Wheel decision

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I'm contemplating to get one of these wheels, instead of repainting the used Audi wheels, but I'm having a hard time making a decision, which one would look better with my Sky Blue color.
The silver one is very cheap, I have to consider that also.
I can pick them up locally.
They are heavy I know, but all 20" are heavy(31.5Lbs).
These are actually cheaper on Ebay from the same seller, if I pick them up locally.
http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-553-Wheels-20x9-25-Chromium-Black-p/553091450.htm
http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-553-Wheels-20x9-25-Silver-Machined-p/553091413.htm
There are also the XXR550, which are lighter(27Lbs)
http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-550-Wheels-20x9-25-Chromium-Black-p/550091450.htm

It might not be that bad with the 2.5, but 2.p0op was an extra dog when I had heavy wheels on it. I noticed a difference in acceleration (with the expense of grip) just going from 255/45/20 to 245/45/20. YOu might consider getting 8.5's instead of 9.5's. that will probably put you at about 28-29lb, and that width with your ride height might give you a rub at sharp deflection, or turning on a bumpy surface. Those 550's will look sick with your paint and ride height. 553's will be a b**** to clean. I think the silver wheels will not exemplify the unique color of your car as the contrast with the black wheels. I see a nice looking sky blue speed 3 in my area sometimes, black wheels, low stance, looks mint.

Also having the black contrast will allow you to match other accessories you may be interested in such as LED taillights.
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Obviously your set up will look more aggressive and sporty without the monsterstruck status. And your grip will be awesome. Btw did you install that swaybar yet?
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
I'm thinking about the black/chrome as well.
I thought about the cleaning, but I won't do that, the car wash place will do it(ha ha).
The problem I'm having with the 550s, is that if I look at them, from the side of the car, they don't look to good, just some thin spokes.
It's a different story from an angle, they look fantastic from a quarter view.
The 553's, look good from any angle and they are unique looking wheels.
These wheels, come only in 9.25" width(16 and 36 ET) and 10.25" wheels(40 ET).
The wheels I already have, are 225/45R20.
I will get the Chromium ones, in 9.25 width, ET 36. Red anodized tuner nuts and red painted calipers.
I don't want to wait any longer, to be able to paint those other wheels. This summer is really long and hot.

They are heavy I know, but all 20" are heavy(31.5Lbs).

Wow. That's 10 lbs/wheel! That adds a whopping 40 lbs. to the car but, much worse, it's all rotational inertia. Not to mention unsprung weight.

I could never cripple the driving feel in that way myself. If you're after more grip, just buy sport rubber for your 17"ers.

Wow. That's 10 lbs/wheel! That adds a whopping 40 lbs. to the car but, much worse, it's all rotational inertia. Not to mention unsprung weight.

I could never cripple the driving feel in that way myself. If you're after more grip, just buy sport rubber for your 17"ers.

So there's no downside to 17" only upsides? There has to be trade-offs otherwise all Porches will get 17" rims and not 19"/20" rims. I didn't test drive a CX-5 with 17" but I feel my 19" provide excellent handling and steering feel, and a feeling that the car is connected to the road. I'm not convinced the 17" with 65 aspect ratio provide no loss in road feel compared to the 19".

If you like sidewall flex when you corner 17" pizza cutters are the way to go

So there's no downside to 17" only upsides? There has to be trade-offs otherwise all Porches will get 17" rims and not 19"/20" rims. I didn't test drive a CX-5 with 17" but I feel my 19" provide excellent handling and steering feel, and a feeling that the car is connected to the road. I'm not convinced the 17" with 65 aspect ratio provide no loss in road feel compared to the 19".

The 17" wheel/tire combo gives you reduced unsprung weight and rotational inertia, less costly tires, and a little more cushion from road surface irregularities. The downside is a slight decrease in the feeling of being "connected" to the road due to higher sidewalls with more flex. I haven't driven a CX-5 with 17" wheels but on my last 3 cars I alternated between summer and winter tires mounted on different rims - always a smaller diameter rim on the winter tires. With the smaller diameter wheels/higher profile winter tires, the ride was more comfortable but the overall crispness of handling degraded somewhat. Whether it's an issue depends on driver sensitivity and preference. Some can't notice it, some don't care, and some both notice it and care.

40lbs cripples the driving feel! Calm down......

Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't understand rotational inertia and gyroscopic forces. Watching this video will help you understand the type of forces we are dealing with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeyDf4ooPdo

No self-respecting video game maker would release a driving game without mathematically modeling these forces to replicate real driving dynamics. Yes, it takes extra processing power to model such forces (not to mention programmer time and effort). This would not be done if the driving dynamics were not affected significantly. The following link describes most of the benefits gained with lighter wheels:
http://tires.about.com/od/understan...e-Lightness-Of-Being-Carbon-Fiber-Wheels.html

Finally, if you are interested in a classical mathematical modeling of such forces, you may find the following text from 1909 useful:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...qI8Ayd-ML9VMtf0Wg&sig2=BPbB3PkJ3DjiO-Sb-5hQuA

If you like sidewall flex when you corner 17" pizza cutters are the way to go

Spoken by someone who doesn't understand much about sidewall flex.

