Whats the Pros and Cons to a Speed3

speedracr79

BAD WOLF
Contributor
:
Protege
My cousin is looking to to get a new vehicle and was asking about a speed3 and wanted to know about them of course i dont know much about them so i come to you guys. So basically whats the pros and cons to the speed3 why should he get one ove another vehicls. Of course i want him to get one anyways since its a Mazda but any help is appreciated.

I bought my MS3 because it looks good, handles well, and is fairly quick. I usually don't make convenience features much of a factor for me, but the keyless system has been a nice perk. Mazdas in general aren't as common, so you stand apart from the crowd right off the bat.

Most other cars near the same price point will have better fuel economy, but won't have the same fun to drive factor.

Your cousin just needs to drive one. I test drove my first Mazda, a Protege5, as a joke. After driving it, I went ahead and bought it, despite the pathetic power and quirky looks. The "looks" grew on me. The MS3 doesn't have either of those issues.

coming from an 2007 mazdaspeed3 (traded it in for the 2012 speed3) i have enjoyed the mazdaspeed3 in genral and love how it handles(as GNO mentioned) and just love the body.
the car is awesome off the lot , the only down sides to the speed3 are as mentioned about the fuel economy and that your pumping 91+ octane but i have another car for fuel economy so getting this car for me was never about fuel econmy

im pretty much just resaying what GNO has said , but the car is very fun to drive and does stand out

Well, actually, fuel economy depends entirely on how you drive it. Granted, its meant to be driven hard, but when you drive it easily, you can achieve very good mileage...

Pic is from a month ago. Ive gotten even 26 mpg also (several times)... Its veeeeery hard to control your heavy foot but, when you do, you can have good fuel economy...

Also, consider that i live in Mexico City, so lots of stop & go traffic which destroys fuel economy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 436
^^ thats pretty good El Speed3, im hoping i get that kind of mpg after motor is broken in , i drive easily , just coming from the 2007 speed3 i averaged about 21-22.7 but i know the 2nd gens have better gearing and minor improvements so im looking foreward to getting about 26 mpg (not bad for this car in all honesty)

Well, actually, fuel economy depends entirely on how you drive it. Granted, its meant to be driven hard, but when you drive it easily, you can achieve very good mileage...

Pic is from a month ago. Ive gotten even 26 mpg also (several times)... Its veeeeery hard to control your heavy foot but, when you do, you can have good fuel economy...

Also, consider that i live in Mexico City, so lots of stop & go traffic which destroys fuel economy...

My average is about 27mpg with an average speed of 32. I've gotten over 36mpg, but that's taking it real easy while cruising on highway. In my opinion, at this day and age "good" fuel economy would be closer to 40 on highway. Tough at the performance level of the MS3, but possible.

There are a number of issues with car such as:
Restrictive intake system
Weak motor mounts
Undersized intercooler and extreme heat soak issues
Undersized turbo with WG issues
Too many clamps on the ECU for Mazda Engineering
Suspension is solid, RSB needs to be replaced as there is too much sway
Interior is butt ugly and some of it can be fixed on a very small budget
Stereo is weak even with the upgraded system
Etc, etc, etc.......

Of course all can be fixed and the majority of owners will correct the issues fairly quickly. This is an engine that would love to be at 400 hp and above. It is too bad Mazda did not see fit to strengthen nternals so that bolt-ons and tuning could exceed the 400 mark without some concerns.

With all that said, I still like my car but I have corrected the majority of the above issues or in some stage of ungrading an item the needs some help.

Z

I think if your buying this car thinking it needs 400 plus horsepower, then spend your money on something else. At this price point don't expect a Corvette killer like some of these guys on here..as mentioned the Pro's are it is a fun car out of the box and the Con's are the premium fuel..but if you know that from the start then its not a big deal.
Also remember its front wheel drive and even with a few power mod's..this thing just lights up the front tires..anything more than a few bolt ons is almost pointless. The car has some weak links that are easily replaced if you feel the need to with plenty of good vendors on hand to help. My 2nd Gen is still stock and I've had it for about 8 month's now if that says anything, I have been modding cars for over 20 years now. ;)

Last edited:
I did not state I was looking for 400 hp or a Vette killer. I stated the cons with the car, stated that 400 hp is easily achievable and stated it is a shame that Mazda did not strengthen the internals. Reading is Fundamental. At 310 hp, excessive 1st and 2nd gear wheel spin has been minimized thru the AP but someone with your experience would have known that many issues can be minimized utilizing ATR/AP. If you need help with map, let me know.

