Wheel bearing gone bad possibly??

blackmsp003

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Hey noticed I have sort of grinding noise coming from the front end mostly when I turn left is the worse but when I turn right it happens as well. Would that possibly be the wheel bearings? I'l try to get a video asap.

Sounds like my current issue. Except mine is mostly when turning right.

Does it go away if the steering wheel is perfectly straight?

Yep.

So now we're both here with the same symptoms, and we don't know WTF is wrong, lol. At least I'm not alone...

Well I am bringing mine in this week to get the cause of the weird sound/vibration diagnosed. I will let you know what we find.

It's your wheel bearing. You need to follow specific instructions to not have them wear out again. Also, but OEM from onlinemazdaparts.com. $33 for an OEM bearing is well worth it and they are better than the crap you get from AutoZone.

Read through and follow these instructions. The MSP OEM wheel bearing must be installed in a certain orientation, and it will come with instructions on which way it goes.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123755284&highlight=bearing
The MSP does not come with the seal on the back from the factory, so you need to order it as well.

Thanks guys!

It's funny cause my brother called the shop today (he used to work for them) and got me a appointment and was talking to the owner, and he said same thing. Wheel bearing. Hopefully Wednesday it'll be fixed.

Trusted shop? Otherwise, be prepared to replace it again in less than 2 years. I'll be on my third front left wheel bearing within a few weeks because I didn't do it myself the first time and the second time I couldn't get the axle out.

Not really the shop that is "trusted" but the tech that's gonna be doing it is. Best I've met, and my buddy owns another shop that turns out 1000hp cars. He's not even as good as this tech. So I'm not worried. About to call Mazda now and see if they have one locally.

Thanks guys I figured it was. I'm thinking of just replacing the entire hub assembly. Yea its a lil bit more money but figured it would be the best and easiest route lol.

Well the car got dropped off this morning, and the tech said my wheel bearings were crazy. They said it doesn't look like normal wheel bearing failure, and that they failed from all the cornering I do ( I auto-x regularly).

edit: forgot to add both mine were bad. The right wasn't as bad as the left though.

Thanks guys I figured it was. I'm thinking of just replacing the entire hub assembly. Yea its a lil bit more money but figured it would be the best and easiest route lol.
I'm doing the same thing. Firestone replaced my bearing in April because I couldn't get the axle out and it's already going bad. They are replacing it again under warranty but as a backup plan I bought a spindle, hub, and axle assembly from a salvage yard.

Well the car got dropped off this morning, and the tech said my wheel bearings were crazy. They said it doesn't look like normal wheel bearing failure, and that they failed from all the cornering I do ( I auto-x regularly).

edit: forgot to add both mine were bad. The right wasn't as bad as the left though.
My front left went at around 60000 miles, then again at 86000 miles, and again at 90000 miles. The right one went around 86000 miles and I replaced that one with OEM Mazda parts and it's still rock solid and dead quiet. Maybe a trend of front left wheel bearing failure?

My front left went at around 60000 miles, then again at 86000 miles, and again at 90000 miles. The right one went around 86000 miles and I replaced that one with OEM Mazda parts and it's still rock solid and dead quiet. Maybe a trend of front left wheel bearing failure?

Prehaps.

I am replacing both with OEM Mazda bearings. Unfortunately it is not going to be cheap. $357.85 estimate (w/tax). I just simply do not have the time to do it myself or I would and save the money. The bearings are $52/piece at the shops cost.

That's actually not that bad. Most shops charge a basic $200-$250 per wheel bearing job and they use whatever crap they can find from local auto parts stores. That's why I bought a press :)

Looks like I'l be having Mazda do the wheel bearing after all since either way you need a press apparantly :( Then again NY isn't to far away... So what's up livelyjay busy? haha

Funny thing is I'm actually going to be doing my friend's Protege wheel bearing this weekend. I'm getting pretty good at them.

Turns out the axle spun inside the spindle. I went down there this morning, it basically welded itself to the spindle. What was a $350 job is now going to cost around $1k. FML!!!

Get onto car-part.com and start searching for axles for the MSP. I just got done doing the same thing and purchased the hub, spindle, and axle for $120 shipped. What sucks is the place I just bought it from is in your backyard in Knoxville. There's a place in NC that might have everything. Hop onto that site, find the axle (or search for a 5 lug hub), and contact the salvage yard.

Get onto car-part.com and start searching for axles for the MSP. I just got done doing the same thing and purchased the hub, spindle, and axle for $120 shipped. What sucks is the place I just bought it from is in your backyard in Knoxville. There's a place in NC that might have everything. Hop onto that site, find the axle (or search for a 5 lug hub), and contact the salvage yard.

Well they actually beat the axle out and got everything back together. Looks like I'm saved.

Back