Who Got Junk in the Trunk?!

I never thought about a torch. Are we talking about a small butane one, or a larger metal canned type used for plumbing? And have you needed it on the road yet?

Pretty sure he means flashlight. He is from Europe apparently... torch=flashlight.

I would think it would be highly dangerous to unnecessarily carry a butane torch on a daily basis.

Upfront I carry a tire pressure gauge and LED flashlight.

In the back I have a plastic storage bin which I keep:

microfiber towels
a water blade (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) )
an Absorber ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) )
Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
and a high visibility yellow reflective rain coat which I have from work.
a spare hoodie
a large sheet
small blanket

Last edited:
Pretty sure he means flashlight. He is from Europe apparently... torch=flashlight.

I would think it would be highly dangerous to unnecessarily carry a butane torch on a daily basis.

Ah ok. Well, I thought maybe he just liked to live dangerously! (lol)

Last edited:
In the city I keep it minimal; swiss army knife that has tools, credit card, cell phone. In the mountains I go all out; sleeping platform, thermarest mattress, sleeping bag, food, water, coat, extra clothes, ham radio, cell phone, flashlight. For a new car I don't need AAA, jumper cables, or toolbox, but have done that with my older cars. Cars are much more reliable today. Strongly suggest the ham radio if you are out in the SW deserts or Sierra/Rocky mountains. Many times those areas don't have cell towers, but do have ham radio repeaters.

Much more reliable, but bullet proof? You just never know what could happen. From my experience, new cars have trouble and get flats too. But I must be getting old (I'm 36), I never used to be a "preparer" when I was younger, but nowadays, I always try to be one step ahead. (doh)

Much more reliable, but bullet proof? You just never know what could happen. From my experience, new cars have trouble and get flats too. But I must be getting old (I'm 36), I never used to be a "preparer" when I was younger, but nowadays, I always try to be one step ahead. (doh)

Old? Wait another 20 years sonny. Back in the day (70s and 80s) cars were considered worn out at 50K miles, and now they last till 150K miles or more. Back in that era they were built very poorly and required repairs often. I think it was due to lack of competition than technology. As soon as the japanese cars took hold, Detroit was forced to increase reliability and durability. Didn't have cell phones or GPS, just paper maps and 10 cent phone booths if you could find one.

Today is very easy to get help if you happen to break down. GPS in your cell phone lets you find a garage and tow service close to you and call them up. Heck, you could find a auto store around the corner and walk over and get the part you may need or find and call a taxi and get the part. GPS and cell phones have made life very easy. Credit cards allow you to not worry about how much cash you have on hand too.

Get caught out in mountains/desert and its a different story. People die every year in remote places without cell service. You need to be prepared in those places. Ham radio operators have better coverage than cell towers believe it or not. Over 20,000 ham towers in USA and they tend to be in areas where cell phone are not covered. A little ham uhf/vhf HT or better yet all band HF rig will make sure you can get help no matter where you are.

Old? Wait another 20 years sonny. Back in the day (70s and 80s) cars were considered worn out at 50K miles, and now they last till 150K miles or more. Back in that era they were built very poorly and required repairs often. I think it was due to lack of competition than technology. As soon as the japanese cars took hold, Detroit was forced to increase reliability and durability. Didn't have cell phones or GPS, just paper maps and 10 cent phone booths if you could find one.

Today is very easy to get help if you happen to break down. GPS in your cell phone lets you find a garage and tow service close to you and call them up. Heck, you could find a auto store around the corner and walk over and get the part you may need or find and call a taxi and get the part. GPS and cell phones have made life very easy. Credit cards allow you to not worry about how much cash you have on hand too.

Get caught out in mountains/desert and its a different story. People die every year in remote places without cell service. You need to be prepared in those places. Ham radio operators have better coverage than cell towers believe it or not. Over 20,000 ham towers in USA and they tend to be in areas where cell phone are not covered. A little ham uhf/vhf HT or better yet all band HF rig will make sure you can get help no matter where you are.

