Wheel won't come off of hub grr...

MadBiker

Luv my MP5!
:
2002 Protege5
I hope I stuck this in the right forum...sorry if I didn't

Has anybody had a problem with the rims getting really "stuck" to the rotor hub? I wanted to paint my calipers but the 4th wheel just won't come off! The other 3 were "stuck" on but a gentle nudge unglued it, but this one won't budge.:mad:

I even gently (and I mean gently) lowered the car (lug nuts off) with my floor jack so that the weight of the car would hopefully nudge it loose, but no, it supported the weight of the car! I couldn't believe it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What do you experts do? Please let me know. Thanks!

Give it a boot. Mine was stuck too, so I got pissed and kicked it and it popped off.

Rubber Mallet.

Some members here even carry it with them just in case it happens again.

eggynatey said:
Give it a boot. Mine was stuck too, so I got pissed and kicked it and it popped off.

(lol)
Just make sure they're not steel toed.

Hey thanks guys, but seriously this one is tough.

I spent an hour kicking it... nogo. The others were stuck too to some extent because of the bonding that takes place but they came off. This one is every expletive I can think of. I don't have a mallet either, grrr, and I don't have 'nuff room to swing it either in my tight garage. See my sig.? 3 red calipers... grrr...

kick it all around lightly, she'll pop right off. I think it is from the rust attaching to the alloy wheels

Could always try some liquid greese/wd-40 soak it real good around the hub for a while. You don't need to really hit the wheel hard with the rubber mallet just something with a little bit more of a focal point than your shoe.

Either that or whip out a paint brush and paint the the hard way :D

Leave the car on the ground and loosen up all of the lugnuts a few turns, but not too much. Slowly drive it forwards and backwards a bit. This should break the wheel loose if kicking it or a rubber mallet won't do the trick.

Mazdadan to the rescue!! You know, I thought about it but I was afraid it might do some damage. That's the simplest solution and uses the weight of the car. I will try that and let you all know!!

Thanks guys, I really love this forum...:cool:

Hmm that would work to if they were stuck on big time, the mallets normally do it though. Plus much more satisfying to sit there and pound the living crap out of the car.

Now if you want real fun, try getting rusted rotors off!
*shudders at memories*

light tap with a sledge hammer worked for me. One time the CAA dude used a large 2x4 to whack the tire from the wife's civic. (car was lifted using a large inflatable thing, otherwise it would have fallen right off the jack.

REMillers said:
Rubber Mallet.

Some members here even carry it with them just in case it happens again.

LOL.. you are talking about me aren't ya..
I went to Home Depot and bought a rubber mallet to get mine off so I could paint 'em. Now I carry it with me incase I get a flat tire..

one more thing...the stock rims should have 5 holes right where the rim and rotor meet....these holes travels all the way to the center hub. Use good old WD-40 with the "straw" and spray away.

Raise the car and support on jack stands. Spray PB Blaster all around where the rim and hub meet. (Don't worry, you won't use too much.) Sit back and have a beer or three, then use a rubber mallet all around the wheel. If that don't do the trick, repeat the process.

I tried Mazdadan's suggestion - i.e., loosen the lugnuts and drive on it, but I can't believe it, no go.

So WD-40 or PB Blaster... what's PB Blaster?
So, like LisaKay, I guess I do need to go to home depot and get a rubber mallet...

thanks for all the suggestions guys. you guys are great. I'm probably gonna have to go to the NJ Hooters meet with 3 red calipers cause I can't afford to spend any more time on this like I have been the last 3 days ... darn it darn it darn it darn it

(argh)(bang)(gun):'(

Dang they must be really stuck on.

PB Blaster is kinda of like WD-40 just more solid, almost like Liquid Wrench. Works great.

Good luck though, glad I take mine off alot to clean them.

Do all of the above:
Loosen the lug-nuts, spray some WD-40, lower the jack, whack it with a mallet, and kick the s*** out of it!! :D

And if all else fails, yell really really loud at it. Walk away, mallet in hand. Turn quickly turn around, run at it and give a good whack. Repeat till either wheel falls off or your voice is gone. :D

Back