Which New Mazdas Have Reliable Engines?

:
2018 CX5
Would like to purchase a new Mazda but reading that the NA 2.5 and the 2.5 Turbos have had issues with cracking of the heads. Are there any new Mazdas that don't have these "time bomb" engines?

Pretty much all of them, IMO. Those issues are fairly rare, they just seem common because those who have the issues are the most vocal about them, which makes total sense.

That said, the 2.5T engine had a new cylinder head designed and implemented to address the cracking back in 2021. As far as I know, the 2.5 NA with CD has not had any new parts designed or implemented related to the cracking. It has had some TSBs and a recall that affected the 2018-19 CX-5, Mazda6, and 2019 Mazda3 for an engine problem that was addressed with a software patch.

Thanks. So, unless they redesign the head for the NA 2.5, maybe the best bet is the 2.5T since Mazda addressed the issue.

Just curious if you're trying to bail out of your 2018 before a possible cracked head, or if it's just approaching the amount of elapsed time that you normally purchase a new vehicle anyway?

Thanks. So, unless they redesign the head for the NA 2.5, maybe the best bet is the 2.5T since Mazda addressed the issue.
It wasnt an issue with the NA? - Mazda makes tweaks to many things every new model year and like many other mfgrs - arent required to publicize it --software tweaks etc -
For example the 22 CX5 ad campain didnt say " we redesigned the heads on the turbos since a few cracked ...". no The 2.5 NA IS the heart of the MAZDA corporation - and since Mazdas #1 in reliability in the USA ( beating Toyota ) - and the CX5 NA is the number #1 selling engine/ model -.... if that NA has issues - I would be very surprised - I think they are both great engines ! Turbos are a blast to drive - really fun , We drive our NA on road trips and like the great mileage -I can get 35 on average on a 1000 mile trip including city driving - but its mostly flat driving

Among these three ... 2.5NA w/o CD is probably the simplest and most reliable one.
2.5T is OK after the 2021 modification.

I have three Mazdas w/ 2.5NA (w/o CD). Only issues have been:
1. '16 Mazda6: belt tensioner replaced
2. '14 Mazda3: timing chain cover showing seepage

My '17 CX5 and '22 CX5(turbo) have been reliable so far.
(knock on woods)

No. This is just not correct.

I can't speak for the 2.5T, other than that adding a turbocharger to any engine will generally decrease reliability somewhat.

The NA Skyactiv's are amongst the most durable, reliable and longest lasting engines ever designed.

No. This is just not correct.

I can't speak for the 2.5T, other than that adding a turbocharger to any engine will generally decrease reliability somewhat.

The NA Skyactiv's are amongst the most durable, reliable and longest lasting engines ever designed.
Maybe so except some owners (since 2018 when CD was added) are having their NA heads crack after only 30K miles!

Just curious if you're trying to bail out of your 2018 before a possible cracked head, or if it's just approaching the amount of elapsed time that you normally purchase a new vehicle anyway?
Because of the potential head crack since our powertrain warrantee is over. Otherwise, would not be considering it since our 2018 has only 36K miles and has been a great SUV!

Agreed.

And all 2.5T before Mazda modified the cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket in 2021 could potentially have cracked cylinder head and coolant leak.

I can’t agree with this statement if you include the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation.

On Mazda’s 2.5L NA with CD, not only the cracked cylinder head with oil leak could happen however it may be rare, but also the failing switchable hydraulic lash adjusters used by CD with valve tapping noise.

From what I’ve been reading on various forums and just from others around me that have them. They’re very reliable, and so far 17k miles in I’m lovin my 22 3 premium. 2.5 NA.

I will die on the hill that a Turbo does not decrease engine reliability. They require better maintenance practices but absolutely are not less reliable simply because a turbo was added.

Back