I hope you didn't take the old comment as an insult, it wasn't meant that way. Seems like the HAM radio is great advice for those types of areas, and my father is also an operator. Are you in GA? What parts? I commute often from SC to Augusta, Ga. Btw, is your CX-5 deep crystal blue mica?

I keep the cell phone on me and use it daily but, not when driving because it is unsafe. :))

I hope you didn't take the old comment as an insult, it wasn't meant that way. Seems like the HAM radio is great advice for those types of areas, and my father is also an operator. Are you in GA? What parts? I commute often from SC to Augusta, Ga. Btw, is your CX-5 deep crystal blue mica?

Certainly no insult taken or implied. I'm in the process of leaving GA. Yes, mine is crystal blue.
[comedy=on] You young uns got it easy today! [comedy=off]

Mine is full of cycling gear helmet, shoes bike tools, chain cleaner and lube and of coarse my road bike

For years I drove around with a tool box full of that stuff and never needed it. With free road side assistance the need is even less.

The only "extra" things that are always in the car are..

Cell charger
2 rags
Chapstick
Case of water
Pocket Knife
Leatherman
Firearm

The rest or that stuff makes to much noise.

For years I drove around with a tool box full of that stuff and never needed it. With free road side assistance the need is even less.

The only "extra" things that are always in the car are..

Cell charger
2 rags
Chapstick
Case of water
Pocket Knife
Leatherman
Firearm

The rest or that stuff makes to much noise.
Ironically, the firearm will make more noise than all combined! (rlaugh)
I'm working on getting my concealed permit soon. I really haven't noticed any extra noise from extras, but I don't drive like Tony Stewart much anymore.

Usually got the esky in the back with some cold beers- need it for medicanimal reason's....honest!

Ironically, the firearm will make more noise than all combined! (rlaugh)
I'm working on getting my concealed permit soon. I really haven't noticed any extra noise from extras, but I don't drive like Tony Stewart much anymore.

Huh!?! Say what?!? Nice, any idea what you are going to carry? I just picked up another LCP and a another Glock 19. When my waits are up I'll be adding a G42 to try out.

I can not stand any rattles or clicks or pops or etc. So adding more things to bounce around is asking for trouble.

Cool, another Glock fan! I have a G22 but thinking of something just like your 19 for concealment. Feel safer with some put down power though :)

and dry-erase marker in case I need to quickly write down a license plate number or something on the window.

Oh, that's a good idea. In my glove compartment I have a small first aid kit & small flashlight and I have small microfiber towels in the door pockets. In the cargo area I have some plastic grocery bags and that's it!

Oh, that's a good idea. In my glove compartment I have a small first aid kit & small flashlight and I have small microfiber towels in the door pockets. In the cargo area I have some plastic grocery bags and that's it!

Hi Steel, I came from a compact 4 dr sedan, so I find I have A LOT of space now. In fact, way more than I need :) So, fortunately all the "stuff" I have in the CX-5 doesn't negatively affect me at all.

Last edited:
Hi Steel, I came from a compact 4 dr sedan, so I find I have A LOT of space now. In fact, way more than I need :) So, fortunately all the "stuff" I have in the CX-5 doesn't at all negatively affect at all.

That's cool. If we're all going on a road trip, I'm riding with YOU. (wink) Or I'm at least taking notes from your list. I usually drive in my suburbia bubble so I just travel light. :) Oh, I do keep an umbrella under my seat. :D

That's cool. If we're all going on a road trip, I'm riding with YOU. (wink) Or I'm at least taking notes from your list. I usually drive in my suburbia bubble so I just travel light. :) Oh, I do keep an umbrella under my seat. :D

Road trip, road trip! (drive2) where ya heading?! (thumb) Yeah, it's probably way overkill. Heck, I haven't even had a flat is so long, I can't even remember. Shoot, now I'll probably get a flat next week (attn)

Back