Wheel Bearing problems

lrotruck

:
2007 Mazda CX-7
Hello, I am new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been addressed. Has anyone experienced problems with wheel bearing replacements? I had loud tire noise for awhile, only to be sold a new set of tires at approx. 25,000 miles. The noise did not go away after spending way too much on tires, so when I went to have the new tires rechecked, I was told the wheel bearing (rear) were bad. The dealer replaced the rear hub/bearings under warranty and it was ok for a month or so. Now, the noise is just as bad as it started with ("th-th-th" sound) originally, and will probably need front ones replaced..but now the dealer is saying that I am past my warranty...isn't this a problem? (I have approx. 48,000 miles on it now)

Very unusual in any vehicle I've owned. Maybe another shop opinion before spending $$. You might want to check with the area factory rep

Try the owners manual as a round-a-bout way. Wheel bearing can be a safety issue so start there.

Warranty law states that if you bring up a warranty issue and it is unresolved, then the warranty is indefinite until it is fixed under warranty.

to check the wheel bearing, jack your car up, grab the top and bottom of the wheel, and try to "wiggle" the wheel. if it moves, your wheel bearing is shot. if it doesn't, thats not your problem. also, the noise you hear will be almost like a grinding, and only when you have the wheel turned, or only when straight and stops when you turn the wheel.

for reference, the only wheel bearing i have ever had replaced was at 80,000 miles.

Wheel Bearing noise

Take a look on your warranty book. Wheel bearings are covered for 60k miles. I looked because I have been having this droning noise at hwy speeds. Thought maybe tires, maybe bearings, don't know yet. But at least I confirmed when my warranty is up. And I'm at 51k right now.

I agree that wheel bearings are part of the power train warranty. Check your owners manual. In addition; since the problem is on the dealers service record, you are covered untill it is fixed period.

Last edited:
Wheel Bearing noise

Mine turned out to be tire noise. At about 28k on tires the edges were feathering, creating the noise. Les Schwab replaced tires under warranty and ...no noise.

I've had an Altima w/ 130k miles and an Explorer with 200k miles and never replaced a wheel bearing. My sister on the hand had to replace the rears on her Malibu at 75k.

Just got my 07 back from the dealer after having had the left rear bearing replaced, 34k miles on the clock. Finally it's quiet in the car again.

Not so uncommon...

I had a Nissan Murano immediately before my CX-7. I too had a 60K drive train warranty and they had to replace a rear bearing ($650.00) at 59,850. How's that for cuttin' it close !!

It's not the first one I've replaced on cars I own...

Regards-
Frank.

I heard a noise from the rear of the car and dropped at the dealer, he just call me and sad that it was a rear left bearing and priced at $550 (unamused)
My car has 40,000 on it so I told him what about Power train warranty. He sad he will call me back. What a ripoff if it was some one that doesn't know ,they will charge him 550. He called me back and told me that indeed it falls under the warranty.

CX7 Rear Wheel Bearing Issue - dealer scam?

I too had rear wheel bearing noise from 2007 CX7 at 51000 miles, dealer in southeastern Mass (abt 8 months ago). I left the car and was called back and told it was the rear driver wheel bearing, I dont recall the exact price but it floored me. He didnt tell me it was covered. I looked it up online, and found that the wheel bearings are explicitly mentioned in powertrain warranty, called dealer back and they essentially said "imagine that, I guess its covered then!".

From the other post below, I'm starting to believe this is a systemic scam by the dealers, either that or they are dumb as a box of rocks, which I do not believe. This is only a minor contributor, but I will never again buy a Mazda (and this is my 1st).

He called me back and told me that indeed it falls under the warranty.
For the rear bearings it falls under the power train warranty ONLY if the car is AWD :)
I had the same problem with the rear right bearing at about 43k miles.

The dealers are CROOKS... Thank god for the internet and all DIY's pictures and video's. I have saved thousands jsut by doing a little resaerch and doing the job myself..

I'm going to try replacing my rear wheel bearings on my '07 AWD cx-7 with 103,000 miles. I thought it was the tires but the guy at the mazda dealer told me it was the rear bearings. They want $958. My dad is going to do it actually, any special tools needed?

Back