When do I need to run premium?

bazooka joe said:
stock - neva, ecu change, turbo yes!
exactly...

you can also help this by running colder step plugs and you can play a bit more before the 'ping' begins but no bolt-on for the protege should require you to move up to premium gas no matter how many of them you string together.

the change from the P5 to the Spec is still making my wallet hurt (91 or 93 when I can get it because of advanced timing of the motor and cams are coming soon with my header...)

hyperboarder said:
Is it ok to run 85, that's what regular here is.

Most cars actually suggest 87 octane, but I see people run 85 all the time, my friends do it. and I did it in my 88 Corolla all the time and saw no problems, until the tow truck hit it :)

I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you don't care about the car, I run midgrade all the time.

octane rating is just a fuel's resistance to detonation.....a car meant to run on 87 octane will run best on just that,87 octane...not only will putting high test in the car be a waste of money, you will actually LOSE power,granted only VERY slightly

There is nothing in our ECU's that will sense 89,91,93 octane or whatever and say "hey, it's ok to advance ignition timing" and adjust for the higher test fuel...if this was so,it would create more power, and we would all be using high test for a horsepower gain

the only thing in the car like this is a knock sensor..this is basically a glorified microphone tuned in to detect the sounds of knock from pre-ignition...if it does, it sends a signal to the ECU to RETARD timing....so basically the only way a situation would happen the way YOU stated, it would still be just a misinterpretation

like this: you start hearing rod knock running 87....to fix it you run 89 and this temporarily gets rid of it...but guess what...the fuel was the problem, something ELSE was and you just covered it up...then it gets worse...knock comes back...then you switch to 93..knock goes away again...YOU interpret it as the ECU getting USED to the fuel, when in fact you couldnt be more wrong........

make sense ?????

listen to tampa. run 87 if it calls for regular. you are making things somewhat worse for the vehicle if you use premium and it doesnt recommend it

Ive said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again. Run better quality fuel (better brand), not higher octaine. Mind you, that's for P5's, MP3's and MS's are different.

Agreed! Shell is one of the few companies that doesn't blend with ethyl alcohol... much cleaner for the injectors. I try to use Shell exclusively.
Pesty said:
Ive said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again. Run better quality fuel (better brand), not higher octaine. Mind you, that's for P5's, MP3's and MS's are different.

Back