"White" Led Swap

There was a thread about 3 months back regarding swapping out the stock "yellow" LEDs in the front and rear for "white" LEDs. I have done my best searching but I guess I suck at it because I cant find it anywhere!

Anyone familiar with this post? it had a great write up on the different bulbs that the author had tried and a final recommendation that matched the light of the HID lights etc. also had a recommendation for the rear license plate lights as well.

If not, do you guys have any recommendations on what and where to buy these little LEDs. I have a mod hankerin that cant wait till sprint to be fulfilled!(wiggle)

Thanks!

Here are wedge led's in color white (yes I know they look blue). I changed every 194 bulb in my car with the 194's. I will be putting the stock ones back on the inside as they are not bright enought for me, but look great in the headlights.

James H

InvertedWedgewhiteled001-1.jpg

InvertedWedgewhiteled003-1.jpg

InvertedWedgewhiteled006-2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed this post, but that's my thread. Let me know if you have any questions. I haven't tried ALL the LED alternatives out there, but I think I have a pretty good idea what's available from the 2 sellers I used. I really like the fact that superbright now puts the colour temp of the bulbs in the info section, so you don't have to guess as much what they'll look like. I still stand by my opinion that their WHP bulbs had the nicest colour and good output for the overhead lights.

Sweet thanks.. It was a very helpful post!
I went with the tower IIs for the headlights, the WHPs for the interior and the 74s for the license plates. Pretty excited!

Did you also put in red LEDs for the foot area?
Also, where did you get installation info? manual?

Thanks Again!

Actually that red reflection is from the red bulbs I put in the rear overhead lights. It just happens to reflect really nicely off the pedals. My installation info was mostly from browsing the forums, but I think it does tell you how in the manual too. Taking the overhead units out is a bit of a PITA, but once you get the hang of it, you get better at it. Just be patient and you'll get it. the rest are pretty easy. There should be a thread somewhere about how to take the overheads out... check the how-to's, I just can't remember where I found it...

Actually the owners guide tells how to take the light out both front and rear, there are actually pictures.

James H

Just did the install. I was concerned that it would be a PITA but it was very straight forward. Cant wait to see what they look like in the dark. From what I can tell the Tower II are more blue than the HID headlights.

was that the case for you OJ?

Yeah, they are a little more blue. Not as blue as they are in most pics, but there is definitely some blue in them, I think they're around 5500k. Do you like them better than the OEM halogen bulbs though? I sure do, it just gives a little fancier look to me. I would prefer pure 4500k white, but I haven't found a bulb at that temp. that works there yet, so I'm happy with the Towers until one turns up.

E: Oh yeah, post some pics, quattro!!

Yes! Nice work quattro! Did you put red in the back too? We're almost twins! I have a cool shot of the dome lights that I'll post when I get home tomorrow night. What did you end up using for the license plate?

whoa! that is a cool pic oj.

btw oj. thanks for your thread on exterior leds. i found it very helpful and ordered per your suggestions. cant wait to get em in. just a lil cold out here in pittsburgh now a days.

Thanks mistersix, I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine! Make sure you post some pics when you get them in. And I feel your pain about the cold, it's been freezing in Toronto lately. Too cold for me to install my boost gauge, motor mount, and short shifter. :(

noob question alert

do you need to bake your headlights to loosen them to take them apart to install the "whiter" drls?

noob question alert

do you need to bake your headlights to loosen them to take them apart to install the "whiter" drls?

No sir! You just take the little panel off the back (from the engine bay) and reach in to find the right socket, twist, and gently pull. Then you can swap the bulb and reverse.

Back