Which one first? Mid-pipe or Header?

GolerDude

:
Protege 5
Hello everyone, I just got my racing beat catback exhaust put on yesterday and love it!!! Now I'm wondering if I should get a mid-pipe or the header. I'm going to get both eventually but I can't get them at the same time so I was wondering which one should I get first? I'm thinking of the SLS mid-pipe and the OBX racing header. Thanks for your help guys!!!

I'd recommend the header first. I have both, but I got the SLS first because my stock cat was rusted out, and I didn't notice any difference with the SLS. The OBX header, on the other hand, completely transformed the characteristics of this engine.

It is possible that the header made a bigger difference with the high flow cat already there. I've never driven a P5 with the header without the SLS.

I'd recommend the header first. I have both, but I got the SLS first because my stock cat was rusted out, and I didn't notice any difference with the SLS. The OBX header, on the other hand, completely transformed the characteristics of this engine.

It is possible that the header made a bigger difference with the high flow cat already there. I've never driven a P5 with the header without the SLS.

The header on a other wise stock exhuast makes a huge difference and it still sounds stock to! I know I did it on my old p5.

Since you're in Canada I'd recommend the OBX header first. I did both at the same time and I had mixed feelings about the swap. I loved the sound that came from them when combined with the catback, but my fuel mileage went down. Of course the two pieces you mentioned shouldn't have that problem as I was running a Ractive header (POS). But I am now switching to an OBX and am looking forward to the results.

Also keep in mind being in Ontario, emissions testing is very strict. I failed with the hiflow setup but it entirely depends on the condition of the cat as it should pass when combined with the OBX and if the cat is nice and hot. Either way you should look forward to the results!

either way you win! i have both and love them so i say look around in the f/s section and whichever pops up first just get it!

If you might get stuck with whatever you buy first as your only mod, (plans change, money burns, attentions wander) stick with the header.

Header will get you more noticeable gains, but the two together is the way to go. Ken shipped out my OBX header & SLS mid-pipe on Tuesday. (rockon)

Alright guys thanks for all the useful info. I'm definatly going to get the header first and get the mid-pipe like next month. Just got my racing beat catback on! Cant wait for the header!(dance)

Back