Which tire would you choose?

I most likely have to replace one tire (Dinax-8 Radar) These are my only options currently:
Which would you choose?

Current tires have abt 25k of mainly city driving.
  • P225/55R19 Toyo TOYO A36 BW
  • 225/55R19 Kumho CRUGEN HP71 BSW
  • 225/55R19 Yokohama GEOLANDAR CV G058 BW
  • P225/55R19 Toyo TOYO A23 BW

I most likely have to replace one tire (Dinax-8 Radar) These are my only options currently:
Which would you choose?

Current tires have abt 25k of mainly city driving.
  • P225/55R19 Toyo TOYO A36 BW
  • 225/55R19 Kumho CRUGEN HP71 BSW
  • 225/55R19 Yokohama GEOLANDAR CV G058 BW
  • P225/55R19 Toyo TOYO A23 BW
I have Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire on my CX-5 for almost 3 years and 8,000 miles. Its UTQG is “600 A A” and I expect them to last about 60,000 miles.

Your Radar Dimax AS-8 tires have 25K miles and now you need a tire. If you have an AWD you can go to Discount Tire / America’s Tire to special order one and shave it to the similar depth like the other 3 (~6/32”?). That would be what I do if I’m in the same situation.

If you have a FWD, you could consider to get a pair of the same Radar Dimax AS-8 and put them at the front.

And any reason why you want to consider those 4 tires listed? All of them are poorly rated, and may not be better than Radar Dimax AS-8 tire.

Tire had a slow leak. Took it to dealer as my trustworthy mechanic has recently closed and they said they couldn’t repair it - that the hole was too close to the edge. The tires I posted were the ones the dealer has is stock. Costco plugged tire for $11. I assume I will eventually need to replace.

Tire had a slow leak. Took it to dealer as my trustworthy mechanic has recently closed and they said they couldn’t repair it - that the hole was too close to the edge. The tires I posted were the ones the dealer has is stock. Costco plugged tire for $11. I assume I will eventually need to replace.
If Costco says they can repair the tire, they will use approved method to repair the slow leak. They will dismount the tire and patch the leak from inside of the tire. The repair will last as long as the tire life, no need to worry about tire replacement anytime soon until the tread depth is approaching 3/32“.

BTW, your Mazda dealer could be lying about the leak is non-repairable just trying to sell you new tires.

Don’t go to car dealers for tire replacement or repair, just go to Costco since you do have one nearby. Or even better go to a local Discount Tire / America’s Tire and they usually will do free flat repair even if you didn’t buy the tire there.

If Costco says they can repair the tire, they will use approved method to repair the slow leak. They will dismount the tire and patch the leak from inside of the tire. The repair will last as long as the tire life, no need to worry about tire replacement anytime soon until the tread depth is approaching 3/32“.

BTW, your Mazda dealer could be lying about the leak is non-repairable just trying to sell you new tires.

Don’t go to car dealers for tire replacement or repair, just go to Costco since you do have one nearby. Or even better go to a local Discount Tire / America’s Tire and they usually will do free flat repair even if you didn’t buy the tire there.

Sound advice. Never go to the dealer for tires, their prices are always high.

469BF8FA-4D72-4E5C-AC32-58000B5B7082.jpeg

The location of the plug doesn't look too close to the edge. In agreement with others here, I think "somebody" was trying to sell you a new tire and not very good one's at that. I've had tires plugged similarly in the past with no issues. I'd just drive it with no concerns. After a while you may not be able to see where it's plugged as it wears in.

It was a plug, not a patch.
Like @Jmaz said above, the nail location definitely is in the safe area to repair. Costco car service did a right thing for you.

For a proper tire repair, Costco and Discount Tire / America’s Tire use a mushroom cold repair plug patch like this:

A0B2477D-EE66-4FB6-B0ED-4F0FDD6F6203.jpeg

The tech enlarges the nail hole a bit then pull the plug patch from inside and cut the extra plug even with the tread. Hence you see the plug part from outside. In the old days the approved repair was using a simple patch from inside. Later the plug part is added mainly to seal the nail hole and prevent the water getting into the tire plies mostly steel causing corrosion damage.

I caught a nail about a month ago on the right front. Too bad it was close to the edge. I keep those "slime" brand string type plug kits in my vehicles to get through in a pinch. Pretty easy to use and I've never had one come out, even close to the edge of a tire. Beats a donut spare (IMHO) .

IMG_20230723_122708881_HDR.jpg

I have Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire on my CX-5 for almost 3 years and 8,000 miles. Its UTQG is “600 A A” and I expect them to last about 60,000 miles.

Your Radar Dimax AS-8 tires have 25K miles and now you need a tire. If you have an AWD you can go to Discount Tire / America’s Tire to special order one and shave it to the similar depth like the other 3 (~6/32”?). That would be what I do if I’m in the same situation.

If you have a FWD, you could consider to get a pair of the same Radar Dimax AS-8 and put them at the front.

And any reason why you want to consider those 4 tires listed? All of them are poorly rated, and may not be better than Radar Dimax AS-8 tire.
those 4 tires are amongst the main ones stocked at many (if not most) mazda dealers. i thought the same thing at first, why those tires??:oops:

I caught a nail about a month ago on the right front. Too bad it was close to the edge. I keep those "slime" brand string type plug kits in my vehicles to get through in a pinch. Pretty easy to use and I've never had one come out, even close to the edge of a tire. Beats a donut spare (IMHO) .

View attachment 321226
Based on my experience I do believe the nail location shown on the picture is repairable using the inside plug patch at the Discount Tire. As long as the nail is not truly at the “tread edge”, Discount Tire will fix it with approved method.

Former moderator @Chris_Top_Her used the plug to fix the nail hole from outside a few times and has never had any ill effects. Since Discount Tire usually will fix the leak from inside for me (and for free) all the time, I have never bothered to DIY using a plug. The worst example was wife got 3 nails at the left rear tire on the BMW 528i and DT fixed them with 3 mushroom plug patches next to one another without any issues. My feeling is the patch or mushroom plug patch will never come loose from inside with air pressure keeps pushing it, but a plug from outside “could” with constant air pressure pushing it outwards.

Op, why are those your only choices? I wouldn’t choose any of them. I’d look for pirelli, Michelin or continental. check walmart. I also would replace two at a time, both front or both rear. if you are on stock tires, they are likely almost shot by now. Too much tread difference between tires can mess with your awd system.

Those are the options the dealer gave me. They put all new Dinax on in Fall 2019, at 33,000, right before I bought the car from them.
I wouldn’t buy tires from a dealer, period. I did once and learned the hard way. The 60k warrantied tires were down below 4/32nds at 40k miles. The dealer said ‘oh, well, contact the manufacturer to see what they’ll do.’

No thanks, life is too short to wrangle that bum steer. Since then, I buy exclusively at Discount Tire and pro-rated premature wear credits are on the spot and can be used on any new tires.

Since then, I buy exclusively at Discount Tire and pro-rated premature wear credits are on the spot and can be used on any new tires.
Yes, that’s the best part of buying tires at Discount Tire! I’ve been using that immediate pro-rated mileage credit almost every time the tread depth is down to 4/32“ and DT suggests me to get a new set of tires!

Back