what would i have to do to my car if i want to get 300 hps out of my engine

rar40941

:
mazda protege5 2.0
hey guys just wanted to now what the hell i have to do to my engine to pump out 300 hps of course turbo, full cam, and new pistens ect. but is it posible to do it on a mp5 cause i see guys do it on a normale protege all the time???

Protege 5 and protege are same thing with the 2.0 there's no difference in powertrain except for the mp3 and mazdaspeed.its possible,expensive and still slow but possible. Most people I've seen on here are in the mid 200s some are over 300 depends on your budget.

even if you get that much power, its still slow.. 5k+ for that, total engine rebuild, port polish, big turbo, then the motor will still prolly fail on you..

you got to be kidding me.... most protege are worth no more then 6 or 7k you want to spend 10K on it??? for that money you can get a car that had 300 out of the box.....

^yeah. Think it through.

What is your budget?
Did you include maintenance too?
Best to pay off the car first if you still owe on it...

sheesh....crush the guys dreams why dont ya...if YOU want to make 300 whp you should fully build the motor...just so you have a solid platform to start with.

Well ok thanks guys I have always wondered if it was posible it is but Ur engine will blow and I don't have the money and I don't make much cause I am 18 and still go to school so ya first thing I am goingto do is lower my car then get braces on the under body and then start working on the engine but y does everyone say it's still slow after making it 300 hps the power to wight would be like amazing ??

300 HP isntgmuch for the money you spend to do it.ullbstill be in mid 13s which is what a lot of cars do stock now. That and they're a lil on the heavy side the only thing tht they're good for is handling and looks depending on ur taste

you can get around 230-240hp out of the stock motor. If you just want to build the bottom end and no headwork. You can possibly save a penny depending on labor rates at different machine shops in your area. With full bolt ons and I mean FULL BOLT ONS and maybe a GT28rs or 2871, you can reach that goal. The most important thing would be tuning. I don't know how solid the capabilities are with the SSAFC or SSFTC at that power level, so others would probably tell you to pick up a standalone EMS like Haltech for tuning. Next, our transmissions aren't that great. At that power level, our gearset starts to pull apart from each other at the point where the gear teeth are barely meshing together. That's when you start shredding gears. PAR engineering offers gearsets and reinforcements for our gearset. But that will definitely be a pretty penny. Since you have a p5, you will probably benefit from a LSD like an Mfactory. Im not even going to mention Quaife since you are still in school. Or settle for a welded MSP LSD. Solid motor mounts would help a lot, a better clutch/flywheel that can hold the power. Maybe a water/meth kit to cool temps down even more. I could go on and on with this but you see where Im going with it. The money adds up quickly and once you order one thing, its already time to order something else to make that one thing perform better, and it's an ongoing process. The more power you make, you WILL want more. 300hp? now lets go for 350, then 400. Look at some of the other big turbo proteges on the forum. Their builds and power levels will speak for themselves. Hell, even me, I just said I was going to do intake and exhaust. Now look at my sig..lol I will be fully built after my next deployment to Iraq in a couple of months. So with that being said, think everything through first before throwing random parts at the car. There is a buid thread in one of the MSP subforums. Look at the different builds to get an idea on where to start on your build and how to start saving up for what parts first. Any questions, feel free to ask. Happy Modding

Last edited:
Just to add my .02 if your wanting something rediculously fast I would get a foxbody mustang tht somebody blewup. And use your p5 as a dd or a dualcam 240sx it will pull on a 4.6 mustang if u can drive it. I don't think our cars were meant to be fast just handle good and look good

dude that mp5 is sick well i will do all the sepention and brakes and tranie before i got to the engine it self but ya man ur sick if u go to my youtube u can check out what i have its the same streen name but ya i under stand on the part i want more i just want my power to weight to e like 1 to 10 mabey if i am lucky 1to 5 but i dont think do so ya man i will add u as a friend so i can ask u all the quesions i have about my car thanks for helping me man

The best thing you can do is get an mp3 Ecu or that's what everybody says I can't vouch for it though

Engine swap a turbo'd rotary? I think for the 10-12k (car plus 5k tuning), might as well of gotten another car.

dude that mp5 is sick well i will do all the sepention and brakes and tranie before i got to the engine it self but ya man ur sick if u go to my youtube u can check out what i have its the same streen name but ya i under stand on the part i want more i just want my power to weight to e like 1 to 10 mabey if i am lucky 1to 5 but i dont think do so ya man i will add u as a friend so i can ask u all the quesions i have about my car thanks for helping me man

what mp5? If you are talking about my sig, that's a MSP.. lol

If its too personal don't worry about it but about how much do you have invested in ur car and whts it run on the dyno/ drag strip?

^if I had to guess
8k-10k in mods (not including blood, sweat, and tears)
WHP???? 225min but probably over 250
1/4mi????? Low 14s high 13s?

To get to 300whp will take a lot of effort and lots of boost. I'm running 9psi with a ssafc ssm and get nearly 210whp. There are ppl here that's done it. Try checking out the dyno sheet thread and see what mods they have.

Last edited:
Back