Z

The speed3 is the MAC DADDY of the Mazdas. You cannot get a top model of any other brand...especially this fast....for under 25k. Just unreal value and, when driven moderately, it is possible to achieve great MPG's. If you're young and can afford the insurance and gas there's basically nothing you can complain about!

I did not state I was looking for 400 hp or a Vette killer. I stated the cons with the car, stated that 400 hp is easily achievable and stated it is a shame that Mazda did not strengthen the internals. Reading is Fundamental. At 310 hp, excessive 1st and 2nd gear wheel spin has been minimized thru the AP but someone with your experience would have known that many issues can be minimized utilizing ATR/AP. If you need help with map, let me know.

Z

I do not think he is looking for this type of answer? Really? I do not think the gentleman asking for pros and cons expected someone to say that the con was: 400 hp is easily achievable, but internals were not made correctly. I'm assuming the person interested in purchasing this speed in not inclined to make this a "vette killer," but I could be wrong. He's probably needing friendly informative answers from our kind community.

I love my speed and as stated above, it's a great daily driver but gas is expensive. But most turbos are. I would tell your friend to test drive it and the others and see what feels best to you. I've had my gen 2 for 2 yrs, and nothing is wrong with it. I just love it, and the face has grown on me- I never see a car similar to the looks of the speed unless it's another speed. Happy shopping!

Z
Z, my response wasn't geared towards you..it was kinda of general statement of some of the mentallity on this and other forums with the speed3's, I have nothing against anybody wanting a high Hp car at all..I love power!! but I think if thats your main goal.. then I would buy something else..thats all I was trying to say..no pun intended!!

I had a 2011 Mazda2, which was a great car, but I wanted more. In the price range of a MS3 I don't think there is anything that's turbo charged as a hatch. WRX or a Rallyart are the next closest in North America. I was originally going to go with an SI, but you seem to get a lot more with the MS3. Plus if you care, tons of aftermarket from what I can tell.

Cons are:
Premium fuel, I don't think it's the best looking car. I'm starting to get some rattling, which is annoying. Interior color scheme is okay. You have to be a driver and want something that makes you pay attention. If you gas it be ready for some torque steer. This isn't really a con for me. I find the shifting isn't as smooth as hondas I've had, or even the m2.

Disjointed though process going on here...
In the end I've had my ms3 for about three weeks, and I'm LOVING it.

I stated the cons with the car, stated that 400 hp is easily achievable and stated it is a shame that Mazda did not strengthen the internals. Reading is Fundamental.

Did you ever think that Mazda doesn't want you to achieve 400 hp in a front wheel drive mini-wagon? WTF good would it do you to have 400 hp unless you like spinning and buying new tires. Or torque steering into a ******* tree. Driving Fundamentals.

I traded in my '08 Mazda 3s GT for a new '11 Speed3 there in SA. I was tired of not having speed as my Speed3 has straight from the factory.

What I hate about the Speed3 is:

1) No Sunroof
2) Tires always love to spin up front. lol
3) You always hear interior noise/rattles

Other than that, get the Speed3!!!!

Cons
Factory rattles and noises that can never be fixed
Rear motor mount needs to be upgraded
Factory fuel pump needs to be upgraded
Runs pig rich stock, back bumper and exhaust tips forever dirty
Known to have toe in problems
Needs 91 minimum
Stupid smiley grille
All the Genwun guys will make fun of stupid smiley grille

Pros
Handles like a champ stock
Bolt on parts make real power
Factory LSD
A real sleeper car
Fully bolted and tuned, this s*** moves.

Best car I ever bought for under 24k.

Last edited:
Back