Sidewall flex is good for cornering and handling which is why even formula 1 cars have pneumatic tires and a reasonable amount of sidewall on their tires. These cars are all about handling and corner performance and could certainly go to a reduced sidewall if it would increase performance. The modern urban/youth/style trend to very small sidewalls is all about looks, throwing performance out the window. It's utterly ridiculous! That said, a CX-5 with 225/55/19 is not what I'm talking about. But reducing sidewall height is not the be all, end all of increasing cornering performance. There is a sweet spot and that will vary depending upon the tire in question.

What most people don't realize is that a certain amount of sidewall flex is good, the trick is to keep the tread flat to the road and preventing sidewall "tuck-under". And a high quality modern tire with quality carcass construction can be very good at this due to the innovative ways the various layers of belts are laid up. These belts have almost no stretch and, even under high cornering loads, can do an exceptional job of controlling these undesirable factors.

There is currently a debate in formula 1 as to tire/wheel sizes. In many ways the shorter sidewall height actually reduces performance due to less sidewall flex and the need to run higher pressures/softer rubber compounds. There are always trade-offs and it is not nearly as straight-forward as the over-simplified Internet explanation (more sidewall=comfy ride, less sidewall=better cornering) makes it seem. By reading the following article you will see just how ignorant this over-simplification is:

http://thewptformula.com/2015/08/08/analysis-13-vs-18-wheels/

That is, if you really want to learn something rather than continuing to parrot urban car culture "wisdom" which is more style conscious than performance orientated.

The best way to increase cornering performance is to install a performance tire, this will add a lot more performance without dealing with the negative performance aspects of decreasing sidewall height.

40lbs cripples the driving feel! Calm down......

Doesn't that equal a roughly ~20% increase in un-sprung weight at each corner?

(wow)

Maybe find a used tire/wheel place where you can try out a set of the larger size combo?

Having driven a few cars with various weights of wheels, switching alloys at winter etc, I have never felt that big a difference in acceleration. But then again, my last three cars have had over 250 ft lbs torque, the CX5 having 310, so I think this goes some way to take away the effect. I guess it's felt more in the petrol CX5's when pulling away in low revs.

Having driven a few cars with various weights of wheels, switching alloys at winter etc, I have never felt that big a difference in acceleration. But then again, my last three cars have had over 250 ft lbs torque, the CX5 having 310, so I think this goes some way to take away the effect. I guess it's felt more in the petrol CX5's when pulling away in low revs.

Regardless of engine torque, there is better road holding and cornering dynamics which is especially apparent during spirited driving or slick surfaces. You will not feel these aspects at all during normal bland driving but it dramatically alters the character of the vehicle when pushing it. And that's why the gyroscopic forces are modeled in video games (to increase realism while driving in a spirited manner).

That said, a CX-5 with 225/55/19 is not what I'm talking about. But reducing sidewall height is not the be all, end all of increasing cornering performance. There is a sweet spot and that will vary depending upon the tire in question.

For someone who enjoys performance driving what is the sweet spot? I don't find the stock 225/55/19 to be overly aggressive in any way and I think you agree with that. In some ways I feel the stock 17" rims with 65 series tires are rather too conservative for sporty driving but you seems to think otherwise. FWIW my wife's Acura has 235/60/18 on 7.5" wide rims. These are identical in height to the stock Mazda tires. The 18"s have a smoother ride but felt less connected to the road.

An interesting fact. My wife's Acura RDX is almost an identical twin to the CX-5 in terms of interior and exterior size. The Acura weighs 3,946 lbs and the CX-5 weighs 3,589 lbs. The diff. in engines account for some of the weight difference, but I'm surprised the CX-5 is that much lighter.

Last edited:
Yes I can see how a f1 cars tires and compounds chosen for their driving conditions and needs translate into the tires I use on my car which usually is going no more than 80 and imade to last for thousands of miles in different conditions. My opinion comes from driving a car with lower profile wider tires and driving other cars with small wheel large profile skinny tires ( typically oems). I can tell the difference is highway speed turning or abrupt lane changing for example. Thats like comparing a road bike tire to a high performance racing motorcycles tire. I have never driven an f1 car nor have i driven f1 speeds in any car on a racetrack at that. I have driven regular cars that are not running f1 tires.

Last edited:

If I would have the 2.0L I wouldn't do it either, but the 2.5 can handle that extra weight.
It is all for looks, I won't be racing with this car. I may push it a bit harder in corners and start a bit faster then others, from the stop light, but that's all.
I know, I don't have a Porsche(maybe my next car).
I'm looking for opinions, on COLOR and not which tires are used by F1 cars.
Chris, the sway bar was promised to be shipped, on 10/22.

