Who has test-driven an RX-8?

I haven't driven an automatic 8, but I'd say from past experience it would be quite different in a 6 speed. :)

PreFknLude_SiR said:
http://www.bayareaprelude.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=2;t=4322

Hm.. where should I begin?

The RX8 offers a variety of goodies, some of which includes: Leather, heated seats/mirrors, remote on the mirror (to open garage, turn on tv, etc etc), automatic driver seat, DVD navi, 4 cupholders, automatic climate control, 6 speed close gear ratio - with a "safety" reverse lockout, and some other very cool s***. The salesman gave us a whole lecture about how good the RX8 is, and why it should be picked over the 350z, S2k, etc etc. He also told us that the rotary is a high rev'ing engine, and should be shifted at 6k RPM or so for daily driving. I thought to myself, 6k RPM shift for daily driving.. "no torque?" There is 8 frigging airbags! That means the car can float if it ever drowns.. haha.

Elton, the salesman, and I went to get gas. We stopped at the gas station, and no doubt, the RX8 is an attention grabber. The guy who was pumping gas in front of us came over to talk. When we were done getting gas, I hopped onto the driver seat and got comfy. Elton was sitting in the back, and he claims that the back is actually very comfortable. In Elton's exact words, "The back feels like a sedan."

I then took off and hopped onto the freeway. The car was very comfortable at 80, so I didn't even notice until I looked at the speedometer. There was 3 CHP in the fast lane, so I couldn't floor it. We hopped off the freeway and the salesman told me it's an empty, long stretch of road. I floored it as hard as I could, then I shifted at 9k RPM, redlining it. Then I power shifted into 2nd, and the rear ends broke loose. The car swerved a bit, but I regained control. I continued to floor it till 3rd, but we were coming to a VERY slight turn. I turned the steering wheel a bit, and the car swayed! I thought to myself, even the Protege5 outhandles the RX8, but the salesman told me that the designers of the RX8 spent over 8 years designing this car. I was very unsatisfied with the power, for it had absolutely no torque. The high ends didn't pull much either, but I think it's because I'm used to VTEC, and VTEC engages at about 5.2k RPM, giving that super push. The RX8 had a smooth power band, but didn't nearly feel as fast as I thought it would be. The handling of the car disappoints me as well.

It was then Elton's turn to test drive. I hopped in the back seat to see how it felt back there, and damn, it was so very comfortable. Elton took off, driving very safely as he made a u-turn back to the strip where I tortured the hell outta the RX8. Elton floors it, then the traction control light flashed. We (Elton and I) thought we broke the car already, lol. The car felt like it was really felt when Elton was test driving it, but Elton later explained to me that it was because the car has a soft suspension, so the car was just bouncing all over the place. At the end of test drive, Elton launched it at the light. The tires in the back kept spinning but it had no grip, so Elton let off the gas because he didn't want to burn the clutch on the brand new car.

Overall, the car sucked big time. It was such a disappointment.

Cons: Lack of torque/power/handling, poor gas mileage (18/25).
Pros: The engine sounds really nice; it actually sounds like a jet. The value was unbeatable. We test drove a fully equiped RX8, with the grand touring package. $299 a month for 60 months with a $3500 down payment. The car is only $26,000 fully equiped! 4 seats with 4 doors, with comfortable rear seats.

Elton, would you like to add anything else?
interesting...

i drove the six speed, put about forty miles on it and really put the car through some paces. i thought it had some nice power, the engine sound was a joy to the ears, the car felt rock solid in terms of build quality, not a rattle nor a shake and no engine vibration through the chassis. guess thats rotary for ya. the powerband was unreal in terms of smoothness, and love that redline. the steering was great, the handling was alot better than i thought. all in all i'd say i really liked the car. mid range power was not great, and the traction control really pissed me off for launches, but other than that i enjoyed the car immensely.

a whole day?? I'm jealous...
At most I got to drive one as fast as I could and took some detours for twisty action. :D The salesguy was kool.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
a whole day?? I'm jealous...
At most I got to drive one as fast as I could and took some detours for twisty action. :D The salesguy was kool.
So, what do you think about the RX8?

I love it. It is great in it's own market. Not really a sports sedan, but not a true sports car. To sum it up: great driver's car/grocery getter/people hauler. That's all it is meant to be. It's definately not a contender for the grand touring performance car market and has never been claimed to be.

That's what I love about Mazda. They don't try to "keep up with the Jones'", they just want to build a fun car.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
I love it. It is great in it's own market. Not really a sports sedan, but not a true sports car. To sum it up: great driver's car/grocery getter/people hauler. That's all it is meant to be. It's definately not a contender for the grand touring performance car market and has never been claimed to be.

That's what I love about Mazda. They don't try to "keep up with the Jones'", they just want to build a fun car.
You think so? The Spec-A version of the RX8 doesn't seem all that bad. In Best Motoring, they compared that with the RSX, S2k, and a couple of other cars in its class and the RX8 turned out first.

PreFknLude_SiR said:
You think so? The Spec-A version of the RX8 doesn't seem all that bad. In Best Motoring, they compared that with the RSX, S2k, and a couple of other cars in its class and the RX8 turned out first.

as it should

True, but in my view Mazda is going for a niche market with the RX-8. There will always be "number crunching" by various outside sources, but....meh, I can't explain it. Oof...Diane is at a loss for words!

Not trying to prove anyone wrong here though, so please don't take anything the wrong way. I have my opinion and you guys have yours. :)

I may be looking at it on a totally different level though.

I enjoyed the way the RX-8 drove. Compared to the RX-7s I have owned in the past, it didn't really compare. On launch it will fall flat on its feet if the RPMs aren't high enough. Other than that is an all around well built vehicle. I agree that it wasn't built to be a number cruncher, but it does have the fun factor. The handling is very well balanced too.

I'm withholding my judgement on PreFknLude_SiR's review until I actually test drive one....

but I would like to add that, the engine doesn't have that 'kick' like VTEC at a particular rpm because it's got a very linear powerband, there's no 'jump' in power at any particular rpm, it just goes and goes and goes without you knowing.

but I am surprised you felt the suspension was too soft, is your SH modded? that may be why

I test drove one last fall and what a sweet ride.

I was doing 155Km/h in fourth great at a mere 5000 RPM.

I was so smooth and low that I didn't even realise how fast it was.

GET A RX-8!!!

ZoomZoomH said:
I'm withholding my judgement on PreFknLude_SiR's review until I actually test drive one....

but I would like to add that, the engine doesn't have that 'kick' like VTEC at a particular rpm because it's got a very linear powerband, there's no 'jump' in power at any particular rpm, it just goes and goes and goes without you knowing.

but I am surprised you felt the suspension was too soft, is your SH modded? that may be why
I compared my SH with the RX8 stock for stock. But yeah, I saw a dyno graph (which is fairly inaccurate because the RX8 doesn't like to be dyno'd without the front wheels moving) and the graph looked very smooth, which I also think was mentioned in my review.

ZoomZoomH said:
it's got a very linear powerband, there's no 'jump' in power at any particular rpm, it just goes and goes and goes without you knowing.
sheer poetry!! (k)

PreFknLude_SiR said:
I compared my SH with the RX8 stock for stock. But yeah, I saw a dyno graph (which is fairly inaccurate because the RX8 doesn't like to be dyno'd without the front wheels moving) and the graph looked very smooth, which I also think was mentioned in my review.

Can you elaborate on this " Not happy RX-8 Dyno "

I am not flaming or criticizing. Just wondering because it makes so sense.
(p5white)

Back