What's YOUR lame excuse...

+ friction

Contributor
:
P5
What's YOUR lame excuse for going with AT? And don't you regret it now?

Is it availability? The fact that you or your codriver "can't" drive a stick? Laziness?

Mine? Rush hour traffic - I can't juggle my smokes, coffee, radio surfing and a stick in stop & go traffic that early in the morning.

And yes, I do regret it.

:wtf: was I thinking??

I never bothered to learn. I do want to learn one day, but I'd only drive stick on a fast car - not a protege.

As I sit in DC traffic for 1-3 hours at a time, I sometimes regret getting a stick. But very rarely.

MarkSpark said:
I never bothered to learn. I do want to learn one day, but I'd only drive stick on a fast car - not a protege.

LOL - yeah, guess it almost cheapens the feel of some cars. But ironically the protege would be faster with a stick.

Oh well...

a stick on a car like my p5 is kinda lame unless i want to mod the hell out of it, shifting every 20 mph gets old in houston, especially on 59... i thinks manuals are more open road, not bumper to bumper

Im not unhappy i got a stick (all msp's come with) but i frekin hate the crappy gear ratio in the protege tranny, 1st is soooo horrible.

Do you think I ever wanted Auto !(argh) I had no choice my first car when I first started driving, I drove around in a 94' mistubishi expo that my dad let me have. I do miss that car b/c I usto do stupid s*** in it. Well anyway once I graduated highschool my mom decided to surprise me and I told her before this that I wanted stick no matter what, but no she got me an auto :( I'am :D however that it was a P5. The reason she wanted an auto for me is so that she could drive it around as well. Well she decided later on that she did'nt want to drive my car anymore. Then I began to mod it; So that's how I got stuck w/ an auto. That's my sad story, but I decided to keep the car and just drive it around. After my warranty is up I plan to drop in a hi-boost turbokit and run like 4-5 psi of boost and maybe some nitrous.

And yes I do regret it everysingle day:wtf: were my parents thinking. But I have learned to deal with it and I just plan to just beat the hell our of the car when the warranty is up and just have fun w/it and till it's dying day. But the next car I do get will be stick no matter what.

Last edited:
my bad excuse: i had been waiting for a car, any car for like a year, and i wanted to drive it home, i JUST HAD TO ******* DRIVE IT HOME and i didnt want to not be able to drive it without having to learn how to drive stick

god damn me...
first time i ever tried driving stick, i did decent, 2nd time, i did awesome...i can haul ass in my friends rsx type-s no problem

i have no lame excuse atually why do people with stick make such a big ****** deal outa it.....haha look at me i can shift a stick congradufuckinlations want a prize.......i could care less who knows how to move a stick up and down and left to right...so yah i drive an at and am happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehhe all the cars i've had to drive were stick...'00 rav 4 L, '91 miata, '03.5 msp...i learned how to drive in a manual first :D the only thing i regret is that my mom got a '02 rav 4 L but it's an auto-slush box. hahaha i juggled eating, changing radio, and shifting in traffic before...it helps if u knoe how to hold the wheel w/ ur knees. oh yeah, i'm now a pro at shifting with my left hand due to the fact that my girlfriend always wants to hold my hand whenever i drive.

For those of you that reply with "i can't drive and eat...etc" with a 5 speed, listen to this. I saw a guy next to me today at an intersection eating a burrito with his left hand, and talking talking on his cell phone with his right hand. I wanted to bust out my camera so bad...I thought, well, he must have an AT, and he's steering with his knees. I've done it before, for a brief second to switch CD's...Well, when traffic starts rolling, he keeps the burrito in his left hand, switches the phone to his left shoulder and cocks his head sideways to keep it in place, and leans over TO SHIFT!! Holy crap. I'd like to see a woman do that without crashing...

haha, my friend tops you all, cell phone against his ear and shoulder, taco in one hand, and a slurpee in the other....shifting and holding a slurpee with the same hand. what a pimp

I uh... have one arm. Yea thats a good one. But yea I do regret it now, can't add a turbo, but I will, just gottta strengthen my transmission and will be the fastest Sportronic PR5 in the WORLD BWAHAHAHAHA.....(clears throat) sorry

Stealth5 said:
haha, my friend tops you all, cell phone against his ear and shoulder, taco in one hand, and a slurpee in the other....shifting and holding a slurpee with the same hand. what a pimp

hahaha i do that a lot too...i'll be holding a drink of some sort with my thumb and index fingers...then shift w/ the three remaining fingers. the miata requires a lot of tricks when u don't have a cupholders ! ;)

Why did I get an auto? I was in an accident with my previous car and that car was totaled. Seeing as I am the only one out of three drivers that can drive stick and we only had one other car it just wouldn't have worked out.

Do I regret it, No why would I. To regret something means you wish you could take it back. Well I can't, but it doesn't matter because I might be spending money on a turbo instead of collecting fat cash in the bank for my next car, a WRX, and yes it will be stick so no one else can drive it.

My dad always takes my car to tool arround town in. I am sure that will change when he gets his AWD G35 because I will take it till I get my new one :)

yeah.. i can't deal with auto..im too jittery and anxious..have to shift or something..if I wasn't shifting i would probably be waving one hand out the window wildly..

As I see it, there are two ways to have a lot of fun in a car:

1. Working a moderately powerful engine hard with a stick.
2. Working a seriously powerful hard with the throttle.

Since the P5 lacks the power for #2, that leaves #1. Frankly, I prefer #1, because you can then have fun at quasi-legal speeds.

Another way to put this: to have fun in an automatic it's generally necessary to have serious horsepower.

Conversely, if you have serious horsepower, a stick is less necessary to have fun. But it still helps.

Why is a stick so good? Frankly, for me it has more to do with the clutch than the shifter. I feel much more connected to and in control of the car when I can modulate the timing of gear changes and power transfer with the clutch. Consequently, manumatics don't do it for me, even though with good ones you can time shifts nearly as well. I just never feel nearly as connected with what's going on with a manumatic. It might just be psychological, but that's reality for me.

Back