the car has already left my garage. It is currently in a warehouse of the shipping company, in Wyoming. I had already sent it to someone who proved to be a scam... Luckily for me, the person who was helping me with the transaction found out about the scam and I was able to contact the shipping company in time.. They are now keeping it in that warehouse until I instruct them otherwise. I had to leave it there because I really couldn't afford to bring it back and send it again afterwards..
So my only option is the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. In case you are not familiar with it, here is how it works: you send me your full name and address so that I can register the transaction with eBay. After that, you will be contacted by an eBay representative, who will give you the payment details. You will have to make a deposit with them - I don't know how much, it's up to them, I don't know how they figure that out. After that, they will contact me and I will send the car. You will have the car for 5 days to test it. If you are not satisfied with it, you can send it back without having to pay anything, and <script><!-- D(["mb","\u003cspan style\u003d\"border-bottom:1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204);background:transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"border-bottom:1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204)\"\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"border-bottom:1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204);background:transparent none repeat scroll 0% 50%\"\>eBay\u003c/span\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/span\> will send back your deposit. If you decide to keep the car, you will have to send them the rest of the money and they will transfer the funds to me. I think this is the best way to proceed since it represents a guarantee for you and me both.\u003cbr\>*** \u003cbr\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-weight:bold;font-style:italic\"\>Ryan\u003c/span\>",1] ); //--></script>eBay will send back your deposit. If you decide to keep the car, you will have to send them the rest of the money and they will transfer the funds to me. I think this is the best way to proceed since it represents a guarantee for you and me both.

Ryan
I knew something was coming, but I didn't expect Wyoming. (laugh)(laugh) I should tell him my whole family is from Wyoming, and ask where in Wyoming it is, so I can call my nearest relative to go check it out for me.

To top it all off, Forum Member Zoomin MX-5 remembers seeing pictures of that car on Miata.net, so I'm going to see if anyone over there knows who it belongs to. Maybe I can send the "seller" more recent pictures of "his" car! (laugh)

I'm waiting for a call back from my friend who is a police Sergeant, to see if he knows what branch of law enforcement would handle this. This kind of stuff really pisses me off, so I'd like to get him busted, if at all possible.

Here are the pics, does this look like a $2900 car to you?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
since nothing has happened yet, more than likely the authorities wouldn't do s***

but the FBI will be the best bet since now ebay is involved, it's a potential interstate transaction

I seriously doubt that Ebay is actually involved. As far as whether or not anything has happened, well If I could get the authorities involved, they can press the issue.

If an agency wants to get involved, I could tell the guy I have a friend that wants the car. Of course, this is up here, the dude could find it.

send him a hello from another e-mail address. telling him you're in Wyoming and you're friend told you there is a nice car up there ;)

but it has a big R on the back from a Nissan Sentra. that's gotta add like $500

I also remember seeing that car on Miatanet.com. Not sure where, but I think it was somebody showing how well the new paint job turned out.

I hate scammers and was a victim of a scam myself about a year ago Lost ~$500 on an engine parts scam. I contacted the Police, but despite the fact that I had the parts, the name, the address AND the add, promising one thing while I was holding something else in my hand, they could do nothing since the seller was in another state. They recommended that I hired to a private lawyer that also had to be based in that state. Needless to say, I sold what I could and moved on with my life.

I'm with you Foolish. In this day in age, it's damn near hard to trust anyone. When I come across a scam, I wish so badly I had the ability to nab them and put them in jail. If I was extremely wealthy and retired, I'd use my money and time playing potential victim to these scam artists and bring them down, one at a time. Sadly ehough, it's only gonna get worse, and soon we won't be able to trust anyone. GRRRR.

MS6S2K said:
I If I was extremely wealthy and retired, I'd use my money and time playing potential victim to these scam artists and bring them down, one at a time.

Oh my god, that would be fun! Just to be the guy that took them down.... (chair)

Foolish said:
Oh my god, that would be fun! Just to be the guy that took them down.... (chair)

Would make for one hell of a reality tv series wouldn't it? Guess it's too painstaking and expensive, but it definitely would be fun to do. :)

MS6S2K said:
Would make for one hell of a reality tv series wouldn't it? Guess it's too painstaking and expensive, but it definitely would be fun to do. :)
It would be like "To Catch a Child-Molesting Internet Creep", or whatever that show is called, only it would be much funnier, and much less important to society as a whole!

Incidentally, I think the scam has run it's course. I emailed him back like a week ago, and haven't heard anything back. Of course, I did tell him I had family all over Wisconsin, and would send someone to check out the car, when his mail said Wyoming, but whatever. It's not like it would have mattered!

Ryan,

Where in Wisconsin is the car located currently? I have a lot of family members spread around that state, and could send someone to the car's location to check it out and take some more pictures for me.

Thanks,
-Eric

Back