Which gas is better for the engine?

My2K

:
2014 Mazda6 GT Silver/Black Leather
I've read discussion on here that there is no reason to use anything other than 87 octane in the 6. Since the car will run just fine on 87, I was wondering if there was an octane level (or preferred brand) of gas that is better for the engine when it come to cleanliness. My local station has signs on the pumps claiming their 91/93 octane has super detergents that help keep valves clean of gunk and carbon build up. I also heard that all octane levels have some sort of detergent in it. I've never had a problem where the mechanic told me my valves might be too dirty, but I was just curious.

If possible, I'd look for non-ethanol 87 from one of these: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

They all sell gas with more than the EPA mandated amount of detergent. Even if you have to get an ethanol blend where you live the listed stations should provide a better product.

It will run fine on the 87, as the SKYACTIV engine is detuned in the US market to use the lower grades of fuel we use.

It will run better on the 89 or 91 octanes, and a miniscule amount better MPG by allowing the engine to use different knock sensor/timing program variables.

The choice is yours, if you are budget minded go with the 87, if you are performance oriented use the 91.

Shell 91 has no ethanol. However probably not worth it if the car runs on 87.

Minimum octane rating here is 91, then 95 "premium unleaded", then 98 top of the range. I recently took my auto (no manual option here) petrol touring wagon on a 3,500 km trip, three up with luggage, mostly highway driving, and achieved average fuel consumption of 6.7 litres per 100 km (35.1 mpg US, 42.1 mpg imperial). I was achieving just under 1,000 km's per tank on easy highway sections, so very happy! I also alternated between 91 octane and E10 (10% ethanol) and saw no discernable difference in performance and consumption. I rarely use premium as the extra cost (usually 12c per litre) is not made up in better performance or consumption.

The engine is a Direct Injection Engine... the "cleaners" in gas won't do much since it never touches the valves. The injector is after the valve in a Direct Injection Engine.

This is why some of the DI engines need to be de-carboned by pulling the heads, or using an inspection access. Mazda fixed this by engineering the heads to run hotter and self-cleaning... but again, the gas never touches them, so any "fuel injector cleaner" is going to do *NOTHING*.

Back