Who has done aftermarket backup camera?

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
For those who have done an AFTERMAKET back-up camera install (be it HU monitor, rearview mirror monitor, or standalone LCD monitor) how does it power on? Is the idea that every time the transmission lever contacts "Reverse", both the screen and cam get power and display? Is there a built-in delay so if you shift out of P and into D quickly, it does not cause it to power on? Say you are parallel parking, does it constantly go on/off as you shift back and forth R<->D? Just wonder how different, if any, aftermarket solution works. Thanks. I am getting ready to do mine and am thinking of adding a twist to it but like to know how it should be.

Also, pics of your setup?

For those who have done an AFTERMAKET back-up camera install (be it HU monitor, rearview mirror monitor, or standalone LCD monitor) how does it power on? Is the idea that every time the transmission lever contacts "Reverse", both the screen and cam get power and display? Is there a built-in delay so if you shift out of P and into D quickly, it does not cause it to power on? Say you are parallel parking, does it constantly go on/off as you shift back and forth R<->D? Just wonder how different, if any, aftermarket solution works. Thanks. I am getting ready to do mine and am thinking of adding a twist to it but like to know how it should be.

Also, pics of your setup?

I haven't installed the cameras yet but the headunit in my Dakota and 5 is backup cam capable. Same unit in both vehicles. The Dakota takes the reverse signal off the CANBUS data line. The 5 uses the 12vdc+ off the reverse tail lamp. There is a small delay of maybe 1 second so the unit doesn't switch to cam mode when shifting through reverse. But it would enable the cam in a parallel park situation as long as the car is in reverse gear for about a second or longer.

The dedicated backup cam systems I've seen appear to pull power directly from the backup light itself. When in reverse and the light is energized the cam and monitor are on.....

Just installed a backup camera (Sony) and a LCD built-in to the rearview mirror. For the Rearview/LCD unit, brand is called Accele on Crutchfield's website but the box says otherwise. Anyway, cost was $119 for the mirror and it's a direct replacement. To remove the factory mirror, insert a small flat-head screwdriver on the bottom on the mirror base (glued to windshield) and jiggle it as you pull the mirror assembly upwards, it'll pop right out.

Now for the camera mounting, I mounted the unit LEFT (driver's side) of the license plate (will post some picts later). tapped the driver's side reverse lamp wire (Blue w/ White Stripes) for power and mounted the composite modulator unit on the right side behind the storage area. Tapped another wire from the Blue/White wire and ran it towards the front and connected both the red (+12V power) and green (trigger) and connected to the power wire coming from the reverse lamp wire. For some reason, I could not find the power wire for the lamp on the front passenger side kick panel nor the right side reverse lamp wire. Not sure how this has been wired since I do not have a schematic - so I opted for an easy way out. LCD comes on only when the shifter is put in "R" - shuts off when put in any other gear as it loses power at that point. LCD does have Bluetooth and 2 video inputs; Bluetooth I already have on GT trim so don't need it; for the other video input (AV1) I do not need it; but regardless, AV2 is controlled by the green trigger wire. In other words, even if you were to power the LCD via accessory power and sent video fee to AV1, AV2 will come on if the green trigger wire was connected to reverse lamp circuit.

Thinking of adding a 1000uF cap to the power to the modulator unit to ground to give it power to the camera before the LCD comes on so that I don't see the mirror showing "No Video Input" for about 250mS before the video feed comes in. I am sort of a perfectionist like that :)

EDIT: Here are some photos of the installed camera/LCD.
IMG_20130315_090846.jpg

IMG_20130315_090916.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

@ dieseldriver - It looks like the camera can rotate, is that correct? From the image you posted, it looks like you only intend on using it as a pure “back up” camera and NOT parking (I don’t see bumper lines). It just dawned upon me, are these two completely different terms with completely different meaning?? For me, the #1 reason for the backup cam is for parallel parking (tight spots) and a distant #2 is for seeing to back up. My brother in-law has a 2013 SRX and the backup cam shows bumper line and cars in the; it also has a backup distance indicator too (overall kill I think).

I stated a post on the12volt.com for wiring in case anyone’s interested. I’m only focusing on part1 for now and have all my things ready. Just need time (and motivation) to do it.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~133850~PN~0~TPN~1

Last edited:
Camera can pivot on its vertical axis - by loosening the two bolts from the bracket. But bracket, once mounted can move a little but by forcing it. So it's safe to say that it does not move. We use it primarily to see what's behind the car when backing up. It does help with parallel parking; even without the lines, you get a good indication of how close the other vehicle is; as once the bumper's front edge appears near the bottom of the LCD, then I know it's within inches from making contact. You can get different cameras with proximity lines also; I believe Kenwood might have them.
Thanks for the input guys.

@ dieseldriver - It looks like the camera can rotate, is that correct? From the image you posted, it looks like you only intend on using it as a pure back up camera and NOT parking (I dont see bumper lines). It just dawned upon me, are these two completely different terms with completely different meaning?? For me, the #1 reason for the backup cam is for parallel parking (tight spots) and a distant #2 is for seeing to back up. My brother in-law has a 2013 SRX and the backup cam shows bumper line and cars in the; it also has a backup distance indicator too (overall kill I think).

I stated a post on the12volt.com for wiring in case anyones interested. Im only focusing on part1 for now and have all my things ready. Just need time (and motivation) to do it.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~133850~PN~0~TPN~1

What blue/white wire are you guys tapping into? The one I have is a thicker gauge and if I use it, it automatically starts the backup camera and won't turn off at all on my head unit as soon as the ignition is on.

Latest posts

Back