The 18"s have a smoother ride but felt less connected to the road.

That's as much a function of the tire construction and air pressure as the relatively moderate difference in aspect ratio.

The sweet spot in terms of sidewall height very much depends upon the road surface and the suspension tuning of the vehicle. The two go hand in hand (along with tire construction). I like my vehicle to shine in all commonly encountered conditions. Unless you will only be on perfect pavement with no mismatched expansion seams, over-lapping blacktop layers, occasional small stones/gravel, etc., I do think the 17" wheels with their 4.5" of sidewall leave very little on the table and is definitely better for unpaved roads than setups with less sidewall. You could likely get a little more out of a good 18" or 19" setup on smooth pavement but the difference would be small (assuming optimum tire selection in all setups) and performance on unpaved roads suffers. This is why rally cars run tires with generous sidewall heights.

As the tire volume decreases (as is the case with the lower profiles), a corresponding increase in tire pressure is required to support the vehicle. That is why models with 19" wheels specify two PSI higher. All else being equal, this necessitates running a slightly softer compound to achieve similar cornering forces.

Matching all of these things up is very much a guessing game although it does become less hit and miss as you gain experience. This is why tire reviews should not be taken too seriously unless they are done on the same car in the same size tire. Using the latest snow tire I purchased in 225/65/17 as an example, the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT for passenger cars (not the SUV model). Tire Rack tested this tire and three other winter tires on a BMW 328i sedan with 215/60/16 tires. Not only is this a narrower tire than the CX-5, it also has about 12% less sidewall. I've done 3 winters on it and driven it hard on plenty of bare or bare/wet pavement. My first impression was that it had exceptional steering response and under hard cornering, to the limits of traction, it was very predictable and had no tendency to "tuck under". It was a little better than the stock Geolanders and far better than any winter tire I had driven. However, Tire Rack testers rated it very low in handling dry and wet pavement, the exact opposite of my findings. I felt the sidewalls were very supportive and I think in the lower profile used on the BMW, the tire was too "wooden". But on the CX-5 it performs brilliantly. They also claimed it had the loudest roar of all the winter tires in the test but I found the sound levels very tame, about on par with the Geolanders. Again, the supportive sidewall may transmit more road noise to the wheel but, in the higher profiles, maybe this noise is dampened sufficiently.

The point being, the tire has a lot to do with what is the perfect sidewall height. I find the tire selection in 225/60/19 to be so poor that I would eliminate the 19" wheel option on that basis alone.

As an aside, the Goodyear Ultra-Grip Ice WRT is finally available again in 225/65/17 (after being completely sold out last year). The new production is just arriving in shops. I only mention this because I've found it to play exceptionally well with the CX-5 in the OEM 17" size and is a great choice for anyone who does more miles on wet/cold roads than ice/snow and wants a tire that retains the sporty handling of the CX-5 while still handling the slippery stuff with authority. Surprisingly, it is also very affordable at only $115 at Tire Rack.

Yes I can see how a f1 cars tires and compounds chosen for their driving conditions and needs translate into the tires I use on my car which usually is going no more than 80 and imade to last for thousands of miles in different conditions.

Chris, I think you may have missed my point which was simply that a high sidewall profile is in no way incompatible with high performance and great steering feel.

My opinion comes from driving a car with lower profile wider tires and driving other cars with small wheel large profile skinny tires ( typically oems). I can tell the difference is highway speed turning or abrupt lane changing for example.

Yes, you have probably experienced a lot of OEM tires in skinny high profile sizes or budget replacement tires so common at national tire store chains. OEM tires are built to a tight price point. And, yes, higher profile tires are more demanding of sidewalls and require better construction while a lower profile tire is naturally less demanding of sidewall construction.

If I would have the 2.0L I wouldn't do it either, but the 2.5 can handle that extra weight.

Either engine can "handle" the extra weight of 20" rims and the negative handling/traction impacts will be essentially the same regardless of which engine you have. It's just a question of whether you would want to put up with the negatives.

It is all for looks, I won't be racing with this car. I may push it a bit harder in corners and start a bit faster then others, from the stop light, but that's all.

I guess the "looks" is subjective but obviously this is pretty important criteria for you because 0-30 peppiness is one of the big and obvious benefits of lighter wheels/tires.

I'm looking for opinions, on COLOR and not which tires are used by F1 cars.

The link to the F1 article was simply to illustrate that high profile tires are not incompatible with excellent handling as some replies alluded to. I was not implying that YOU were shopping for F1 tires!

Last edited:
...this forum and wheel/tire arguments...man...

Personally I prefer the 550's to the 553's. The 553's remind me of the old BBS spoked wheels from the 80's, great for it's time, but not very attractive now.
As for color, if you want to be stealthy (think sleeper) go with the silver/natural. If you don't mind standing out a bit more, the black is the way to go (that would be my choice).

Back