When replacing the air filter...

sylva143

:
2014 Mazda CX 5 GT
You may be better off staying with the genuine Mazda part. I purchased a generic brand for about $17, installed it, and then noticed an increase in noise from the engine, especially with hard acceleration and climbing. I may have also noticed a decrease in gas mileage. Although both filters looked nearly identical, my guess is that the generic version did not seal properly. The white filtering material looked identical, but perhaps there were some differences that contributed to the problem.

The Mazda version is only $19.95, so not enough of a difference to justify an aftermarket part.

I've found that to be true with Mazda as the company prices most stuff resonably. Engine air filter, Cabin air filters and oil filters. Little to be gained with generic. Ed

Anyone know of a good place to buy a genuine cabin air filter online? Dealer just wanted $80 to install one. Seems easy so I'd much rather do it myself for $20-$30.

Well based on what the OP said, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket brand. Why take the chance if you can get the genuine Mazda part?

I thought OP wes talking about engine air filter (not cabin air filter), that being the case OE filter advised.
You're absolutely right. How did we go from engine air to cabin air in 3 short posts? If no one else steps up, I'll take the blame!
PS: You still hangin' round?

You're absolutely right. How did we go from engine air to cabin air in 3 short posts? If no one else steps up, I'll take the blame!
PS: You still hangin' round?

I'm still popping in, must be a bad habit.

Maybe I just miss my CX-5... Enjoying the IS350 and C250 (so smooth turbo 4 banger) more frequently as a result.

How's your CX-5 doing? Keeping you entertained enough? I hope the best for you and your family, I hope home is okay after the quake

You might see if your dealer will price match especially if online retailer is another Mazda dealer. The shipping charges may negate any savings.

No complaints on the CX-5. Wifey and I watched the unveiling of the 2016 MX-5 last night and now she's got a picture of it as a screen saver on her computer. I guess that means we'll be shopping for one (her third!) to replace her aging NC when the ND arrives next year. I get to drive it (and maintain it) on weekends. As for earthquakes, we were in the "right valley" this time, but our time will come. Being a native San Franciscan, I've learned to take them more or less in stride. Cheers!

I buy many of my OEM parts (filters, etc) from ebay. There's lots of dealership parts departments that sell there and offer good prices. I think ebay is often a good, overlooked source. Just got my OEM air filter today for under $17 with shipping included.

Any thoughts with respect to higher capacity air filters such as a K&N? Do they make a difference on this vehicle?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Any thoughts with respect to higher capacity air filters such as a K&N? Do they make a difference on this vehicle?

Why do you call the K&N filter "higher capacity"? Because it lets more grit into your engine and engine oil?

The OEM CX-5 air filter is the highest quality air filter I've ever seen and it has minimal restriction (almost none), probably lower than any K&N replacement due to the OEM having so much surface area.

Why do you call the K&N filter "higher capacity"? Because it lets more grit into your engine and engine oil?

The OEM CX-5 air filter is the highest quality air filter I've ever seen and it has minimal restriction (almost none), probably lower than any K&N replacement due to the OEM having so much surface area.

Well, based on a lot of comments I've seen in forums for different vehicles, there's a fair bit of love for K&N filters. You can even find references to them in the Mazda3 engine forum. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with them on a CX-5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back