Wheel Bearing Failure

ilvrr1

:
06 MX-5 Touring/08 CX-9 Grand Touring
Local Mazda dealer just confirmed/replaced right front wheel bearing on our 2008 CX-9 AWD. Thought it might be tires.....noise just got worse. Car is now "quiet". Mazda rep at service desk as I made repair appt. said bearing failure very rare. I must be getting ready to hit the lottery!

How many miles do you have on the vehicle when this happened? It would be good to know when to expect this type of failure.

I have just over 30K on a 2008 CX-9 AWD GT. Mazda rep says "northeast winters play hell with all components in their cars".

I have had both rear wheel bearings replaced and now the front right is noisy. 67K miles. These things should last to 120K at least. Going to dealer tomorrow to see what they say

My father had a 08 CX9 GT and his front right wheel bearing was on it's way out when he returned it on lease with about 35-40K miles. It is a very subtle noise, not like other cars I have had where the bearings went out. He thought it was tire noise too. Now he has a '11 CX9 GT and has no issues so far.

How many miles do you have on the vehicle when this happened? It would be good to know when to expect this type of failure.

My front right bearing went at 35K miles. Dealer replaced both front bearings. IMHO this is pretty surprising. This is the kind of thing that shouldn't happen before 100K. Dealer didn't indicate that it was a common problem with CX-9s.

i've sold 6 since 2008 and 4 were done under warranty around 30 to 40k

the other two were done @ 120k and yes i am in the northeast.

i don't have any gripes on the cx-9 it's a very nice car and it's very reliable from what i've seen.

My RF bearing was bad at 51,000 miles (a ton of play). The car is from CA and has spent the last two years in Las Vegas.

Back